Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legality of Jamming Speed Detection Stuff

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legality of Jamming Speed Detection Stuff

    Many of the jammer sites claim that because the FCC regulates radio transmitting things, they have the authority to ban/regulate transmitters such as radar jammers. However, because the FDA regulates lasers, a laser (Lidar) jammer is legal.

    So what is the law man's take on this.

    BTW, I feel compelled to share this with you: My user name is not a drug reference. It is about aspiration and fuel delivery.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Blown&Injected
    Many of the jammer sites claim that because the FCC regulates radio transmitting things, they have the authority to ban/regulate transmitters such as radar jammers. However, because the FDA regulates lasers, a laser (Lidar) jammer is legal.

    Oh, look, another thread. Boy I have started missing these speed detection jamming threads. What's it been? A whole week?

    Second first, same as the first: use them all you want, if the officer operating them knows what he's doing, it doesn't make a difference.

    And if you can jam the laser beam that's about the width of your headlight being pointed anywhere on your car, then you deserve to get out of a ticket.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

    Comment


    • #3
      Did a search of titles for jammer/s and found nothing???

      But from your reply, it sounds like those threads are not dealing with same issue. I am asking about the legality and the FDA vs FCC comments that are made by the laser jammer people.

      BTW, it seems like jamming lidar is extremely easy and effective

      Comment


      • #4
        If you're the US Military, yes. If you think you're going to cause an officer's equipment to malfunction with a 4 inch box on your dash costing a couple hundred bucks, no.
        Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
        --------------------
        This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SuperSix5
          If you're the US Military, yes. If you think you're going to cause an officer's equipment to malfunction with a 4 inch box on your dash costing a couple hundred bucks, no.
          I agree.

          Though I've heard that if you make a sailor hat out of aluminum foil and wear it when you speed it reflects the laser and the cops can't get you. Why don't you try that? Used coffee grounds piled on your dashboard are also known to filter out stray laser beams. Might as well give that a shot, too.

          Of course (and this seems almost too silly to even mention) you could try to drive somewhere near the speed limit.
          Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

          Comment


          • #6
            [QUOTE=Blown&Injected]Many of the jammer sites claim that because the FCC regulates radio transmitting things, they have the authority to ban/regulate transmitters such as radar jammers. However, because the FDA regulates lasers, a laser (Lidar) jammer is legal.

            So what is the law man's take on this.

            Here where I work using any jammer is obstructing a peace officer in the execution of his duties and is a criminal code charge. Charges have been laid and convictions registered.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mobrien316
              I agree.

              Though I've heard that if you make a sailor hat out of aluminum foil and wear it when you speed it reflects the laser and the cops can't get you. Why don't you try that? Used coffee grounds piled on your dashboard are also known to filter out stray laser beams. Might as well give that a shot, too.

              Of course (and this seems almost too silly to even mention) you could try to drive somewhere near the speed limit.
              kind of like putting a penny in your mouth if your drunk,,the officer cant smell the odor

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mobrien316
                I agree.

                Of course (and this seems almost too silly to even mention) you could try to drive somewhere near the speed limit.
                Yeah, I think that's the most effective and more challenging method of avoiding a speeding ticket. I've switched to that method. For once I can anger the other drivers by driving legally.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is it too silly to ask somebody to actually read the question and COMPREHEND the intent of the OP?

                  Originally posted by Dudley DoRight
                  Here where I work using any jammer is obstructing a peace officer in the execution of his duties and is a criminal code charge. Charges have been laid and convictions registered.
                  Thank You.

                  That is what I was thinking too. Not to mention that the logic used by the laser jammer people is perfectly flawed!!! Just because the FCC does not regulate something does not mean it is not a crime to use the item. Think about the guy that pointed a laser at the airplane. I can hear him now as he gets dragged off: But it's not regulated by the FCC I tells ya!

                  It is not important if does/does not, really work (excepting some possible defense if it really does nothing - but see below). I have always thought that any interference with duty of any law enforcement is illegal and if we were to apply a zero tolerance here, even the non functional Rocky Mountain radar jammers could be considered an intent or maybe a conspiracy to commit a crime. Am I off-base here?

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Blown&Injected
                    Is it too silly to ask somebody to actually read the question and COMPREHEND the intent of the OP?



                    Thank You.

                    That is what I was thinking too. Not to mention that the logic used by the laser jammer people is perfectly flawed!!! Just because the FCC does not regulate something does not mean it is not a crime to use the item. Think about the guy that pointed a laser at the airplane. I can hear him now as he gets dragged off: But it's not regulated by the FCC I tells ya!

                    It is not important if does/does not, really work (excepting some possible defense if it really does nothing - but see below). I have always thought that any interference with duty of any law enforcement is illegal and if we were to apply a zero tolerance here, even the non functional Rocky Mountain radar jammers could be considered an intent or maybe a conspiracy to commit a crime. Am I off-base here?

                    Thanks
                    Does that mean I can't stand at the top of a hill with a big sign that reads "RADAR AHEAD?"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't believe so Spee-Dee. Still able to fully carry out the duty unless your sign is blocking the path. It is not uncommon in my area for some departments to publish in the news paper the specific areas and days that they will be shooting radar.

                      The Jammer prevents or interferes directly with detection. Telling somebody to comply or they will get a ticket because there is radar ahead should not be an issue! This should not be viewed as an adversarial relationship. Anything that gets more people, more often, to comply with the law should be a good thing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Have fun wearing all the metal you want. I'll just pick you up even faster Also we usually get you with lidar even before you see us.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Blown&Injected
                          It is not uncommon in my area for some departments to publish in the news paper the specific areas and days that they will be shooting radar.
                          Why would they publish where they are going to be (then actually be there). Just for the pure amusment of holding up todays paper when they pull someone over?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by medic_9
                            Why would they publish where they are going to be (then actually be there). Just for the pure amusment of holding up todays paper when they pull someone over?
                            happens all the time here, they still bust the snot out 'em...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              One of the poster mentioned - if the officer knows what they are doing - you don't have much of a chance.

                              When we are operating speed detection equipment, one of the requirements is that we obtain a "visual estimation" of the vehicle speed. What that means is that I already know (within a few miles per hour) how fast the car is going.

                              Part of our training (in Florida) is the documentation of estimation of the speed of 50 vehicles in a row, all within 2 miles per hour. Our visual estimation can stand as evidence in court of a violation.

                              Besides there are other ways to catch a speeder - try to jam my speedometer or VASCAR.

                              Some of my favorite RADAR places are on various speedtrap websites, I still catch people in them - week after week - often the same person. I got one guy 3 times in 4 days.

                              Jamming RADAR with a transmitter is an FCC violation and could result in arrest. The Laser deflectors and jammers have not had much effect on the performance of my duties.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5791 users online. 330 members and 5461 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X