300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do if.......

what would you do if you and your child (3 to 7 yrs old) where in the back of a gas station and someone walked in with a firearm and robbed the clerk, and while he is getting the money, he sees you. Keep in mind that you would probably have your weapon concealed. What would you do from the very beginning?
    I ask this because i remember that when i went through the academy, an instructor said that he and his family (wife and child) had a "code word" and that if they heard it they knew to take cover and get the hell away from him. I have mixed feelings about acting or not acting. I know that there could be several different variations to this, but what if?????

If I have the option to let him leave with the money, that's what I'd do. I'm not going to engage him if my child is standing there. I'll be a good witness and give the cops a good description of him and his car, but with my child there I will avoid a confrontation if possible.

If in my opinion he poses an imminent threat to myself, my child, or any other innocent in the store, I would have to act.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

thats kind of what i was thinking,,,would you go ahead and pull your weapon just so it would already be in your hand,,,but then again, if he sees you crouched down with a weapon,,he might be provoked.

Comment

If he is just going to hit the joint and run he can have the money, I'll be the best witness the cops could want. But if he is going to become a threat to my family I'll blast his ***...forget IDing myself or giving commands. The only rounds I want flying are the ones going away from me and my family.

Comment

Unless the guy starts shooting people, entirely of his own volition, your best bet is to be the best witness you can be. This is the best policy regardless if your family is there or not. If he kills someone, due to your initiation, may god help you. Get your attorney on the line and get ready for the ride of your life.
          Just when I thought you couldn't get much dumber, you keep talking.

Comment

You're on the job, your child is not. Your first responsibility is to protect him. Forget taking any type of action unless there is absolutely no other way to protect your child. Be a good witness.

Comment

thanks to all that responded,,,,they just got through solving numerous gas station robberies that covered about 6 counties along i35, and i remembered that instructor saying that,,,refer to previous post,,,,, i was thinking get my kid to cover, draw weapon just in case i needed it to protect my child, (i wondered if anyone else thought that drawing your weapon while behind cover might provoke the terd). ,rather than fumble with my shirt trying to unholster,,,,i was just curious if anyone would take the stance that you took an oath, and swore to act,,,and so on...i was just thinking out loud,,,thanks all,,,

Comment

In my eyes, protecting your child overrules just about every oath.

Comment

I am with you on that one Orange.

Look if you can get to your gun while the guy is busy with the clerk and can't see you as you move your kids behind cover sure. But taking a stance forget it I want him to be thinking that I'm John Q. Citizen until my first round goes right through his head. As far as my oath is concerned, my child is the citizen I chose to protect and I'm acting by my observations.

This may bring it home for you...quite a few years back a school police officer in my city was doing some Christmas shopping at Payless Shoe store. A 211 went down and he tried to stop the guy. he ran after the suspect who turned around and opened up on him. He didn't have time to even get a shot off. He died in the parking lot with his young son watching.

Comment

ouch...

Though I do like the idea of the "code word" from the OP.

Comment

*Not a LEO*

But I can tell you this, if the suspect didn't show serious threat, I would just make the best witness. That being said, if he started shooting then he is going to have a 40 cal. in his head. But of course I would make sure my family is protected.

I don't think you are saying that i have a bullet proof vest, so why the hell would I chase after him.

Comment

I would protect my child...If he started shooting I would protect my child ,I would be a decoy so my kid could run.I would be a good witness also if I am not shot to die.If I was under atack and had a gun...I would shoot to kill or at least disable the attacker, shoot his knees off his legs or shoulders so he can't move or run.I am not a cop,But had some informational class information and know how to use a gun/rifle.Ps.s. I do not like guns just sitting around and loaded just for veiwing....Bad idea.
                        Ok! I have a good one for you..Whats the possibilitie of finding a person who almost took you out [life wise] in the 70's that you believe may have killed someone later say in the late 80's?because of being an open forum this is all I will add to this line.

Comment

Not Leo

Depends on where exactly i was in the store, if i was near a bathroom or a storage closet, id try to quietly sneak my child into there(tell him to hide behind the toliet if its a bathroom)

from there it depends on the criminals behavior if he seems like two bit crook and this is his first stick up id probably draw my gun and yell that im the police(since id probably be a cop by now) and to put his gun down and get on his stomach. if he runs or shoots back just let him go and call the police. no sense in trying to take someone like that down by yourself

Comment

Originally posted by SDSJap
                            from there it depends on the criminals behavior if he seems like two bit crook and this is his first stick up id probably draw my gun and yell that im the police(since id probably be a cop by now) and to put his gun down and get on his stomach. if he runs or shoots back just let him go and call the police. no sense in trying to take someone like that down by yourself
                            You would draw your gun and verbally challenge him, but if he shoots then you would "let him go" because there's "no sense trying to take someone like that down by yourself"?

Doesn't drawing your gun and yelling at him count as "trying to take him down"?
                            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

yes, but what i meant by that is trying to chase him down or forcibly take him down in an area where dozens of innocents might be hurt, thats why i said only if he seemed like this was his first robbery or in other words like someone who would give up if confronted. though 99% of the time i doubt this would be the case and like most here, hide my kid and be the best witness i could be

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6253 users online. 364 members and 5889 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X