Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigg Dogg
    replied
    Well he is agitated,that would send up Red Flags to me.The Trooper got out with his ticket book in his hand,which is a Cardinal sin.If not he could have done a quick draw and try to drop the suspect.But then again,there is no telling what was going through the troopers head.I would rather fight it out than take a bullet to the back of the head.A good example is Oklahoma Highway patrol Trooper Nickie Green that was Killed on Christmas 2003.Fought with a bad guy and then executed.And the bad guy knew the trooper just didn't want to go back to jail.If anyone can find that Dash Video,it would change alot of peoples mind on giving in to a suspect with a gun.

Leave a comment:

• ctt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
    No it is not normal to draw down on people that meet you outside of their car.Half of the stops I make,well maybe not half,but a good percentage will get out and come back to talk to me during my greeting.
    I never realized that was a regular occurence, does the driver doing that make you guys more nervous?

I guess in this situation, the driver was out of the car, seemed more than agitated and then returned to his car, would that change your reaction? Just curious, not trying to second guess, I just remember seeing a video of a Georgia trooper being gunned down by a driver that went back to his car...

Leave a comment:

• RabbitMPD
    replied
    You never know how your going to act in a situation like that until your in it. I'm sure the cop has watched the video and said to himself "Hmmm, I probably should have done this. I probably shouldn't have done that." but he did something HUGE! He stayed completely calm (at least appeared that way) under the pressure. He didn't have time to analyze and think about the situation. I say he deserves a medal.

Oh, and he did hit the 10-33 button. Although you can

Leave a comment:

• Bigg Dogg
    replied
    Originally posted by ctt
    I just saw this video and looked this thread up. If someone is out of their car like that before the officer, is it normal for the officer to not have his gun drawn?

No it is not normal to draw down on people that meet you outside of their car.Half of the stops I make,well maybe not half,but a good percentage will get out and come back to talk to me during my greeting.This officer was just unlucky enough to get a nut job on this stop and lucky to be alive.The officer did somethings wrong and soemthing right.One of the first things he did right was radio out on the stop.Most like the second officer that showed up heard him radio out on the stop and just started toward him to back him,like most good officers should do (hint towards younger and some older officers),sometimes it is to late to start heading to assist an offcier by the time they radio for help.The officer did good by keeping his hands up at all times.He was showing that he was giving in to tis bad guy on the side of the road so passing motorists would see and call for help.I think the officer might had been thinking about a quick draw,reason being he kept on asking bad guy if he wanted his gun.I would probally try that myself if in the same situation.If the guy tells me to take the gun out,I would try to slowly start taking the gun ont and hope his attention is diverted in some way for a few quick hip shots.The main thing the officer did was reamined very calm.At this time it is not a good time to try to be Billy Bad *** Cop.I think if he went for the gun and once he saw he was not going to get the gun,that would have been a good chance to pull his own weapon.The bad guy never did get the officers weapon until they were geting into the car.I would have never got into the car.What ever was going to happen to me would have happened on the side of the road right in front of my camera for a good prosecution.

Now I am just like everyone else that does not like to second guess the officer above.I am not for sure exactly what I would have done in that situation,hopefully I won't have to figure it out that way.

Leave a comment:

• McPhenius
    replied
    Pretty scary.

Leave a comment:

• ctt
    replied
    I just saw this video and looked this thread up. If someone is out of their car like that before the officer, is it normal for the officer to not have his gun drawn?

I remember my HS golf team were on our way to a match that we were late for and we were pulled over. As soon as we stopped the coach hopped out and ran back to the officer's car to talk to him, I guess... I'm not sure what was said, and we left almost as quickly as we had stopped, but I kept thinking "what the hell is he doing? he's going to get shot."

The officer didn't even seem to notice that he was coming back until he was at his car and seemed startled.

Leave a comment:

• sflcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan Switek
    In regards to surrendering your weapon or shooting it out, not all shootings are fatal. Surrender your weapon, the risk of being executed is high. Executions are 100% fatal.
    I couldn't agree more.

Leave a comment:

• Stan Switek
    replied
    In regards to surrendering your weapon or shooting it out, not all shootings are fatal. Surrender your weapon, the risk of being executed is high. Executions are 100% fatal.

Leave a comment:

• HCSO511
    replied
    i blame society for things like this. if the cop had drawn down on the guy when he tried to get back into the car or had drug him out of the car he wouldve been sued. i often wonder how many police law suits and accusations of excessive force wouldve ended differently if the officer hadnt done what he was sued or fired for. if some airport cop had grabbed a bunch of arab men in the airport there wouldnt have been 9-11. society wants total protection but no police. there wouldve been a big lawsuit and people in masses talking about the mean ol police just picking on the poor arab's. then once they got through costing some cop his job and money and blew up a building someone would want to know why they werent stopped.

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by Puget Sound
    That's the thing about the Monday Morning Quarterbacking...it's hard to say what one would do in that situation until you really are staring down the barrel of a gun. Do you reach for your weapon and risk him shooting you? Do you refuse to surrender your weapon and risk being shot? Do you refuse to get in the car? Or do you do whatever they tell you to do?
    You're absolutely right. We can't know what it's like until we've been there. Although I haven't been in that situation, I've been to the next-best place: I've trained for it.

But, since you asked... it looked like the perp had a revolver. At that range I would have grabbed the gun around the cylinder. If the cylinder can't turn, the gun won't fire- no matter how hard you squeeze the trigger. I've trained being taken 'by surprise' at gun point numerous times from almost all possible angles (which means if, God forbid it happens, it'll probably be from the one angle I didn't think of because that's my luck). From the front (like in the video) from the side, from the back. I trained over and over again until it was second nature. Meaning if it did happen to me, hopefully the perp will be diarmed (and if I'm lucky, hurting) before I even know what was going on.

I regret that I don't keep the same work schedule as any officers that like to train for this stuff as much as I do. I'd enjoy having a training partner again since my old one moved away.

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    How about the drunk on that same show who got out and drew his cell phone. That guy is lucky to be alive!!!

Leave a comment:

• SO19Trojan
    replied
    Just goes to show us all there is nothing truer than the saying "Two types of situation - High risk and unknown risk".

As to what we'd all do ........... well it's been said already by a few guys - not one of us know how we would react in that situation until we're in it !

Apart from this officers survival the other good thing to come out of this is that we can all watch it and learn from it.

Be careful out there folks.

Leave a comment:

• Puget Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by sflcop
    We saw this in the academy and debated over several things. The ticket book in the troppers hand, the turning off the radio w/o hitting the 10-24 button, the giving up his weapon, the getting in the car, etc... Not fair to Monday morning quarterback, but we have to learn from the mistakes of others. Glad he is alive and well.
    According to the show I watched he did push the emergency button. But it's just a TV show, so who knows--doesn't seem like they'd make it up or lie about it though. Shortly after he does it another officer shows up, so who knows if it was the button or a motorist calling it in.

After the perp took him hostage, apparently they drove away toward a roadblock that had been set up. I wonder if the cop had a baton or pepper spray. Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to whack him or spray him while he's driving, but it might be tempting. Forget training, whack him in the head.

That's the thing about the Monday Morning Quarterbacking...it's hard to say what one would do in that situation until you really are staring down the barrel of a gun. Do you reach for your weapon and risk him shooting you? Do you refuse to surrender your weapon and risk being shot? Do you refuse to get in the car? Or do you do whatever they tell you to do?

I'm curious to know what the LEOs on here would do.

Leave a comment:

• Da Po-po
    replied
    My understanding was that he did hit the emergency button on his radio instead of turning it off. As far as giving up my weapon, I really don't know what I would do, but I don't think I would have done that. It worked out on this one, but I think, more often than not, if one isn't afraid to take a cop hostage, they aren't afraid to kill you. This officer made some mistakes that led to the situation getting bad, like letting the driver get back into the car like he did, but we all make those same mistakes from time to time. We just try to learn from these things and thank God the officer wasn't hurt. Stay safe everyone!

Leave a comment:

• sflcop
    replied
    We saw this in the academy and debated over several things. The ticket book in the troppers hand, the turning off the radio w/o hitting the 10-24 button, the giving up his weapon, the getting in the car, etc... Not fair to Monday morning quarterback, but we have to learn from the mistakes of others. Glad he is alive and well.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5868 users online. 353 members and 5515 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X