300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twelve ( 12 ) hour shift deployment questions

I am looking for whatever advice, policies, general practices anyone has on twelve ( 12 ) hours shift deploment schedules. We are trying to convince our chief to go from 8s to 12s. How do you handle call-offs, overtime, sick time, etc? How do you work in kellys days? Does anyone have frontloaded kelly days? How do you adjust (or don't you) if someone is in training for a day or on funeral leave, etc? Do 12hr plans decrease overtime? Does anyone have any research? Please send what you have to [email protected] . Attachments are fine.

Thanks in advance.
    Jes

What exactly is a "Kelly" day for those that are not from OH?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Kellys Days

I've come to find out that although the term "kelly days" is used across the country, many people refer to them by a different name. Kelly days are when you work more than 80 hours in a 2-week period due to twelve hours shift. The extra 4 hours is not paid in overtime or time-and-a-half compt time. It is given back as a kelly day which is sort of like compt time. Some departments have specific days they must take off for the kelly day, some just put it in a kelly bank like comp time.

Comment

Oh..Ok..

Being in FL and having quite a few agencies that work 12's... I never heard of that term.. Thanks for the info.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Ive worked both 8 and 12 hour shifts. I prefer the 12 hour shift because the schedule looks alot better, I get a 3 day weekend every other week. Gives me something to look forward to when the shifts just seem to crawl by

Comment

edited- wrong response
            SORRY
            Last edited by e-man; 08-06-2005, 04:29 PM.
            I got nothing for now

Comment

I live in S. Florida, and most agencies that I know of dont have Kelly Days. Firefighters have Kelly days, not Police. I work 12hr shifts. 4 day on, 4 days off. I love it. All overtime can be turned into cash, or comp time. We get a certain amount of sick/vacation/personal time per year.

Comment

Our 12 hour schedule is as follows:

A Shift: Thur/Fri/Sat/ every other Sunday off

B shift: Mon/Tue/Wed every other Sunday off.

So if you were on A shift your 2 week work schedule would be:

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
                Week 1 off on on on off off off
                Week 2 on on on on off off off

One of the 7 days you work during the 14 day pay period would be an 8 hour day. This keeps you from having a "Kelly" day and gives you 80 hours for a 14 day pay period.

Most of the guys who work nights on this schedule will trade out thier time if they have to go to court i.e. you're in court for 3 hours and you have to be at work that night, you come in 3 hours later, leave 3 hours early or work the 12 hour shift and put in for ot/comp time. Sometimes they will make it their day i.e. have to in court at 1300 so instead of working 1900-0700 that day, they will work 1300-0100. Of course it all depends on manpower if they are allowed to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by RwHJR3
                  I live in S. Florida, and most agencies that I know of dont have Kelly Days. Firefighters have Kelly days, not Police. I work 12hr shifts. 4 day on, 4 days off. I love it. All overtime can be turned into cash, or comp time. We get a certain amount of sick/vacation/personal time per year.
                  RWHJR3... schedule sounds like the agency I used to work for. What agency...? PM me.
                  In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

A side B Side
                    Mon on Mon off
                    Tue on Tue off
                    Wed off Wed on
                    Thu off Thu on
                    Fri on Fri off
                    Sat on Sat off
                    Sub on Sun off

Three 11.5 hour shifts, 0530-1600, 1500-0230, 1800-0530

It comes out to 80.5 hrs over two weeks. OT is cut back a bit since you typically have better coverage than 8's so it will save the dept $$. The troops like it because you get a three day weekend every week and if you want to take a trip or something on your short week you only have to burn two leave days.

-web
                    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4006 users online. 192 members and 3814 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X