Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expandable Batons or Side Handle Batons?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expandable Batons or Side Handle Batons?

Do you carry a expandable baton or side handle baton and why? Just curious. I think that the expandable would be better because they are so compact but I'm not an LEO and was just curious what type is perferred and why. Thanks.

Neither, I carry a set of OPNs.

I never carried a PR-24 but the general consensus concerning the switch to expandable seems to be the convenience. A majority of Officer's were leaving the PR-24 in the patrol car instead of on their belt. The expandable was easier to carry with you, you never had to remember to grab it from your door when exiting the patrol car. I have heard the PR-24 was a much better control tool when properly trained, but like I said, I have never used one.

Comment

expandables are good only because they are compact, but they are only a temporary fix to a sticky situation. you cant do much with them, plus ive heard stories and seen videos where the expandable is not that effective, its too light and bends or breaks, but it is better than nothing. a pr24 or fixed straight baton is much better, but like was said above, these two are awkward to carry on the belt. if i knew i was going to a situation where i might need it, i would grab my straight baton. PLUS- back in 2001 the company ASP, or *** as i call it, screwed an officer over during an excessive force trial. they were subpoena because they are the makers, and blablbalbhbo, anyway, they said that the officer did not properly strike the "victim", i think this was in florida, but im not sure, anyway, with that in mind, i wont put an ASP on my belt.

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
        I went through the academy with the PR-24 and carried it for about seven years. I then went with the ASP for comfort and ease until I had the opportunity to use twice in the spane of two months in two of the most physical on-duty fights I have ever experienced. The ASP had no effect on either suspect. Both suspects were high on Meth and pain compliance was not working. I have used both and the PR-24 has better stopping and knock down power. I scrapped the ASP and have gone back to my PR-24. Just a side note my dept. did not have the taser at the time of these altercations. We have them now and have worked causing minimal injury to suspects.
        havent you read the papers, 80% meth in their blood does not matter,,,shame on you (sarcasim)

Comment

I have been hit by each. Get a expandable, it cuts a narrower path. The side handle cuts a swath like the Grim Reaper. You will have more back up standing when you are through.
          "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Well the Air Force mandates the ASP there is talk of us going to the taser but that hasn't been fully approved yet. Both types of baton have their pro's and con's hell I wouldn't mind a PR-24, but I am limited in what I can carry. My ASP has been handy as when I have opened it the party's have stopped what they were doing because that 26in stick came out of no where. The PR-24 would be nice for the arm bars and such, but I gotta go with what I'm allowed.
            Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

I carry an ASP because that is what my department mandates. Why not have it both ways? When I was in the Army my unit field tested the expandable PR-24 from Monadnock with great success.
              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Yes!

this picture F'in rocks! HAHA
                "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid

this picture F'in rocks! HAHA
                  its a good one, but it s a law suit waiting to happen.

Comment

Who here has been the victim of a criminl assault from a side kick?
                    "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

I regularly use my ASP to scratch that area of my back that I can't reach due to my vest. It's also been deployed to lock the passenger side door when I've already got my seatbelt on and don't want to lean over.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                        its a good one, but it s a law suit waiting to happen.
                        Explain please...

We can be sued for everything we do. If we all had your attitude no one would be able to enforce the law. We would all just sit around to scared to do anything because, god forbid, we might be named in a lawsuit.

As in the case of OPNs, they are used as a control tool, not just a stick to whack people with. If you were to look at the training that goes with OPNs and Expandable Batons, you would see that you are probably more open to a law suit with the baton. OPNs are not used the way they are portrayed in Kung Fu movies. Remember the real world is quite different then the movies...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkwulfe
                          Explain please...

We can be sued for everything we do. If we all had your attitude no one would be able to enforce the law. We would all just sit around to scared to do anything because, god forbid, we might be named in a lawsuit.

As in the case of OPNs, they are used as a control tool, not just a stick to whack people with. If you were to look at the training that goes with OPNs and Expandable Batons, you would see that you are probably more open to a law suit with the baton. OPNs are not used the way they are portrayed in Kung Fu movies. Remember the real world is quite different then the movies...
                          easy there junior, dont get your tail in a knot, that was meant as a joke,,look at the pic. two white officers, two black suspects, so , i know how batons are used,,been in the uniform,,it aint like csi out there.

Comment

i carry an ASP on my belt and by our dept. policy, i carry the PR-24 in my patrol car. i haven't had to hit anyone with either one. i did however have an a**hole suspect who was telling me he was going to fight. well the ASP came out and extended and he backed down.
                            the noise is very effectve, kind of like racking a round in the shotgun...

Comment

Hmmmm the ASP baton....

I've used it to poke an animal to make sure it was dead.
                              I've used it to knock on doors.
                              I've used it with my ASP mirror on the end to search the attic.
                              I've used it as a hammer once.
                              I've used it as a pointer on a classroom board.
                              I've used it to knock mud off my boots.

Geez, I haven't used it for what it was made for.

RCMP

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4090 users online. 239 members and 3851 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X