Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YES!! Stl D.J's Fired; Disparaging Remarks Vs. Cops

YES!! Stl D.J's Fired; Disparaging Remarks Vs. Cops

Radio station KATZ (100.3 FM) has fired two morning deejays for discussing ways to disarm and fight police officers just days after a Kirkwood police officer was slain.

DJ Kaos and DJ Sylli Asz, hosts of the popular "Kaos in the Morning" show, "are no longer with the station," Lee Clear, a general manager for station owner Clear Channel Communications, said in a prepared statement released on Wednesday.

A broadcast on July 13 featured the two hosts talking with callers about how to injure officers and take their radios away so they couldn't call for help.

Just eight days earlier, Sgt. William McEntee was fatally shot while sitting in his patrol car. A 19-year-old man, Kevin Johnson, is charged with his murder.

The incident was infused with racial tension after Johnson's family accused police officers, who were searching for Johnson on a probation violation, of failing to help Johnson's brother, who collapsed earlier that day and died from a heart defect. Ninety minutes later, Johnson, who is black, allegedly shot McEntee, who is white.

KATZ is the St. Louis radio market's top-rated urban format station and fourth highest-rated station overall.

The DJs, whom KATZ refused to identify beyond their on-air names, were suspended a day after the show aired. In the nearly three weeks since, the station has been hit with calls for the DJs' dismissal and a boycott by members of the Fraternal Order of Police. A station executive said they were inundated with calls about the incident.

In his brief statement, Clear wrote that KATZ "does not advocate violence of any kind" and said the station has "the utmost respect" for law enforcement. The station declined further comment.

DJ Kaos worked at KATZ for five years. DJ Sylli Asz was with the program 18 months, according to the station.

The DJs could not be reached for comment.

Scott Sherman, an attorney for DJ Kaos, said his client intends to fight the dismissal. Sherman said the incident "was blown out of proportion" and called the firing "unfair." Sherman said DJ Kaos had been promised he'd get his job back if he agreed to a one-month suspension and donated part of his pay to a group that supports police officers.

The St. Louis Police Officers Association said it "applauded" the station's actions. "It is reassuring to the law enforcement community to know that public statements advocating violence against police officers will not be tolerated," said President Kevin Ahlbrand

--------------------------------------------------
    Earlier/StL Post-Dispatch

Two deejays have been fired from St. Louis
    New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

As an officer, and a part time on air personality here in S. FL, I applaud the station for making the right decision. These two have no business on the air.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

i agree totally, but the sad thing is they are gonna sue cause of freedom of speech, and in todays world, will probably win,,my take, you have free speech all you want on your time, however, when you do it on company time and you tarnish them or put them in jepordy, they have every right to abolish your butt. just my opinion. "be nice to one another and take care of one another" Jerry Springer.

Comment

Anyone want to bet they'll be picked-up by some other station?
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they were, Delta. However, don't expect the community to sit back and not speak out against it. People around here were ready to boycott the station and advertisers that broadcast on that station, which is why they were ultimately fired and not just suspended.

However on the note of them suing I wouldn't be quick to say they will definately win. What they did is equal, and in my opinion worse, to yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Freedom of speech, as said in many discussions, does not mean you can say things that will incite or encourage violence and that is exactly what they did.
          Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
          For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
          Shall be my brother." - Henry V

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
            i agree totally, but the sad thing is they are gonna sue cause of freedom of speech, and in todays world, will probably win,,my take, you have free speech all you want on your time, however, when you do it on company time and you tarnish them or put them in jepordy, they have every right to abolish your butt. just my opinion. "be nice to one another and take care of one another" Jerry Springer.
            Yeah I was going to say, I don't think freedom of speech would really apply when you're on company time and company air waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Matto
              Yeah I was going to say, I don't think freedom of speech would really apply when you're on company time and company air waves.
              Good point, the station can say "Well, you cna say whatever you want to, just not on our time and air waves."
              U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
              Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

As I've heard someone say many times before:

The Constitution is in place to protect you from the government. Private businesses do not have to recognize your right of free speech.
                Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
                  As I've heard someone say many times before:

The Constitution is in place to protect you from the government. Private businesses do not have to recognize your right of free speech.
                  good,,i hope to crap you are right, but im sure they are still gonna argue it.

Comment

My PD (Program Director) would not tolerate me talking like that. Granted as a cop, I never would... but the same applies in reverse. I do not go on the air and talk about how to kill a criminal. (Hmmmm... topic for my show tomorrow?)

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruh
                      However on the note of them suing I wouldn't be quick to say they will definately win. What they did is equal, and in my opinion worse, to yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Freedom of speech, as said in many discussions, does not mean you can say things that will incite or encourage violence and that is exactly what they did.
                      True.
                      Also FCC most likely has Regulations regarding such speech on the air waves.
                      Try speaking of ways to kill the president on the Air ..... haha .... that $hi7 wouldent fly and all that "Free speach" will go out the window. Same thing trying to say how to "kill" a cop; BAAAAD arguement if gona try to argue free speach.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                        My PD (Program Director) would not tolerate me talking like that. Granted as a cop, I never would... but the same applies in reverse. I do not go on the air and talk about how to kill a criminal. (Hmmmm... topic for my show tomorrow?)
                        I spent 20 years in the radio business before I became a cop. We would never have done this. There is a guy who runs the stlmedia website (Mike Anderson) who has really stood up for the police on this one, and I think he applied a lot of pressure from within the business.

This isn't over yet. Mike wants the cluster manager (who oversees all of Clear Channel's stations in STL) fired as well. If these thugs win a lawsuit, of if CC caves, I think the STL Police union's next step should be a formal complaint to the FCC. A boycott of any station that hires them might be a good idea as well. STL brothers and sisters, don't let this one go!
                        "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

Comment

Free speech is a government created myth that the masses so blindly suscribe to, just try voicing your opinion against any government and see if the powers that be won't try to shut you down.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                            If these two jokers sue, and win, then yeah, you should have a "how to kill a criminal" hour.

Comment

There are just certain things you do not talk about on the radio or on TV. How to disarm a police officer or prevent them from gettting to their radio is on that list. These two deserved what they got. As far as the cluster manager being fired, I do not know if I agree with that. He did not know what these two morons were going to talk about that morning. I would place more blame on the PD and the station manager for not going into that studio and yanking them off, and going right to commercial.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4907 users online. 311 members and 4596 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X