• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD lowering standards

Story

Opinions

LAPD may ease drug rules to expand recruiting pool
    Chief says he'll work to change practice of automatically rejecting candidates who experimented.
    By David Zahniser
    Copley News Service

Hoping to boost recruitment at the Los Angeles Police Department, Police Chief William Bratton said Thursday he will work to revamp his department's screening process for its job applicants -- including the current ban on job candidates who have used drugs.

Bratton said the LAPD's screening standards may be "artificially high," causing the department to turn away qualified candidates who then get hired by other police agencies.

To reverse that trend, Bratton called for less stringent requirements regarding a job candidate's prior drug use or financial problems.

"In the past, we've pretty much rejected anybody who admitted they had ever tried drugs of any kind," Bratton said. "The reality is, kids today, by the time they hit 21 ... they may have in fact tried, sampled drugs at some time in their life.

"Should that be an automatic disqualifier? I don't believe so," the chief added.

The LAPD typically must review 800 candidates to obtain 60 recruits for the Police Academy, a costly process that can take several months. Bratton said he will make a presentation in the next few weeks to council members and the Police Commission on changes to the recruitment process, including a possible shift to federal standards for a candidate's prior drug history.

The FBI states that any job candidate cannot have smoked marijuana more than 15 times in his or her lifetime -- and not at all in the three years before applying for a job. FBI rules also state that a job candidate cannot have used any other drug, including steroids, more than five times -- and not at all in the 10 years before seeking a position, said FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller.

Officials in the city's personnel department would not describe the standards it uses to disqualify potential LAPD recruits, saying the release of such information would help candidates craft their responses in city job applications.

Still, the personnel officials said the city tries to establish an LAPD candidate's maturity and honesty.

"If you've had someone who's had one problem and one problem only, we're not going to disqualify a person for that," said Margaret Whelan, general manager of the personnel department. "We're looking at trends."

Councilman Dennis Zine, a former police officer himself, voiced fears that any relaxation of the LAPD's recruitment standards could result in problems like the Rampart scandal, which involved rogue officers who were drug dealers themselves.

"We need to maintain high standards so we don't have corruption," he said.

The chief's comments come as the department is searching for ways to attract more officers and accelerate recruitment, in part by doubling the number of recruits that can be trained in a given month.

The LAPD hopes to hire 370 additional officers by the end of June. Bratton and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa also hope to add more than 1,000 additional officers in the coming years.

Bratton said he is also looking at the department's reluctance to hire candidates who have had problems paying their bills. If a job candidate making $20,000 annually is having money problems, those problems might disappear with an LAPD annual salary that exceeds $50,000, he said.

"What we're attempting to do is ensure that we get the best candidates, but make sure we're not losing candidates who would make great police officers," he said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by NavyCop; 02-22-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

We need higher standards, not lower ones. Municipalities have to understand that they are going to have to pay more in order to get a better candidate.

Comment

They lowered their standards & got Raphel Perez & Nino Durden, 2 of the worst crooks to ever pin on a cops badge. LAPD didnt learn squat. One can only wonder what LAPD will do next to smear law enforcements reputation.
        Last edited by Stan Switek; 08-07-2005, 07:38 PM.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Last edited by NavyCop; 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator

The thing that kills me the most is that the caucasion person in LA is the minority and not the other way around.
            Aside from the fact that there is a large number of illegal immigrants in the greater LA area, why is the fact that caucasians are a minority a bad thing?
            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Sorry, but I don't see this as drastically lowering standards by the LAPD. Speaking for my generation, I don't personally know very many people that HAVEN'T tried pot. Just because you were dumb when you were fifteen doesn't mean you can't be squared away when you're 25.

And isn't LAPD understaffed by about 3K officers under their current standards?
              *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
                Sorry, but I don't see this as drastically lowering standards by the LAPD. Speaking for my generation, I don't personally know very many people that HAVEN'T tried pot. Just because you were dumb when you were fifteen doesn't mean you can't be squared away when you're 25.

And isn't LAPD understaffed by about 3K officers under their current standards?
                I'd have to agree. Although I don't agree with drug usage, there are a lot of young people who have unfortunately tried pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                  Aside from the fact that there is a large number of illegal immigrants in the greater LA area, why is the fact that caucasians are a minority a bad thing?
                  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but if whites are now the minority, shouldn't they receive hiring preference under affirmative action?

If LAPD wants to recruit more candidates, they need to boost the salary of their patrol officers. $50,000 doesn't go as far as it used to.
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

OK that makes more sense, in that case I see what's being said then. Sorry, assumption on my part.
                    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                      Because the majority are illegal aliens.

Comment

I don't see how hiring people who may have experimented because of an exuberent youth is "lowering" standards. It's the ones that go beyond experimenting that you need to worry about. What if underage drinking or tobacco use was a disqualifier? How many of you would be employed?

Kids do stupid things. It's how they handle the consequences that seperates them from the rest.
                        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

You get what you pay for. I took their test when they came to Boston and it was a joke. Basically an English comprehension essay. I finished the entire process out there in 3 days.

$50K in LA is peanuts. You'd have to live with 3 or 4 other officers to afford a decent place somewhat close to work. An organization that big should be able to attract the best possible candidates with big bucks no whammies.
                          Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                            I don't see how hiring people who may have experimented because of an exuberent youth is "lowering" standards. It's the ones that go beyond experimenting that you need to worry about. What if underage drinking or tobacco use was a disqualifier? How many of you would be employed?

Kids do stupid things. It's how they handle the consequences that seperates them from the rest.
                            Say a guy is 18 & wants to be a cop. While he is going to school over the next 3 years, he "experiments" with coke, herion, some PCP, just experiments mind you. Is that acceptable?

Comment

Lord I hope not, LAPD really doesn't care about some pot smoking in HS. I feel the main problem in their recruiting is that they take so long to do the Bkgd that by the tie they are ready to hire a guy, he is already hired by somebody else and they are left with the dregs. All they really need to do is speed up the process and they will meet their goals.
                              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2824 users online. 183 members and 2641 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X