X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Alongs

Does your Department do them?

What are your feelings about them?

What protection do you give the Civilian?

Matthew

Originally posted by dc francis
    Does your Department do them?

What are your feelings about them?

What protection do you give the Civilian?

Matthew

1. Yes, we do

2. Fine if I know the person. And if they act up we take a quick trip back to the station to drop them off.

3. A quick lesson on cover: "Get the hell on the floorboard!"
    "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

Comment

I have done two (both w/ St. Paul PD) The officers were nice and seemed cool with having me along. And I went EVERYWHERE they went, and im sure if need be they would have protected me the same way they protect any innocent civilian.

Comment

Yes, we do them.
        As a Reserve Officer I get to get into the **** the FT members get into. Doing ride-a-longs as a civi was fun. DON'T EVER LEAVE THE CAR!!!
        Protection?? HAHAHAHAHA They had us sign a waiver stating the PD was not responsible for anything that happened to you if you rode. No bullet proof vests, OC or carrying a gun either.

Comment

We do ride-alongs here, Ive been on about 40.

Rules...
          -No guns or any weapons (Duh!)
          -We can get out on all calls, unless we don't want to, or unless the officer says no.
          -We just got radios, so after I pass the radio compentency test I will beable to cary/use a radio while going on a ride-along.
          -We are allowed to wear bulletproof vests, but PD does not supply.
          -And the officers make us do alot of paperwork.

But that is from the point of view from a cadet/explorer, I have never done a ride-along as a civi.
          U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
          Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Originally posted by ARcop
            Yes, we do them.
            As a Reserve Officer I get to get into the **** the FT members get into. Doing ride-a-longs as a civi was fun. DON'T EVER LEAVE THE CAR!!!
            Protection?? HAHAHAHAHA They had us sign a waiver stating the PD was not responsible for anything that happened to you if you rode. No bullet proof vests, OC or carrying a gun either.
            Where about's in Arkansas you at? If you want you can PM me.

Comment

My department allows ride-alongs, but only after a quick background check and a liability waiver is completed. The rider can opt for body armor if they want, but I can't recall anyone asking for it. No weapons are authorized except for sworn LEO's. The rider is required to stay in the vehicle for any call that is of a dangerous nature (fights, domestics, alarms, etc.). If an officer must go to a really dangerous call (shots fired, pursuits, barracaded person) the rider gets dropped at a safe location and the officer calls for someone to come get them. I typically don't mind riders except for the really annoying ones that think they are the police or think the car belongs to them and likes to screw with the car stereo, dig through the glove compartment, stuff like that. That is when we just call up the Sarge and "remind" him of that deposition, special detail, or whatever so we can get them out of the car.
              God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po
                My department allows ride-alongs, but only after a quick background check and a liability waiver is completed. The rider can opt for body armor if they want, but I can't recall anyone asking for it. No weapons are authorized except for sworn LEO's. The rider is required to stay in the vehicle for any call that is of a dangerous nature (fights, domestics, alarms, etc.). If an officer must go to a really dangerous call (shots fired, pursuits, barracaded person) the rider gets dropped at a safe location and the officer calls for someone to come get them. I typically don't mind riders except for the really annoying ones that think they are the police or think the car belongs to them and likes to screw with the car stereo, dig through the glove compartment, stuff like that. That is when we just call up the Sarge and "remind" him of that deposition, special detail, or whatever so we can get them out of the car.
                Why do people go through the glove box of other people's cars anyways? It's so bloody rude and ****es me off. I now have to keep mine locked to keep people out.

Do you guys keep anything interesting in it?

Comment

It sounds like most places either have the rider stay in the car, or get dropped off if there is something really dangerous.

For me, 100% civilian, I went EVERYWHERE they did. This includes officer in need of backup, armed robbery in progress, takedown of two armed suspects who had just committed a violent crime, not to mention serving a warrant to a assault with a deadly weapon suspect. It was VERY intense at times.

Comment

Originally posted by greeny
                    It sounds like most places either have the rider stay in the car, or get dropped off if there is something really dangerous.

For me, 100% civilian, I went EVERYWHERE they did. This includes officer in need of backup, armed robbery in progress, takedown of two armed suspects who had just committed a violent crime, not to mention serving a warrant to a assault with a deadly weapon suspect. It was VERY intense at times.
                    I was being a bit flippant in my first reply.

I have no problems with ride-alongs as long as they act intelligent. They are allowed to get out of the car unless the scene is very dangerous. On my DUI stops, they can stand as close as they want as long as they stay out of camera range. I also like to know if they know how to use a shotgun in an emergency

Comment

Most of the officers on my department dislike having ride-alongs. They are there to work, not entertain. Im shocked at the way some of these people are dressed when they show up. Everything from ninja gear to levis with holes in the knees. In my book, that gets you sent home before you even get near the car. The last guy I sent home showed up wearing a huge coyboy hat. His first question to the officer was to ask for a key to the shotgun. Sent him home before he even made it in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunkcop
                        I was being a bit flippant in my first reply.

I have no problems with ride-alongs as long as they act intelligent. They are allowed to get out of the car unless the scene is very dangerous. On my DUI stops, they can stand as close as they want as long as they stay out of camera range. I also like to know if they know how to use a shotgun in an emergency
                        I want to ride with you! In my 2 ride alongs I had to sit in the car at every little stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                          Most of the officers on my department dislike having ride-alongs. They are there to work, not entertain. Im shocked at the way some of these people are dressed when they show up. Everything from ninja gear to levis with holes in the knees. In my book, that gets you sent home before you even get near the car. The last guy I sent home showed up wearing a huge coyboy hat. His first question to the officer was to ask for a key to the shotgun. Sent him home before he even made it in the car.

Ninja gear?

What are you supposed to wear when you go on ride-alongs anyways? Some say to dress up, but when you're going to be sitting in a car for long periods of time and you're a girl, your comfortable dressy clothes are not all that numerous. And I'm pretty sure that having a girl sitting beside you constantly trying to make sure her *** isn't falling out of her low rise pants (I hate 'em, but all dress pants are low rise these days.) could be seen as a driving distraction to the police officer.

The last guy I sent home showed up wearing a huge coyboy hat. His first question to the officer was to ask for a key to the shotgun. Sent him home before he even made it in the car.
                          That just screams stupid. I am reminded of the time at the security gate at the Kelowna airport when my mom asked the security lady "So, how would someone get a gun on the plane?" After she was told to not ask that again, she asked it again. I won't even get into the fun we had when she got out of the truck at the US border after she was told to not get out of the truck.

So what were these people's reactions to being sent home based on their form of dress and stupid questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Conner
                            I want to ride with you! In my 2 ride alongs I had to sit in the car at every little stop.
                            You're not stupid, are you?

Comment

When I used to take ride alongs, they'd show up pretty decently dressed in khakis or something along those lines (that included females).

Ride alongs never bugged me, but the ones who thought they should help with everything drove me bonkers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4532 users online. 250 members and 4282 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X