300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process Servers

I was wondering if the are LE jobs that specifically serve process and do civil law enforement? If so what agencies?

they are called " SHERIFF'S OFFICES' IN MOST STATES.....
    in texas, the office of constable also serves paper fromthe court.

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

[QUOTE=ftlaudcop]they are called " SHERIFF'S OFFICES' IN MOST STATES.....
      in texas, the office of constable also serves paper fromthe court.

I am aware that a sheriff's office does do this however I want to know if agencies test for positions the soley provide this service. I know some big cities have what they call a city marshall. Does anyone know what the New York City Sheriff does besides the service of process?

Comment

The NYC Sheriffs mainly serve civil process. They tow cars, enforce court orders, and arrest deadbeat parents. However, they also can make arrests for criminal violations and issue traffic tickets. They're offering an exam next June. You can find out more on their website, www.nycdsa.org. This website gives detailed info about their authority and what they do.

Comment

in most of ny that is handled by the civil division of the county sheriffs office.

Comment

The California Highway Patrol serves process and performs civil seizures on behalf of smaller state regulatory agencies such as the Franchise Tax Board (state income tax) and the Board of Equalization (state sales tax).

CHP performs till taps, inventory seizures, vehicle seizures and equipment seizures. They also auction these items off to satisfy tax liens.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Some Sheriff's Office's in NY employ civil deputies who only have peace officer powers and are usually unarmed and (obviously) they only do civil process.

Some Office's also use road patrol deputies to do civil process and enforcement like the Suffolk County Sheriff.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                Some Sheriff's Office's in NY employ civil deputies who only have peace officer powers and are usually unarmed and (obviously) they only do civil process.

Some Office's also use road patrol deputies to do civil process and enforcement like the Suffolk County Sheriff.
                That is true and actually my local sheriff has deputies who soley serve process. Recently their union sued the sheriff's office for not letting them carry firearms

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
                  That is true and actually my local sheriff has deputies who soley serve process. Recently their union sued the sheriff's office for not letting them carry firearms

good luck on that lol. civil deputies do not need firearms.

this is the same unions that are mad at each other because the jailor deputies recently switched to navy blues same as the road patrol.

It is kind of sad when the union is suing another union lol.

a easy fix is giving the jail deputies a rocker above the patch that says "corrections".

the public In my opinion has the right to know the difference between a road patrol deputy and a deputy who is in sum and substance a corrections officer in this county.

Comment

Originally posted by mark7777

this is the same unions that are mad at each other because the jailor deputies recently switched to navy blues same as the road patrol.

a easy fix is giving the jail deputies a rocker above the patch that says "corrections".

the public In my opinion has the right to know the difference between a road patrol deputy and a deputy who is in sum and substance a corrections officer in this county.
                    Its not the simple lol. A few years ago, the Suffolk County Correction Officer's Union tried to file a lawsuit because the deputy sheriff's got new leather jackets and switched to Blue uniforms (prior to this they wore gray like the CO's and just had a different shoulder patch and obviously the deputies carried guns where CO's are unarmed unless they are issued one for a transport, etc) and the CO's dident. I mean whats the big deal?

LT. EXPLORER, that was Onandonga (sp) County that sued right? What was the outcome?

Comment

In this city they do! I've been on some ride alongs. You have to see some of the places they go in the city. Most of all they work alone while the rpd has partners and easy backup

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                        Its not the simple lol. A few years ago, the Suffolk County Correction Officer's Union tried to file a lawsuit because the deputy sheriff's got new leather jackets and switched to Blue uniforms (prior to this they wore gray like the CO's and just had a different shoulder patch and obviously the deputies carried guns where CO's are unarmed unless they are issued one for a transport, etc) and the CO's dident. I mean whats the big deal?

LT. EXPLORER, that was Onandonga (sp) County that sued right? What was the outcome?
                        Maybe Onandonga did sue, after monroe county did. The sheriff said that if they want firearms they need to go through a full police academy and if they fail they risk losing their jobs. A few deps. did not. It must have been fun to watch a bunch of old men run around the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
                          In this city they do! I've been on some ride alongs. You have to see some of the places they go in the city. Most of all they work alone while the rpd has partners and easy backup

If A Civil deputy feels threatened and hes In the city his job is call for RPD not pull a gun

and as you said most of the civil deputies in monroe county are so old they cant see the target anyways lol.

can those guys even see their "gunbelts"

can you imagine the lawsuit that would ensue with some old guy firing off rounds in the city at a target his cataracts could not let him see clearly?
                          most RPD officers ride solo when they need help they get on the radio and say so .
                          it is not a civil deputys job to play hero his job is to serve court papers.
                          Last edited by mark7777; 08-16-2005, 03:07 PM.

Comment

If A Civil deputy feels threatened and hes In the city his job is call for RPD not pull a gun

and as you said most of the civil deputies in monroe county are so old they cant see the target anyways lol.

can you imagine the lawsuit that would ensue with some old guy firing off rounds in the city at a target his cataracts could not let him see clearly?
                            How do you know so much about mcso? I don't think civil deputies can retire until age 62. Until recently they were on the olden day job card system

Comment

Originally Posted by mark7777

Maybe that's how it works in Monroe county, but not in NYC. NYC Deputy Sheriffs mainly serve civil process(as the NYPD handles most criminal matters), but they are authorized to enforce criminal laws as well. They drive marked patrol cars and carry firearms at all times. In addition, serving civil process in and of itself can be a dangerous job. Many people don't react kindly to having their cars towed due to unpaid tickets or being forced to pay overdue court expenses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5140 users online. 318 members and 4822 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X