300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risking your life

I know that LEO's put there life on the line every single time they go to work. That is not what this post is about. I am asking a serious question here.
    (I posted this question in here so everyone can answer)

Lets go back into time and say you were near the WTC towers on 9/11/01 before they fell. What would you do:

A) Run for life and save yourself

B) Run into the building after the brave NYFD and risk your life to save hundreds of others.

(I will post my question after a few have posted)

I would have had no problem going into those towers at the very moment is was happening. However, knowing what we all now now, no way in hell would I run into the buildings knowing they will fall. My children need me way too much.

The firefighters would not have ran into those towers if they thought expected them to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by 203pc

The firefighters would not have ran into those towers if they thought expected them to fall.

203pc, I do respect your answer and everything. Lets say its a burning hotel, and you can save 5 families by getting them out of there. Whatever means possible, and you just happened to get seriously hurt or killed. Wouldn't your kids be telling everyone that there dad is a hero and he save 5 families from burning alive.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
        203pc, I do respect your answer and everything. Lets say its a burning hotel, and you can save 5 families by getting them out of there. Whatever means possible, and you just happened to get seriously hurt or killed. Wouldn't your kids be telling everyone that there dad is a hero and he save 5 families from burning alive.
        I wouldn

Comment

Also remember that most of the NYPD officers got out before the collapse because their radio's worked at greater range than the NYFD's did, the NYPD called an evacuation which most of them got.

Personally it just depends on what the building looks like, if there are flames shooting out the door and windows, hell no am I going in, if it's just a lot of smoke and the flames haven't spread then yes I'll go in and look for anyone I can get out.

My number one goal is go home at the end of the night.
          Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

I have seriously pondered this type of question...really any situation in which you would risk/give up your life for someone else. Right now, unmarried and childless, I can say I definitely would. I'd like to say I would even if I had kids and a husband, but I just can't say it. I would hate to have to put my husband and kids through that. And when I think of my mom leaving me, I get very emotional, so I wouldn't want that for my kids. So right now, unmarried and childless I say yes if I don't have kids/husband, and no if I have kids/husband.

If I were in the towers, then I would do my best to get as many people out as I could, but I would also try to get myself out.

Comment

Everyone there that day was trying to do the right thing. No one could have forseen the towers falling. You sure as hell dont go in there trying to get killed. I think the last think any of the emergency personnel expected were those towers to come down.

Comment

Originally posted by 203pc
                I do what I can, when I can, for who ever I can, in the safest way I can. Then go home and drink a can (Edit: Sam Adams).

I love this quote.
                Hope you dont mind if I use it some time

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                  Are you intentionally overlooking the fact that a lot of brave COPS also died that day?

No not on purpose was I intentionally overlooking the NYPD at any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Praetorian
                    I have seriously pondered this type of question...really any situation in which you would risk/give up your life for someone else. Right now, unmarried and childless, I can say I definitely would. I'd like to say I would even if I had kids and a husband, but I just can't say it. I would hate to have to put my husband and kids through that. And when I think of my mom leaving me, I get very emotional, so I wouldn't want that for my kids. So right now, unmarried and childless I say yes if I don't have kids/husband, and no if I have kids/husband.

If I were in the towers, then I would do my best to get as many people out as I could, but I would also try to get myself out.

As of right now I am unmarried and no kids. So if something would happen today, I would run into the dangerous situation and try to save as many people as possible. I guess the way I look at it is if I save one person it really didn't mean to risk my life. But if I save two or 200 peoples life, I would gladly take the risk and do it.

Comment

The guys from the FDNY were told by their bosses NOT to enter the towers, but because the FDNY has absolutely no functioning chain of command, no one listened.

It did not help that they put their command post in the lobby of one of the towers.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
                        I think most police officers or fire fighters would rather come out safe and be able to continue supporting their families. Not trying to speak for them, I just know that's what I would do if I was in the situation.
                        "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4

Comment

IMO it's kind of pointless to throw about what if's. Sure you'd act differently if you had a crystal ball and knew that the junkie you were approaching was about to gun you down or that you were going to get struck by a m/v on a particualr traffic detail.

Unfortunately life (and this job) does not work like that. Stan made a good point about the NYFD, none of those guys thought "well, it's time to go in those buildings and get killed". You train and prepare yourself as best you can but there is no guarantee that you will come home safely. Risking your life is simply a part of this job- losing your life may be a consequence of it.
                          Last edited by BrickCop; 08-13-2005, 05:01 PM.
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Thanks for the great responses guys.

I for one would risk my life to help others out. That is just the type of person I am. And as of right now, nothing is going to change that. Maybe in 10 years when I have little toby's running around the house that would change.

Comment

That's pretty much what we all signed up for the day we decided to become police officers.

Handing over my life or taking stupid risks is not part of the job discription.

However risking our lives to save the lives of others, well no matter how you look at it, that is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4832 users online. 299 members and 4533 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X