300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today On The highway

On the way home I was behind a big semi that was swerving from one lane to the other. A car coming from the opposite direction was forced off the road and proceeded to drive on the grass beside the truck. When he tried to come back onto the highway the truck clipped him, turning the car directly in front of another truck. After the accident I got out of the car to see if I could help but there wasn't anything I could do. The driver was gone and the boy behind him wasn't moving, the two surviving passengers were screaming. The door on the passenger side was jammed shut. It was a nightmare! They were all about 16 years old.

I don't know why I'm posting this here, possibly because all of you have seen this scene so many times in your profession. I don't think I will ever be the same again. How do you cope? You never know when you get up in the morning what will happen during the day that will change you forever.

Nell

[This message has been edited by Neltja (edited 05-07-2001).]
    When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine yourself....

Nell,

If you need to talk, drop me an email.
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

Nell, your witnessing this accident was very unfortunate. Sounds like a sleepy or DUI driver. It is rough, especially when you see it happen.

You have lots of shoulders to lean on here, feel free to email me, also.

We are here for each other.

------------------
      Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]
      Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Don and Jack,

Thank you for the offer but I'll be ok. Promise!

Nell

[This message has been edited by Neltja (edited 05-06-2001).]
        When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine yourself....

Comment

Neltja,
          You may well be in shock right now if I read your post right that this happened this evening. Part of the training that I go through as part of the volunteer crisis response team I am part of is debriefing. When/if the occurrence hits you, it might be a good idea to take Don and Jack up on their offer. Even if you think you are OK, once you begin talking about it you may find that it affected you more than what you thought. Take the guys up on their offer please.

I know the effects traumatic events can play all too well.

[This message has been edited by Copper2be (edited 05-06-2001).]
          Copper2be

Comment

That's fine Nell, just so you know we are here if you need us.

------------------
            **Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.**
            6P1 (retired)
            6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don,

Thank you! I'm going to spend some time with my father so I won't be posting again for awhile.

Take care,
              Nell

Comment

Neltja,
                God bless. We'll miss you. Hurry back.
                Copper2be

Comment

Neltja, Sorry, I missed this one. I hope you are okay and as you know we are here for you. Things like this remind us how very precious every day is and that we shouldn't waste them. Take care and i am glad you were not physically hurt.

Comment

quote:
                    Copper2be,

You were right!
                    It was a horrendous experience, one I hope will never be repeated.

wonderwoman:

Thank you for your thoughts. Only through the grace of God and good brakes did I avoid becoming part of this tragedy.

------------------
                    Nell

"People are like stained-glass windows, they sparkle and shine when the sun is out but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if their light is from within."
                    - Elizabeth Kubler Ross

[This message has been edited by Neltja (edited 05-09-2001).]

Comment

Believe me, Nell, you will eventually need to talk to someone. I witnessed a horrible accident 10 years ago. An elderly woman in front of me pulled out in front of another car. The car hit them and she and her elderly husband were thrown fom the car. Both were killed instantly and I was literally frozen behind the wheel of my car. My husband was behind me in his car and jumped out to help. I simply couldn't move, I was so horrified. I eventually went to a therapist when I wasn't coping with it too well. I'm not saying you need to go to a therapist. But, I'm sure many people here can give you words of wisdom if you do feel the need to talk. Unfortuantely, many here see so much more then we ever will. I admire them for being able to deal with it. This accident still comes to mind at times for me.

Comment

Mitzy,

Thank you for the advice, I may have to follow it.

The families want to set up a meeting with me in the next week or so. As difficult as that may be I believe it will be beneficial for all of us.

------------------
                        Nell

"People are like stained-glass windows, they sparkle and shine when the sun is out but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if their light is from within."
                        - Elizabeth Kubler Ross

[This message has been edited by Neltja (edited 05-09-2001).]

Comment

Good for you Neltja. I pray that God will give you strength.
                          Brad
                          Copper2be

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3859 users online. 277 members and 3582 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X