300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to think about

I'm really not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe somebody here needs to read this today. Heck, it's a good reminder for all of us. I sat at breakfast this morning feeling a little tired and honestly a little discouraged about the length of the hiring process to become an LEO and a scene played back in my mind from 4 or 5 years ago so I thought I would share it.

It's a lunch time on a Friday afternoon, I'm sitting in the drive thru at the bank to deposit my check. It's been a really rough week. One of those where everything you touch turns to sh*t. So I'm sitting there "reflecting" on what a lousy week it has been. I deposit my check and turn left out of the bank parking lot onto the street and stop at the stop light. I look to my left and see a little boy probably about 10 years old crossing the street with a lady assisting (teaching) him. As look closer I realize he has a walking stick. He is blind.

Talk about feeling like crap. I sat there and thought to myself, I just deposited a pretty nice pay check, I'm sitting in a fairly nice truck and complaining about how bad I have it. When you put everything into the proper perspective I've got it pretty damn good. Makes you think.

I'm not a touchy, feely kind of guy but even I got a little choked up as I sat there and watched that kid doing the best he could with the circumstances he was given and reflecting inward on my **** poor attitude about everything I have been blessed with.

TRPR2B
    Be a leader, not a follower

That wasn't "touchy feely" in my opinion. People who don't reflect and count their blessings can end up bitter because they are always looking for the next silver lining instead of enjoying the one they already have. I have had a bit of the same lesson this month. We are hosting a young man from Belarus for 5 weeks. (he leaves on the 15th) He has never seen the ocean, never been to any mountains, things I take for granted every day. I was reminded as the young man and his interpreter were enjoying the beauty around them, that I have alot.

trpr2b, thanks for sharing
    stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

And here we are at the top of the food chain, have dominion over all things, and are the most selfish destructive animals on the planet and we bitch and mon about superficial sh-t like not having any milk. I truly believe that Allah/God/Jehovah whatever you call your creator makes no mistakes only examples to teach us spolied brats lessons. Don't pity that young boy, envy him that he won't be able to see the hell on this earth and become corrupted like those who have vision.

Comment

trpr2b, I think that we all take things for granted, it is hard not to in life these days with all the luxuries we have. A lot of people would not even have had the feeling you had that day seeing that poor little boy, by you having that feeling inside and getting choked up shows that you are a caring guy. Take care.
        Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comment

TRPR2B,

Boy did you say a mouthful and I'll give you a big amen.

When my 4 year old daughter was raped last year, I could not see anything through the anger and bitterness that I was swimming in. I sank into a deep depression and withdrew from any and all human contact.

My faith in Christ has been the rock which has pulled me through this. There were many times when I couldn't cope one more minute with the pain and I cried out my anger and hatred to God. Good thing He has big shoulders, eh?

As for counting my blessings, I have watched my daughter as she has overcome the ordeal with far more grace and dignity than I could have imagined. She has not let it slow her down at all. I get teary eyed just watching her play with her sister and laugh her big belly laughs. To see her, you would never know what was done to her. She is a soft hearted, loving little six year old now with that childlike wonder of the world that I feared she would lose. There seem to be no after affects perhaps due to her young age when the assault took place (4 years old) and she is maturing like any other little girl.

I sometimes think that God allowed me to take on the weight of her abuse so that she would be unscarred.

I am also blessed with another beautiful little girl who's shy little giggle is the exact opposite of her outgoing older sister but just as cherished.

And of course I could not forget my beautiful wife who stuck with me even while dealing with her own demons all alone as I wallowed in my private hell.

Is life perfect? Nobody ever said it would be a bowl of cherries.

Are there people worse off than me? Undoubtably!

However, when I take the time to count my blessings when times seem hardest, I always seem to end up on the better end of the stick.

Stay Safe.

Comment

Praise God! What wonderful testimonies.

I know that might sound weird to some. Simply put... Everyday we learn. Those stories remind me of a song I heard.... Its called "through the valley" by Ginny Owens.

My favorite lines are "You never said it would be easy. You only said I'd never be alone."
            Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bulldog
              TRPR2B,

Boy did you say a mouthful and I'll give you a big amen.

When my 4 year old daughter was raped last year, I could not see anything through the anger and bitterness that I was swimming in. I sank into a deep depression and withdrew from any and all human contact.

My faith in Christ has been the rock which has pulled me through this. There were many times when I couldn't cope one more minute with the pain and I cried out my anger and hatred to God. Good thing He has big shoulders, eh?

As for counting my blessings, I have watched my daughter as she has overcome the ordeal with far more grace and dignity than I could have imagined. She has not let it slow her down at all. I get teary eyed just watching her play with her sister and laugh her big belly laughs. To see her, you would never know what was done to her. She is a soft hearted, loving little six year old now with that childlike wonder of the world that I feared she would lose. There seem to be no after affects perhaps due to her young age when the assault took place (4 years old) and she is maturing like any other little girl.

I sometimes think that God allowed me to take on the weight of her abuse so that she would be unscarred.

I am also blessed with another beautiful little girl who's shy little giggle is the exact opposite of her outgoing older sister but just as cherished.

And of course I could not forget my beautiful wife who stuck with me even while dealing with her own demons all alone as I wallowed in my private hell.

Is life perfect? Nobody ever said it would be a bowl of cherries.

Are there people worse off than me? Undoubtably!

However, when I take the time to count my blessings when times seem hardest, I always seem to end up on the better end of the stick.

Stay Safe.
              Thanks for sharing. Man, I can't imagine. I have a little girl that will be 3 in October and NOTHING OR NO ONE means more to me than her. I don't quite know what to say.

I'm glad everyone made it through that ordeal.
              Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

First Big Bulldog, that is terrible to hear about what your daughter and your whole family went through. It is great to hear that she is doing well though. I truly believe God gave you all the strength to fight through that.

I was a typical teenager during high school and I didn't really start to see what was important in life until my dad developed lung and brain cancer. From there, I realized that life isn't about what you can buy. From then on, I've tried to always be mindful of the blessings in my life and thankful for all that I have (actually, as I see it, what God has given me).

Thank you for this thread to keep things in perspective. A quote from a George Strait song that I think is appropriate, "You don't bring nothing with you here and you can't take nothing back. I ain't never seen a hearse with a luggage rack."

Also, for those of you wondering, my father sucessfully beat the last of his cancer in 2000 and he is healthy and still doing great today. That in itself was a huge blessing from God.
                Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Hello everyone..........

I agree with all of you, Bulldog.... Godbless you and your family. I am sorry to hear the hardships you have been through. It really does put everything in perspective. I had something hit close to home too. My bestfriends son passed away of cancer on christmas three years ago . He only had six months notice. The real shocker is that he didnt get to see his 8th birthday. To this day I dont know how he does it? I would go loopy, seriously. That was a shocker. But like the original subject of the thread, everything is in perspective. I have been waiting years for a response from my local PDs. But no calls. Guys....... Be Safe

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6317 users online. 363 members and 5954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X