Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a common thing with rotator light bars?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a common thing with rotator light bars?

Yesterday was an extremely bright day and I was out driving. I had a cop come up behind me really close. He wasn't driving that fast, but then he started to get annoyed driving behind me. I looked to see if his lights were on, but from what I could see they didn't appear to be on at all and there only was one lane with no shoulder and a deep muddy ditch so if I didn't need to, I really didn't want to put my freshly washed car in the ditch. It wasn't until he passed me on the wrong side of the road and got under a shadow that I could see his lights were on. I feel really bad because I looked to see if his lights were on and they weren't and he wasn't driving that fast. Normally I pull over right then and there and stop my car and wait for him to pass. About a minute later there was another car coming up behind me really fast with lights AND sirens going. I didn't really see the lights that well, but because the siren was going I knew that the lights were on.

I don't ever have this problem with strobe light bars, so I was wondering if you as police officers find that the rotator lights aren't as visible as they should be and if people not being able to see them during bright day light is a common thing.

I'm just glad I didn't get pulled over later for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Spee Dee,

I work in Alberta and I have mentioned this before. I drive a PC with the rotating light bar. I've been in many a situation during daylight that the people I'm trying to stop can't see the lights are turned on. I then usually have to honk my horn or turn on the sirens.

My lightbars are so archaic, there are two little monkeys sitting on a rotating disk holding candles.

RCMP

Comment

Antique Light Bars

See there's another reason to get rid of them Not to mention they freeze in winter and will be on but won't rotate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
        See there's another reason to get rid of them Not to mention they freeze in winter and will be on but won't rotate.
        I live in Saskatchewan so it's not uncommon for it to drop below -50
        Last edited by Spee-Dee; 08-08-2005, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Was it one of those V shaped lightbars? The Vector Vision series of lightbars allows the Officer to control the orientation of the light pods. It's possible he had his lightbar turned on, but had forgotten that he set the pods to shine to the rear... It's a common setup for traffic stops or accidents and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
            Yesterday was an extremely bright day and I was out driving. I had a cop come up behind me really close. He wasn't driving that fast, but then he started to get annoyed driving behind me. I looked to see if his lights were on, but from what I could see they didn't appear to be on at all and there only was one lane with no shoulder and a deep muddy ditch so if I didn't need to, I really didn't want to put my freshly washed car in the ditch. It wasn't until he passed me on the wrong side of the road and got under a shadow that I could see his lights were on. I feel really bad because I looked to see if his lights were on and they weren't and he wasn't driving that fast. Normally I pull over right then and there and stop my car and wait for him to pass. About a minute later there was another car coming up behind me really fast with lights AND sirens going. I didn't really see the lights that well, but because the siren was going I knew that the lights were on.

I don't ever have this problem with strobe light bars, so I was wondering if you as police officers find that the rotator lights aren't as visible as they should be and if people not being able to see them during bright day light is a common thing.

I'm just glad I didn't get pulled over later for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.
            he passed you in the deep muddy ditch

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
              he passed you in the deep muddy ditch
              If he passed him on the wrong side of the road I am sure it was the opposite lane.

Comment

that threw me off there,,thats what i thought, but isnt that were you are supposed to pass someone.

Comment

Originally posted by nemmy
                  Was it one of those V shaped lightbars? The Vector Vision series of lightbars allows the Officer to control the orientation of the light pods. It's possible he had his lightbar turned on, but had forgotten that he set the pods to shine to the rear... It's a common setup for traffic stops or accidents and the like.
                  This is also the most ineffiecient lightbar to date. Rotators + V shape = More battery power.

Our department uses LED Bars, I think they have 32 LEDs in them on the front side, and another 32 on the back. Blue on Blue with White Side Markers.

If you can't see them comming, you shouldn't be driving.

Also, if the officer was really trying to get there in a hurry, he most likely would of hit his siren. Lights only means he wants to get there fast, but not in a hurry (typically)

Comment

My whole vehicle could be blinking and my sirens going and people still don't see me. Apparently they have perfected a way to make a vehicle invisible. You just hit the button that says "lightbar"...

I find that with the sound deadening technology of today people don't hear sirens in the newer cars. I cringe everytime I hear a car ad that advertises only "so many decibels audible inside the car.."

On the other side, I can be driving just going between places and people will pull off the road in front of me almost going into the ditch..Always makes me double check to make sure my lights are off. Very confusing!

I'm amazed at how many people think that we teleport between calls...

Well...That's enough of a rant for now.

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9
                      My whole vehicle could be blinking and my sirens going and people still don't see me. Apparently they have perfected a way to make a vehicle invisible. You just hit the button that says "lightbar"...

I find that with the sound deadening technology of today people don't hear sirens in the newer cars. I cringe everytime I hear a car ad that advertises only "so many decibels audible inside the car.."

On the other side, I can be driving just going between places and people will pull off the road in front of me almost going into the ditch..Always makes me double check to make sure my lights are off. Very confusing!

I'm amazed at how many people think that we teleport between calls...

Well...That's enough of a rant for now.

While working the other day, we had a EMS / Fire call up the road, and I was infront of two cars. I heard and saw EMS comming about a block away, pulled off the road, and then two civilian vehicles passed me, only to pull over 15 more feet up the road with EMS blaring down their neck.

Comment

Originally posted by nemmy

No, it was straight and clear with blue and read bulbs.

I feel so horrible for not getting out of his way though. I'm usually the person driving down the road swearing at the other person on the road with the PC tailgating with the lights on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6012 users online. 309 members and 5703 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X