Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega4
    replied
    It's totally the situation. We had an off duty officer here that was at a school shooting. Before that shooting, he swore up and down that he would never ever engage a suspect while his family was with him. He did that day. He scooted his kid out side and then reentered the school looking for the shooter. He learned that it is all totally dependent on the situation. He still claims his forst course of action is to ensure the safety of his family then deal the rest later.

I know back in the day as a patrolman, when something happened when I was off duty, by training, there was a compulsion to do something and I don't mean rush in and save the day. More like, find cover or concealment, observe and report, provide information to responding officers and stay alive. Off duty it takes a little more thought and a lot more control. Some of the agencies here even have annual training concerning off-duty incidents. It isn't some video tape either, the range instructors actually have them show up at the range with their off duty rigs and they work with them. The emphasis? Get out, be a good witness, defend yourself and your family. Engage suspects only as a last resport.

Leave a comment:

• Code3kd
    replied
    Originally Postaed by Centurion 44
    For Christ's sake, people. Go home.

Limited ammo, no vest, no radio, no back up, unk if there are other susps laying low...Hmm

Call me crazy but I'm gonna stay out of that situation even if I'm alone.

Stuff like this happens dozens and dozens of times a day out here, why would I want to put myself in such risk for this one.

I will only act if the guy is an active shooter and as I mentioned before, if I'm not with my family.

Leave a comment:

• Radio
    replied
    With my child there i wouldent do anything to provoke the guy. You make any action your risking your life and your kids life. If you get blown away infront of your kid can you imagine how tramatiseing that would be for that child?

Better to just be a good witness in this situation.

Now if the Fool came over to threaten me or my child that would be another story. Then its protection mode.

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by VargaM
    But my opinion is that just like a couple of you said the money can be replaced and innocent life can't, but if I were in this situation I would have my priorities staright as most of you have said get my family safe then do whatever you want to the stupid criminal, most places have a back door as an emergency exit, send your family in that direction.
    If you want to be a cop, let me tell you something. Okay, let's say you send your kids "towards" the back door. We'll operate under the assumption there's not a sexual predator in the store and would see that as a ripe oprotunity to help himself. We'll even say they make it out the back door into a dark lot or alley. We'll even assume that there's not a van there waiting for them (or the bad guys). We'll also asume that there's no danger of them getting run over or otherwise hurt because they were left to their own devices in the back of a store. We'll even assume they make it home okay that night.

What happens when mommy or daddy, because they wanted to play hero (because they were off duty and didn't have on a vest of clear identifiers that they were police, not to mention being outgunned and outmanned) doesn't come home that night?

When we're out there risking ourlives, it's not just our lives we risk. When an officer dies, it's not just an officer. It's a parent. It's a spouse. It's someone's child. Someone's sibling. Before you decide you want to play hero, you gotta ask yourself "What if I don't live?" You do that while your children are in a dark alley behind the store waiting on a parent that may never come back and tell me you'd do the same thing.

For Christ's sake, people. Go home.

Leave a comment:

• VargaM
    replied
    NOT A LEO
    (want to become one)

I read these posts and remember this quote or saying,

"I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6."

But my opinion is that just like a couple of you said the money can be replaced and innocent life can't, but if I were in this situation I would have my priorities staright as most of you have said get my family safe then do whatever you want to the stupid criminal, most places have a back door as an emergency exit, send your family in that direction.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was in a similar situations which im sure you all know about... I was in Kingston NY with my parents in the Best Buy when a man started firing shots. The best thing I could think to do was to get both of my parents.. who are in their 70's on the floor and we low crawled to the rear of the store. I wasn't going to actively engage him because A- im positive he had more fire power than me and B- if he did away with me, what was he going to do with everyone else in his fit of rage which i'm sure would have went up after being engaged by a cop. Needless to say we got out of there safe thank the good lord.

Leave a comment:

• hapc
    replied
    Plain and simple, My kids and family will always come first.

I'll be a good witness.

Leave a comment:

• Code3kd
    replied
    Yeah I saw that one in the academy. It really sends the message home.

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by gotthblues
    what would you do if you and your child (3 to 7 yrs old) where in the back of a gas station and someone walked in with a firearm and robbed the clerk, and while he is getting the money, he sees you.

We saw a video- one of those Calibre Press videos in the academy. It had an officer telling how that almost exact thing happened. He had his little girl with him (off duty) while going into a grocery store. He "hid" his little girl behind one of the parked cars and attempted to apprehend the suspects. The result? HIs daughter was killed by a stray bullet.

If I had my child with me- they are all the matters. Money can be replaced. If I have my family, job be damned, I'm going to do whatever I have to do in order to make sure that me and my children live to fight another day.

Leave a comment:

• ecpd170
    replied
    My kid comes first but if i thought for one sec that he was going to do something to us then i would let the rounds rip and deal with the bullsh*t later

Leave a comment:

• Code3kd
    replied
    Quote:
    by the way they act during the robbery, to me it would seem like you could tell someone who is a hardened robber(likely to run and or fight) and someone who hit upon a rough time in life and thought that robbing a store would be the best way
    DUDE!!!
    You have got to be kidding me!
    You can pick people out like that?

If you have such supernatural powers come on down to my dept we'll drive around together and you can point out all the guys who are about to commit a 211. Maybe we can get the city council to give us $50 a pop.

Malibu beach house here I come.

Any person who willingly sticks gun in someone's face and robs them can easily turn the gun on you and cap one in your ***.

I hope once you're on the streets a dose of reality will change your attitude, if not...I don't even want to say it.

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    [QUOTE=SDSJap]by the way they act during the robbery, to me it would seem like you could tell someone who is a hardened robber(likely to run and or fight) and someone who hit upon a rough time in life and thought that robbing a store would be the best way

that really works,,you can tell the difference,,,wow.

Leave a comment:

• SDSJap
    replied
    by the way they act during the robbery, to me it would seem like you could tell someone who is a hardened robber(likely to run and or fight) and someone who hit upon a rough time in life and thought that robbing a store would be the best way

though after reading the original question again, a gas station isnt likely to have a whole hell of a lot of cash and not worth starting a gun fight over and would likely have a camera/siletn alarm

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    Originally posted by SDSJap
    yes, but what i meant by that is trying to chase him down or forcibly take him down in an area where dozens of innocents might be hurt, thats why i said only if he seemed like this was his first robbery or in other words like someone who would give up if confronted. though 99% of the time i doubt this would be the case and like most here, hide my kid and be the best witness i could be
    okayyyyyyyyy,,,hooowww do you tell if someone is not a good robber???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

Leave a comment:

• SDSJap
    replied
    yes, but what i meant by that is trying to chase him down or forcibly take him down in an area where dozens of innocents might be hurt, thats why i said only if he seemed like this was his first robbery or in other words like someone who would give up if confronted. though 99% of the time i doubt this would be the case and like most here, hide my kid and be the best witness i could be

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6341 users online. 348 members and 5993 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X