300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of State Trooper Taken Hostage

I don't know how old this is but its still pretty scary.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/trooperhostage.html

Yeah, that is bone chilling. I just saw that on some show on TLC tonight. Talk about every cop's worst nightmare...hell, being held hostage at gun point I'd say would be a worst nightmare for just about anyone.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Wow. When he went for the guy's gun and kind of slip I was like...oh my God.

I can't believe that punk said "Freeze motherf*cker!" ...I mean...who says that? Too much tv...

Comment

Although I'm not going to slight the trooper for how he acted (because I will say up front I've never been in that situation, and I pray I never will be). But I will never offer up my gun. Kudo's to the trooper for having the thought to at least attempt to take away the perp's weapon initially.

This is wear training comes in. If you keep playing the "what if" game in your head then hopefully you'll never be caught off-guard like this.

I think the thing that surprises me the most was after the perp produced the weapon, one of the first things the officer did was put his ticket book in his gun hand.

It was smart however to hold his hands up like that. Telling the passing motorist "help". I wonder if any of them were smart enough to actually call it in.

Rag me all you want for "monday-morning quarterbacking" this guy- but if we don't observe his mistakes now, we may repeat them in the future.
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Well, I guess there are definitely things that officer could have done differently. What would you guys (I mean all the cops here) have done in that kind of situation?

Comment

We saw this in the academy and debated over several things. The ticket book in the troppers hand, the turning off the radio w/o hitting the 10-24 button, the giving up his weapon, the getting in the car, etc... Not fair to Monday morning quarterback, but we have to learn from the mistakes of others. Glad he is alive and well.
            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

My understanding was that he did hit the emergency button on his radio instead of turning it off. As far as giving up my weapon, I really don't know what I would do, but I don't think I would have done that. It worked out on this one, but I think, more often than not, if one isn't afraid to take a cop hostage, they aren't afraid to kill you. This officer made some mistakes that led to the situation getting bad, like letting the driver get back into the car like he did, but we all make those same mistakes from time to time. We just try to learn from these things and thank God the officer wasn't hurt. Stay safe everyone!
              God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                We saw this in the academy and debated over several things. The ticket book in the troppers hand, the turning off the radio w/o hitting the 10-24 button, the giving up his weapon, the getting in the car, etc... Not fair to Monday morning quarterback, but we have to learn from the mistakes of others. Glad he is alive and well.
                According to the show I watched he did push the emergency button. But it's just a TV show, so who knows--doesn't seem like they'd make it up or lie about it though. Shortly after he does it another officer shows up, so who knows if it was the button or a motorist calling it in.

After the perp took him hostage, apparently they drove away toward a roadblock that had been set up. I wonder if the cop had a baton or pepper spray. Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to whack him or spray him while he's driving, but it might be tempting. Forget training, whack him in the head.

That's the thing about the Monday Morning Quarterbacking...it's hard to say what one would do in that situation until you really are staring down the barrel of a gun. Do you reach for your weapon and risk him shooting you? Do you refuse to surrender your weapon and risk being shot? Do you refuse to get in the car? Or do you do whatever they tell you to do?

I'm curious to know what the LEOs on here would do.
                Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Just goes to show us all there is nothing truer than the saying "Two types of situation - High risk and unknown risk".

As to what we'd all do ........... well it's been said already by a few guys - not one of us know how we would react in that situation until we're in it !

Apart from this officers survival the other good thing to come out of this is that we can all watch it and learn from it.

Be careful out there folks.

Comment

How about the drunk on that same show who got out and drew his cell phone. That guy is lucky to be alive!!!
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
                      That's the thing about the Monday Morning Quarterbacking...it's hard to say what one would do in that situation until you really are staring down the barrel of a gun. Do you reach for your weapon and risk him shooting you? Do you refuse to surrender your weapon and risk being shot? Do you refuse to get in the car? Or do you do whatever they tell you to do?
                      You're absolutely right. We can't know what it's like until we've been there. Although I haven't been in that situation, I've been to the next-best place: I've trained for it.

But, since you asked... it looked like the perp had a revolver. At that range I would have grabbed the gun around the cylinder. If the cylinder can't turn, the gun won't fire- no matter how hard you squeeze the trigger. I've trained being taken 'by surprise' at gun point numerous times from almost all possible angles (which means if, God forbid it happens, it'll probably be from the one angle I didn't think of because that's my luck). From the front (like in the video) from the side, from the back. I trained over and over again until it was second nature. Meaning if it did happen to me, hopefully the perp will be diarmed (and if I'm lucky, hurting) before I even know what was going on.

I regret that I don't keep the same work schedule as any officers that like to train for this stuff as much as I do. I'd enjoy having a training partner again since my old one moved away.
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

i blame society for things like this. if the cop had drawn down on the guy when he tried to get back into the car or had drug him out of the car he wouldve been sued. i often wonder how many police law suits and accusations of excessive force wouldve ended differently if the officer hadnt done what he was sued or fired for. if some airport cop had grabbed a bunch of arab men in the airport there wouldnt have been 9-11. society wants total protection but no police. there wouldve been a big lawsuit and people in masses talking about the mean ol police just picking on the poor arab's. then once they got through costing some cop his job and money and blew up a building someone would want to know why they werent stopped.

Comment

In regards to surrendering your weapon or shooting it out, not all shootings are fatal. Surrender your weapon, the risk of being executed is high. Executions are 100% fatal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                            In regards to surrendering your weapon or shooting it out, not all shootings are fatal. Surrender your weapon, the risk of being executed is high. Executions are 100% fatal.
                            I couldn't agree more.
                            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I just saw this video and looked this thread up. If someone is out of their car like that before the officer, is it normal for the officer to not have his gun drawn?

I remember my HS golf team were on our way to a match that we were late for and we were pulled over. As soon as we stopped the coach hopped out and ran back to the officer's car to talk to him, I guess... I'm not sure what was said, and we left almost as quickly as we had stopped, but I kept thinking "what the hell is he doing? he's going to get shot."

The officer didn't even seem to notice that he was coming back until he was at his car and seemed startled.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3023 users online. 133 members and 2890 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X