300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 CBS Special

Did anyone see the CBS Special tonign (3/10/02)? I thought it was absolutly sobering. I will post more on it tomorowow. I am too tired tonight and need to go to bed because I have exams all week.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Jeffrey ]
    Sincerely,

Jeffrey

I thought it was incredible. I wasn't going to watch, but i am so glad that i did.

Getting it from that perspective was amazing. I also liked that words weren't censored, and the real scenes weren't either. And the music added to the emotion. Truly a film of history, as they said, but so much more.
    "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I also liked that words weren't censored, and the real scenes weren't either.
      Normally, I feel that the s-word f-word, etc, should be censored on TV. This includes movies and various things where it does not need to be there. Jellybean, I couldn't agree with you more that this time it was very appropriate. It would have been very stupid with half of the sound missing. It did not bother me because it was real and a terroist situation. This time I am really going to bed but will go into detail about it tommorow. It was one of the best documentaries I have seen thus far and feel it deserves many awards. I also would like to publically thank Nextel for paying to provide 2 hours of comercial free programming. It would have been ashame if 1/2 hour of it was missing due to commercials.
      Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Comment

Yes the words needed to be there because they only added to the reality of it.

I dont normally want to see vomiting either, but even that part made me cry.

I agree that it was award-winning material.
        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Well dern it I missed it.

Klar
          Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

It was really good. I'm sure they'll show it again. Klar wish I'd taped it so I could send it to you. Maybe someone else has a copy if they don't show it again soon.
            Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

I plan to take a few moments out of my normal routine this morning to stop and remember those who lost their lives six months ago from a savage terroristic attack upon our nation. The fact that America is changed and more united right now is good but it is sad that it took something like this to do it. I hope to be able to see the special I am sure someone somewhere has a copy and I am sure that if I contacted CBS itself I could get a copy. I hope everyone takes some time out of thier routines today to remember those brave fire and policepersons who risks their lives to save thousands of others. My hat is off to all who have lost their lives and my thoughts are on them and their families.

Klar

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: klar ]
              Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

It was good. There were two things I didn't like however. One, they didn't show any of the bodily injuries other than the firman with a busted and bleeding nose. Now, I am not saying that I want to see this, although I would have watched, but they said in the commercials that this would be a 100% real inside look of what happened. It was not, the people who actually made the tape, two french borthers, came right out and said that the tape had been edited. You can't show someone something so historic, and obviously barbaric, and then edit it to be rated PG-13. Just my thoughts on that.

The other thing that annoyed me. When did this turn out to be a film about firemen? I was told, and the commercials forthe tape said it would be about 9/11. What about the Pentagon? How about the plane that went down in PA? Those at least got a mention, but how about police officers? They weren't mentioned ONCE. Not right. If the film was going to be about a fireman "becoming a man", they should have said that, not just titled the film "9/11" and aired it to misinformed viewers. These are just my thoughts on it.

Jay

Comment

IIRC, the two borthers were filming for a show (i forget the name...but it airs on CBS) just like "COPS", only they follow firefighters around instead of police.

also, the 9/11 show was trying to raise money for a college fund for FF's children.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-13:
                    IIRC, the two borthers were filming for a show (i forget the name...but it airs on CBS) just like "COPS", only they follow firefighters around instead of police.

also, the 9/11 show was trying to raise money for a college fund for FF's children.
                    The brothers came up with an idea along with an FDNY Lieutenant to make a documentary of a proby becoming a man.

I just felt very mislead and, perhaps, as a police officer, a little betrayed.

Jay

Comment

It was too bad that they didn't really mention the officers and what they did that day, but I guess it's understandable since they were following a firefighter for their documentary. It's neat that they were there and able to get that footage. It sure gave me a different perspective.
                      Law abiding citizens sleep peacefully in their beds solely because dedicated men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

It looked to me like at the end some of the pictures were law officers, but i could be wrong.

I guess the title was misleading, but in the promo i heard, it was said that it was film shot during the making of a FF documentary, so that's what i was prepared for.

Yeah, they did edit out alot of the injuries/bodies... maybe they think it's still too soon to show it to the public, i dont know.

Comment

I thought the documentary was amazing. I understand how LEO's may feel unappreciated because the police were ignored in the documentary itself. However, it was stated that the original intent of the filmmakers film was supposed to be about the "Proby" becoming a firefighter. I would like to point out that in the "breaks" they did take in the film, they featured many LEO's from all over the US. I also felt it was a blatant fundraising effort by the firefighter's union. No problem with that, but is there a fund for the NYPD and Port Authority officers' families, too?

I tend to agree with CopInNYthat the title was not an accurate title. I too, would liked to have seen info about the Pentagon and the plane in PA. I especially would have liked to see something about the NYPD and Port Authority Officers who were involved or killed included in the film.

The most haunting images for me?? The sound of people and debris landing outside; the looks of absolute disbelief on the firefighters' faces; the footage of the collapse of the first tower to fall,
                          from the perspective of being inside the second tower. This documentary will haunt me for a long time.

Here's hoping for a documentary about the effect on the LEO's. Ya'll hang in there. Everyone (with a brain) knows and appreciates the strength of character, perseverance, bravery and compassion of LEO's.
                          "Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks." -Forrest Gump

Comment

brave fire and policepersons
                            Klar, you can be a little politically incorrect and call them fire and policemen. We won't bite! Or at least I won't! All of the law enforcement and fire fighter officers that were killed were men.

Jay, I couldn't agree with you more. American support for the war has been dropping off (thanks to the far left liberals and University Professors). Many people need to see what "REALLY" happened. I remember when it was happening live. I was switching between five channels to try and find out exactly what was going on. I was watching 3 at a time (one in the kitchen, one in PiP on our 27", and one on the main screen of our 27"). The five channels were FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and WB2.

I remember that one of the first cameras that was fairly close to it got a shot of something horrific. I remember they had zoomed into the lobby and were trying to videotape the firemen when a body "landed" on the light post. It was a person that had jumped. When he hit the light post he literally "shattered" into what seemed like a million pieces. Just a second later, two more people hit the concrete about a half a second apart. This image has haunted me since I first saw it. I have never seen a person literally shatter. This all took place in under two seconds. They immediately switched to a different scene. Obviously they weren
                            Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Comment

It is absolute luck that those two film makers happened to be Johnny on the spot and capture such an intensely horrific moment in world history. To see what it was like for those personally involved, and not some a-hole newsperson, touched my deeply. This was definitely an amazing piece of film.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5203 users online. 285 members and 4918 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X