300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury on Duty

Hi, I am a Police Officer in the UK. Last August(2004) whilst arresting a male I received two prolapsed discs in the base of my back and a hernia. I was off work for some time whilst awaiting treatment. My force then put me on half pay resulting in financial hardship for my family, my wife is also a cop.
    Although the job was paying for my treatment and my occupational health unit had advised that I should remain on full pay, the powers that be, said no he goes on half pay.
    I have returned back to work even though still receiving treatment and in constant pain, but needs must, and I am trying to play catch up with missed payments whilst I was on half my normal pay. I cannot drive and cannot work on frontline duties again. My Federation (union) were suprised to find I was placed on half pay. but they tried and failed to overturn the ruling.

Does anyone else have any bad experiences like this??

I am a third generation police officer with an outstanding record. I was proud of my work, but it has made me feel very different now.
    Last edited by jmc; 08-05-2005, 03:54 PM.

Originally posted by jmc
    Hi, I am a Police Officer in the UK. Last August(2004) whilst arresting a male I received two prolapsed discs in the base of my back and a hernia. I was off work for some time whilst awaiting treatment. My force then put me on half pay resulting in financial hardship for my family, my wife is also a cop.
    Although the job was paying for my treatment and my occupational health unit had advised that I should remain on full pay, the powers that be, said no he goes on half pay.
    I have returned back to work even though still receiving treatment and in constant pain, but needs must, and I am trying to play catch up with missed payments whilst I was on half my normal pay. I cannot drive and cannot work on frontline duties again. My Federation (union) were suprised to find I was placed on half pay. but they tried and failed to overturn the ruling.

Does anyone else have any bad experiences like this??

I am a third generation police officer with an outstanding record. I was proud of my work, but it has made me feel very different now.
    For those reasons alone I have taken out the insurance you can buy to make up your pay. I have heard of a couple of people that have been in similiar circumstances as you were.
    I know you don't want to hear the above but I would urge anyone else to take this out to cover them.
    Mate, I really do feel for you, what force are you with and did you find out who it was that made the actual decision to put yu onto half pay - senior officer / civil staff ??

Keep the chin up.

Comment

That is insane... I am sorry to hear about that.

Comment

that's horrible man.... i hope you start feeling better... you can't ever work front line again????

Comment

No, I have been told I will not be able to return to front line policing

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5502 users online. 306 members and 5196 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X