300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Mechanics

Ok...well the other day I thought I was going in to get the tires on my car rotated but the guy came out and told me that the front struts were leaking on my car.

He gave me a quote of $320, but what I want to know is if this is a big deal and if I need to get it fixed right now or can I wait a little bit? I'm a starving college student/single mom I don't have time for my car to cause problems.
    Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

Take it to someplace like MIDAS, etc....that SPECIALIZES in shocks/struts for an analysis and estimate. I put new struts on a Mustang 2 years ago. Cost was around $300. Struts SHOULD 'last' around $75K miles.YMMV depending on driving/road conditions.

Struts not only have an impact(pun intended [Wink] ) on ride COMFORT, but also affect handling, tire wear and braking.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Everybody has a friend that's a shade tree mechanic. If you have a friend that is even remotely mechanically inclinded, you can do them yourself for less than $100. You can probably do all four for about $100 depending on what kind of car you have. Auto Zone or similar will loan you the spring compressor when you buy the struts from them. Shell out the extra $25 for the Hanyes manual for your vehicle and it will walk you right through it. Most big libraries have a full set of Haynes or Chilton's manuals for just about every vehicle. Shocks are a no brainer.Struts are tougher but can be done yourself too with a little pre-education and patience.

Not replacing them will effect your ride comfort and tire wear. They also say it effects your braking and steering etc., but unless your racing or drive such that you are always putting yourself in high speed panic stop situations these things will not be a daily concern to the average driver.

[ 06-14-2003, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: DesertRat ]

Comment

Thank you Desert Rat! I will have to find someone to do this for me -- I don't think I could do this myself, everything looks foreign to me under the hood. Autozone is a great place! They are one of the only stores around here that will check your starter, alternator and battery for free. They are great guys!
        Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

Comment

It's almost impossible to change a strut "at home" unless the person doing it has the large spring vise to compress the spring, and remove the strut. I know of one death in which the spring was not compressed properly, and flew, knocking the guy in the head.

A second opinion is good, just goto a good shop, tell the guy/gal that your struts are leaking, and you want an estimate. All that's really needed is a quick look at the strut, and to see how much dampening (up and down motion when someone forces the front of the car up/down) is being lost.

I'd avoid the big chains like Midas, etc...

--dan

Comment

Mike TX is a mechanic....teeheeeheeeee.... he'll tell ya where to go... errrr... no pun intended....
            Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by InSane1:
              Mike TX is a mechanic....teeheeeheeeee.... he'll tell ya where to go... errrr... no pun intended....

That's what I thought too, I'm surprised he hasn't showered me with his words of wisdom.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3385 users online. 172 members and 3213 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X