300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stolen vehicles

In St. Louis (city and county) over the past few years, a new trend about stolen cars has occurred.

Prosecutors will not issue warrants against any suspects in a stolen auto that still has the keys in it.

They claim it is because they cannot prove that the suspect could not have had the knowlege that vehicle was stolen if the keys were in it. That is unless the person gives a statement that he knew it was stolen or stole it himself.

Essentially, if a car is stolen from someones driveway w/ the keys in it and you catch the person 15 minutes later around the corner..youre S.O.L. The car thieves know that they will sit for no more than a few hours as along as they say "some guy asked me if I wanted the car, so I took it."

My question to the rest of you is if this is a practice wlsewhere in the country?
    In this buisness, you can't fight the junkyard dogs with ASPCA rules.

That would mean prosecuters would have to go to court...we can't have that!

Our prosecuters wouldn't issue a warrant on a guy for a meth lab task force got a while back. Long story short, he had a meth lab in a garage behind his house, paraphernalia and a paper plate full of meth in his microwave inside the house. It was clearly his house and his house alone, but since he wasn't home, no warrant.

I took a lab out of a car a few months ago, had all of the ingredients, ephedrine, cookware, salt, coleman fuel, etc., even a shopping list. But, all the stuff was new, wasn't used yet. No warrant.
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

There's probably a couple of things are going on. First, it may be that the prosecutor's office is reaching a point where they have more cases to handle than they are capable of doing. When this happens, quality of prosecutuon policies like this are often enacted to reduce the case load to a manageable level.

It also may be that current court trends (case law, mood of the courts, etc.) are such that getting convictions under these circumstances is becoming harder and harder, hence the new policy.

That should not keep you from making the arrest anyway and letting the prosecutor decide how or whether to proceed.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11541 users online. 436 members and 11105 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X