Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to school to become a cop any tips

I
    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

You must first determine if you are otherwise qualified.
    Are you in excellant health & in good physical condition?
    Do you have a juvenile record ?
    Do you have a driving record ?
    Any mental health issues ?
    On medication ?
    Drug Use ?.
    Alcohol use ? (abuse)

Study anything as a major except CJ. That way if you don't make the "cut" you have a career to fall back on. Just because you go to college & study CJ is no guarantee a police agency will hire you.

It is a big risk to study CJ and risk it all if you are not otherwise qualified.

Comment

I would reccomend you take any course of study except criminal justice. You can take that of course but heres why I would not-

Many depts are looking for a broader base of education and

on the slim chance you begin working as a cop and decide its not what you wanted if you limit yourself to a criminal justice education you are going to be way behind if you want to pursue something else.

Taking criminal justice in college gives you no advantage to being hired and for some depts they may even give you a disadvantage if all you have is a criminal justice degree.

Comment

Im also going to school the 17th of this month is when i start, im really excited

Comment

Get us to running
          John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
            fly below the radar.
            If only I would have known I'd want to become a police officer BEFORE I got all those tickets... Mind you, it was all my policial encounters that made me want to become one. It's all so interesting and structured, yet at any moment complete chaos can occur.

It is my understanding that Sociology is a good major if you want to get into LE because if you don't get into LE, you can still be a social worker.

What I'm doing is taking a 4 year BA in Sociology, but my specific program is Indigenous People and Justice Programs and my minor is Native Studies. That way if I don't get into the RCMP I can fall back on becoming a social worker, and more specifically one whose educated in Aboriginal social issues, something that is apparently seriously lacking in Saskatchewan, specifically the justice system. However, Saskatchewan can't really afford to hire anymore social workers so I'll have to move to Alberta to get a job. (What a shock. Another Saskatchewanian having to move to Alberta to get a job.)

I can tell you that Police Sciences is pretty much a joke if you want to become a real police officer unless you have some sort of other automatic in (ie: visable minority). I was told that it's mainly for people who want to become Special Constables.

Comment

??? LE and other subjects

What do you think other then LE would be a good choice, I still want to do somthing in the LE field
              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

I would agree with everyone-I would stay away from a CJ degree unless you're going to go all the way and get your masters in it. Otherwise a BA/CJ does nothing for you. I've got a BA in Business Mgmt/Marketing and it's neither helped nor hurt me. Although it looks good on an application if you have a 4yr degree but does not guarantee you a job. Also, you can't apply for any federal LE job without a 4yr degree.
                The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5
                  What do you think other then LE would be a good choice, I still want to do somthing in the LE field
                  My dad told me to be a dispatcher or a Highway Transportation Traffic Officer. (Not to be confused with Highway Patrol.) Basically you weigh semis, inspect vehicles, enforce the odd speed limit, and have the odd DUI roadblock and spend the first hour of your shift sitting in Tim Hortons drinking your coffee and eating your muffin. You're a special constable so you don't get a gun.

Comment

[QUOTE=eman2k5]I
                    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Puget presents a good point, it doesn't really matter that you major in. They just want to see if you can commit yourself to a four year (or two year in some cases) plan, thats all. A good point is presented by the other posters though, majoring in CJ is risky because there are so many factors that could make you regret that major, i.e.: you find out you don't like the job, you don't get hored anywhere right after graduation, or (heaven forbid) you get injured and are unable to continue a LE carrer. Just some things to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by dnaboy2021
                        Puget presents a good point, it doesn't really matter that you major in. They just want to see if you can commit yourself to a four year (or two year in some cases) plan, thats all. A good point is presented by the other posters though, majoring in CJ is risky because there are so many factors that could make you regret that major, i.e.: you find out you don't like the job, you don't get hored anywhere right after graduation, or (heaven forbid) you get injured and are unable to continue a LE carrer. Just some things to consider.
                        Also true...

I'd definitely start out with CJ if that is what appeals right now. Take one or two CJ courses your first semester (or quarter, whatever it is). If you don't like it, do something else. You can always just chalk them up as electives.

If you don't like CJ, but still want to be a police officer, you can really major in anything else as well. Business, English, Spanish (!!!!!!), Theatre, Exercise Science, whatever...
                        Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                        Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

If cj is the only way to get through college I suppose its ok.I do know depts in NY that look at cj only candidates less -you would think they would not hold that against a candidate but if they are thinking of 2 candidates and 1 has a cj degree and the other has a degree in say accounting or Information tech or Business They will take the non cj candidate first.

One of my good friends is a background Investagator and he tells me the same thing- the cj only candidates can and do get hired but all things being equal if 2 candidates are about equal and one is a cj grad and the other is not, they are giving the handshake and welcome to the dept speech to the non cj major.

The other big downside to studying cj only as has already been mentioned here is that not everyone who thinks they want a career in law enforcement once they actually do the job stay.
                          one of my roomates in college insisted he wanted to be a police officer got Hired By the Rochester NY dept was on the Job for a year and decided this is not want I really want to do.Now he is in PA attending a doctor of Optometry program there. SO I quess what I am trying to say is you never know which direction life is going to take you at times.Having a broader base of knowledge then just cj will serve you well.

Comment

What is criminal justice anyways? Is it the same as police sciences?

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
                              What is criminal justice anyways? Is it the same as police sciences?
                              HAHAHAHA!!!!
                              The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                              Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5888 users online. 322 members and 5566 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X