Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Dakota

Hey guys n gals,

Im toying with the idea of trading my TransAm for a Dodge Dakota R/T.

Does anyone know anything about the R/T?

I've only had my TA 4 months, but with me starting at the Academy soon, i'll be having to make weekly trips from Sanford to Miami and back again (300ish miles each way) and after a few months of doing that the value is gonna drop -alot-.

Any opinions?

i put more than 1200 miles a month on my car. you can easily squeeze out 400 miles from one tank in that car. is it an M6 or A4?

[ 06-13-2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: p01ic3m4n ]

Comment

M6.. Im not so much worried about gas costs, more about resale value, cause I change cars more often then I change underwear

Plus im gonna have to move stuff from this apartment to my new one, and last time I moved my TV in the TA, I almost bent the parking brake

Comment

Gotta say, I own an '01 Dakota 4x4 SLT with the 4.7 and I love this truck, however, you should be aware that the R/T (which has the 5.9L) and the 4.7L SLT get notoriously BAD gas mileage. I've been driving mine 134 miles (round trip) a day to/from work for a year. I get 14-15 Mpg on the interstate. Fun truck to drive, but I wouldn't suggest it for the commute. I got mine before I started doing the commute. Oh yeah, and be aware that Dakotas with V-8s are know to Daimler-Chrysler to warp brake rotors in some cases approx. every 13,000 miles- be prepared.

Comment

Rather than sell your beloved sports car, why not keep it and buy a "beater" car for commuting? Something like a mid 90's Honda or Toyota?

A lot of officers at my agency, who live 30 or more miles away, will do this and keep the mileage down on their "nice" cars.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by [email protected]:
            Gotta say, I own an '01 Dakota 4x4 SLT with the 4.7 and I love this truck, however, you should be aware that the R/T (which has the 5.9L) and the 4.7L SLT get notoriously BAD gas mileage. I've been driving mine 134 miles (round trip) a day to/from work for a year. I get 14-15 Mpg on the interstate. Fun truck to drive, but I wouldn't suggest it for the commute. I got mine before I started doing the commute. Oh yeah, and be aware that Dakotas with V-8s are know to Daimler-Chrysler to warp brake rotors in some cases approx. every 13,000 miles- be prepared.

Bake,

Like you I own a 2001 SLT with the 4.7. However, even though I have the towing package that included the 3.93 gear set instead of the standard 3.55 I still can get 19-21 on the interstate. With mixed usage I average around 16 or so.

Regarding your contention that Dakotas are notorious for rotor warpage it is important to note that this is primarily caused by the owner and if the vehicle is properly maintained it does not represent a significant problem. The lug nuts MUST be torqued with a torque wrench to 100flbs after the wheels have been removed - no exceptions. Even trucks that are experiencing what feels like rotor warpage can be "fixed" by retorqueing the lugs - after about 5K miles the feeling in the steering wheel will go away.

Additionally, Dakotas like all trucks (and cars) rely upon self-adjusters in the rear drums. Unfortunately these adjusters only work when the vehicle is driven in reverse at speed and the brakes are applied. Most common driving styles do not result in properly adjusted rear brakes causing the front pads to bear the additional stopping load. I recommend that you simply adjust them with a brake spoon every 20K miles and the issues go away.

I suppose you can tell that I like my Dakota. I traded a full sized Chevrolet for it because it not only has a higher towing capacity (7,500 lbs) but drives like a car (4WD but utilizing rack and pinion and softer torsion bars).

But back to the original question posed by Jws - do you feel the need to own a truck?? They have specific purposes but arnt really designed to carry passengers like a traditional car.

Well, thats my .02 worth

regards,
            dt-
            "There is true glory and true honor, the glory of duty done and the honor of integrity and principles." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

I would compromise and do what everybody here is saying. I would buy an older Dakota 87-96 and use it as a commuter/hauler and keep the TA. I have an 88 LE and a 93 lifted and dented and they are both excellent trucks and very easy to maintain and work on. But, as has been said, 16-18 is the best mileage I ever get. I use them as my commuters now and the wife keeps the good car. The boys drive which ever one I'm not. Unfortunately, the Z finally blew the head. It will be down until fall probably.

Comment

Well, in the end I picked up a '96 Explorer V8 with 150,000 miles for $5000. Its in great condition and is LOADED !

Now I can give my Trans Am the care and rest it deserves :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6788 users online. 345 members and 6443 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X