300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearm waiting periods...

I know some states have stringent laws on firearm purchasing and ownership, and was wondering if LEO's are exempt from these?

Posted in General so CIVILIANS can also reply

The longest I have ever waited for a gun purchase was about 10 minutes and I use no special "passes".

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I have bought several handguns in Maryland after getting into LE. This included my off duty carry weapon. Still had to wait the seven days no matter what.

Kind of pointless law since if I wanted to shoot someone I already owned several guns.
      In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

I had to wait 10 minutes once, but that was only because there was someone in line in front of me. Also, the normal $5 charge for the purchase permit was waived.

Comment

Civilian. So I'd have to wait 72 hours...cause YOU know, NO criminal who needs a gun is going black-market, he's going to a gun shop. Besides...those 3 days'll make your criminal *** have a change of heart.

"You lucky...I WAS gon' bust a cap in yo ***, but I had 3 days to think about it."

Anyone sworn can walk right in, show ID/star, fill out necessary paperwork & walk out with the gun. A friend who was in the academy & not sworn yet showed his ID & a letter from the super (chief), same procedure.

Comment

Oregon is a waiting period state. You have to wait for the guy in front to finish buying so you can buy yours.

I don't think waiting periods are worth much, I do believe in stringent criminal checks, which oregon does.
            Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Originally posted by CPDZone9
              .Anyone sworn can walk right in, show ID/star, fill out necessary paperwork & walk out with the gun. A friend who was in the academy & not sworn yet showed his ID & a letter from the super (chief), same procedure.
              I guess it depends on the state. I'm sworn but I have never been asked for my ID when making a purchase. Maybe its because some stoe owners know me but I have bought from the box stores with no waiting.

TGY
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                I guess it depends on the state. I'm sworn but I have never been asked for my ID when making a purchase. Maybe its because some stoe owners know me but I have bought from the box stores with no waiting.

TGY
                Yeah, it's a matter of the state. If you aren't an LEO in Illinois, you're subject to a 72-hour wait so they have to see ID to release the gun immediately.

Comment

I love my state!

In Wyoming...the only waiting you do is while the NICS (Brady) check is run. And, if you have a CHL, you don't have to even do that! The BATF has ruled that my permit qualifies as an NICS. Otherwise, the waiting consists of. . .will my credit card/check clear?
                  We use 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 2 to pull a trigger. I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Comment

Yea here in West Michigan if you have a CCW it takes longer to fill out the paper work for a new gun purchase than waiting for background check and check/credit card to clear.. .....for example last year I bought a Colt 1911 for myself for my BDAY and from the second I showed the gun dealer my CCW and DL and filled out paper work while waiting for background check it took 7 minutes till I was walking out the door with my 1911.

Sic Semper Tyrannus

Comment

California's is like 5-7 years for civilians....
                      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Ohio...instant checks with the county sheriff ...longest one was about 20 minutes...most of the time I am ready by the time I fill out the yellow form...which is about all of 5 minutes.
                        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Iowa requires a permit to aquire or CCW for handguns no wait .

Comment

In Texas with a CCP you dont have to wait just fill out the little yellow form and run.

Comment

in fla....if yr in uniform and yr gun on yr hip, ya gotta wait,
                              but if yr in uniform and have a ccf permit..pick up same day.
                              the uniform has nothing to do with it, they did noit add any provisions for
                              leo's whenthey changed the law.
                              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3784 users online. 205 members and 3579 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X