Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Greatest" 100 songs of the last 25 years......

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    Originally posted by wonderwoman:
    I thought Stairway to Heaven was #1!!

YEAH, the Rolf Harris version right??

BunnyFooFoo is so true RIGHT ON GIRL!
    as for me, from the list I love:

10 Madonna - Like a virgin CLASSIC
    I can remember going to "Rock Circus" in Leicester Square London and the groups they had there (wax works as per Madame Tussauds) were incredible!

My young son's reaction to "seeing" Madonna's performance of "Like a virgin" brought tears to my eyes, HE KNEW THE SONG so well because I played it so much at home! (boy I didn't realise how much! [Wink] )

76 Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
    Annie Lennox was actually pleasant to look at back then [Eek!]
    90 Police - Roxanne - classic old number, so good

well that's my choice ! nickg, nicely cut and pasted (wish I'd started this thread ! )
    from your old mate
    c h i e f y
    global chiefy to yer seadog seafarin' maties

Comment

quote:
      nirvana/teen spirit gets my vote for MOST OVERATED band/song during that period. give me a friggin' break!!! they were borderline decent at best, plus i have no respect for any idiot who's a junkie and blows their brains out because of their own idiocy!! cobain ain't missed in my book.
      Almost sounds like Ax Rose himself(except the killing of one's self).

quote:
      [b]99) Norah Jones - Don
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

lists like this are always subjective and open to debate and scrutiny.

even my 17 year old son looked at all the rap crap on this list and said "how those stupid songs get on there???"

"do they know it's Christmas" is on there but
        "we are the world" isn't?? (NOT that i like EITHER song actually)

destiny's child?? TLC?? dave matthews?? THESE are the GREATEST?????

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot"?? not one of MY favorite Benatar tunes.

i'll have to catch the show on VH1 and see what the criteria was for voting and the explanation behind a LOT of these tunes. THEN i'll shoot the judges!!
        I'll post, You argue.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Padres19:
          The last 25 years have been dreadful for music. It was painful growing up in the 80s!

Au contraire padre!! I think some of the finest music came from the 80's. If it's so bad then why is there a whole segment of the entertainment industry devoted to 80's revival music? In addition to special radio and TV programs devoted to nothing but 80's music, I've come across entire radio stations (over the air, TV cable, and now satellite) that play exclusively 80's stuff.

Whether or not you liked 80's music, at least it was original, unlike most of the stuff played today, which seems to be rehashes of old stuff (in style if not content) or else rap (which is NOT music).

Comment

quote:
            95)Oasis, Wonderwall. These guys are cooler than the Beatles (just ask them). Kick them right off the list.

Weather or not you like Oasis as a band, Wonderwall is and will always be a classic anthem (i've never seen more people sing any song while drunk than wonderwall)

quote:
            35) The Sugarhill Gang - Rapper

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Sig220Man:
              quote:
              Originally posted by Padres19:
              The last 25 years have been dreadful for music. It was painful growing up in the 80s!

Au contraire padre!! I think some of the finest music came from the 80's. If it's so bad then why is there a whole segment of the entertainment industry devoted to 80's revival music? In addition to special radio and TV programs devoted to nothing but 80's music, I've come across entire radio stations (over the air, TV cable, and now satellite) that play exclusively 80's stuff.

Whether or not you liked 80's music, at least it was original, unlike most of the stuff played today, which seems to be rehashes of old stuff (in style if not content) or else rap (which is NOT music).

i love the 80's stuff. some great bands and a lot of one hit wonder stuff. i mean look at tears for fears, level 42, power station, the police, and on and on......

i have directv so i get all the music choice audio channels and there's an 80's channel, but unfortunately they get in the habit of playing stuff like lionel ritchie or some of the sappy music shlock so i just go to the new wave channel and groove to madness, howard jones, inxs, depeche mode, OMD, talk talk, and a lot of cheezy 80's synth pop tunes ala flock of seagulls.

[ 06-12-2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: nickg ]
              I'll post, You argue.

Comment

OK, last 25 years. That would mean from 1978, which is the same year "Darkness on the Edge of Town" was released. Yet, all they could offer was "Born in the USA". Good song, but by far not the best, even from that album.

One song from Pat Benatar and it's not even her best. How about "Promises in the Dark"? "Love is a Battlefield"? "Shadows of the Night"?

Where's Tina Turner? Private Dancer had some great cuts.

Prince. Where's he at? And I'm not talking Purple Rain, either, although it was OK. OK, Red Corvette was there, but there was more.

Hanson??? Backdoor Boys???? Why not add Menudo and New Kids while you're at it!!!

"I Wouldn't Change a Thing"? Aerosmith released, what 8 albums from '79 up, and that's all they could find?

Rap. None of it desreved to be on there except Run DMC./Aerosmith with Walk This Way. OPP...gimme an f'ing break.

What's the criteria for this list? Staying power? Impact on pop culture? Greasing the palms of the voters? If it's impact on pop culture, where's The Buggles? I mean, come on, the first song played on MTV for crying out loud! If it's staying power, why so much rap and manufactured pop?

WHERE ARE THE EAGLES!!! AS A GROUP AND SOLO STUFF!!!!

Bryan Adams? He had some great stuff out there.

Buffett? C'mon!

Billy Joel? You mean to tell me they couldn't find anything from Glass Houses or Nylon Curtain? Not even an Innocent Man?

Jackyl? Ya gotta give props to a song that has accompaniment from a chain saw!

Mellencamp. Jack and Dianne is a good song, but he had a bunch more. Pick one from Scarecrow, Lonesome Jubilee and American Fool.

Grateful Dead? Uh..."Touch of Grey"?

Where's Everclear?

Glad to see Greenday on there. Quirky band, but some really good stuff.

Comment

How could anybody forget every single ladies' anthem? It goes a little something like this: (Sing along if you want to)

"It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
                  I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
                  Absolutely soaking wet!
                  It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
                  It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
                  Tall, blonde, dark and lean
                  Rough and tough and strong and mean.........."

I'm surprised that one didn't make it!
                  Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5450 users online. 342 members and 5108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X