Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impartial Policing (Not the best subject) Was this this guy a bit out of line?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impartial Policing (Not the best subject) Was this this guy a bit out of line?

A couple months ago one night I was being followed by a couple of RCMP officers outside of Tim Hortons as we were all leaving. One of them was my cousin-in-law (CIL), the other guy was some guy that I have no clue who he was. They're highway patrol so I figured they'd just leave me alone and go back onto the highway.

I was going 90 in a 90 zone and my CIL was behind me tailgating me really bad and I accidently sped up to 92. I looked in my rear-view mirror and up went his arm and on went his lights. He walked up to my car and told me to get moving. I did just that. I thought that they went straight onto the highway and were no longer behind me. (I have tinted windows so I can't really see vehicle details out the back of my car when it's dark.)

Anyways I started driving like a moron (124 in a 90 zone tailgating and cutting people off, but I was signaling and traffic wasn't very heavy.)

Next thing I know I got police lights on behind me. The first thing that came into my mind was that it was the city police because I assumed the RCMP went to patrol the highway. Turned out it was the RCMP and I was quite relieved (the city police really like to search my car even though they never find anything.).

I role down my window and the first thing I hear is "Guess what! I'm not ____! I don't care that he's your CIL either. That means nothing to me. ____ may have let you off with a warning, but I don't care. Now look at the awkward position you put me into. What about poor _____? [...] Now he's going to have to give you a hard time about this."

Please keep in mind that at this point I hadn't even said anything to him. This is actually the very shortened version of his 10 minute lecture. I did tell him that he could write me a ticket if he wanted to. I ended up getting a warning (I kinda knew I would too after I saw him in his cruiser on his cell phone laughing his *** off while checking my information.)

Anyways, to get to the point, I found the first half of his lecture to be rather offensive and it really ****ed me off. I never even mentioned my CIL. The only way for him to have known that I was his CIL is that my CIL would have had to have mentioned me to him in Tim Hortons one of the nights I was there.

I'd never use my CIL's name to get me out of a ticket even though my mom tells me to all the time. And what I don't understand is how was that an awkward position if he didn't care that I was my CIL's CIL? I actually had a copy of the RMSIG with me that I was getting tempted to take out and point out to him that one of the things that it measures is Honesty and Integrity and it even states "Is able to apply the rules and procedures impartially regardless of who is involved." Thus meaning it's not my problem if he finds pulling me over awkward because of who I am. Of course though, I'm a respectful person so I'd never do that.

Don't get me wrong, I found his lecture to be very effective (who'd of thought that at $759 in speeding tickets that all it would take to get me to stop was a 10 minute lecture?) and I now do everything in my power to avoid speeding, but I just feel he was a little bit out of line with the whole impartial yet partial policing topic considering I never mentioned my CIL once and I didn't even know that it was the RCMP behind me. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Spee-Dee; 09-13-2005, 07:04 PM. Reason: To add paragraphs

I'm sorry, I fell asleep half way through that post. What where you saying again?

Consult your physician to see if the 'Pism is right for you. Symptoms may include euphoria, smugness, moistness, and increased sarcasm levels. Discontinue use if you experience nausea, vomiting, or a condition lasting longer than 4 hours. Your mileage may vary, first time buyers are welcome, and wait at least 30 minutes before swimming. See our ad in this month's Cosmo, net weight before cooking.

Comment

Perhaps a few paragraphs would help.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
        Perhaps a few paragraphs would help.
        thats what is was thinking, but my eyes were crossed so i couldnt type

Comment

"who'd of thought that at $759 in speeding tickets that all it would take to get me to stop was a 10 minute lecture?"

$759 in tickets, you got a lecture instead of another ticket, and you're upset?

Do you still have a valid license?
          "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

Comment

WTF was all that about?

(Sounds like my wife when she gets on a rant.)

Have a nice day, y'all.
            "Yes sir, I know you have rights."
            "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
              (who'd of thought that at $759 in speeding tickets that all it would take to get me to stop was a 10 minute lecture?)
              $759 Canadian? What is that...around $14 US?

Also, I agree with the above responses...paragraphs would help and also in English maybe.

From what I gathered from your story...you drove 124 in a 90. Uhhh, that's too fast. Duh. You did something WRONG and you got a WARNING. Get over it. I'd rather have a ten minute lecture than a speeding ticket ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
              Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
              Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

P.S. All...

I did the conversion...

This is the equivalent of driving 77 MPH in a 55 MPH zone!!

You were also "tailgating and cutting people off." That's reckless driving, genius.

Comment

is it really only 14 bucks,,if so im buying a vette and moving north.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                    is it really only 14 bucks,,if so im buying a vette and moving north.
                    It's actually $624 US.

Comment

dang,,there goes my need for speed, but i was thinking that i would much rather have a butt chewin than a ticket,, i might even let em sick the kp on me,,,i agree he got off way to easy.

Comment

Yes, I still have a valid licence. Tickets are expensive here and they have gone up again since the last one I got. They used to start at $100 and then $1 for every KM over the limit and after 50 km over the limit each km was $2. Now they start at $140 and they're $2 for every km over the speed and $4 for every km after 50 km.

The guy I was tailgating was going 60 km in a 90 km zone and I had to cut the other lady off in order to pass him. There were something like 5 cars on the road at the time nicely spread out.

I'm not mad that I got pulled over. I'm actually glad I got pulled over. I needed to be reminded that there's police out there. It happened 2 days after I mentioned to my CIL that I was due for another speeding ticket because I have somewhat of a pattern building. Now since that I got pulled over I have broken the pattern and was given a reason not to speed. After he pulled away and I started driving home I started crying because I realized just what the consequences could be for my family members. (Sorry, I getting a bit lame here.) I'm offended that he would actually assume that I think that I can get away with speeding because of my CIL especially considering he was the one who brought him up and not me. I was shocked that he even knew who I was.

Comment

I was gonna say how you mentioned that your Mom tells you to use your CIL's name "all the time"-why would she tell you that unless you are constantly about to/or are getting into trouble???

Comment

Originally posted by lt93lover
                            I was gonna say how you mentioned that your Mom tells you to use your CIL's name "all the time"-why would she tell you that unless you are constantly about to/or are getting into trouble???
                            Whenever I get pulled over for something by the RCMP or someone who knows my CIL. The majority of my pull-overs happen from the city police and not the RCMP. The city police do pull me over for stupid things (ie: Suspicious driving at 2:00 am because I waited to make sure no one was running the red light before I went into the intersection. Because the cop was stopped beside me I was trying to hide something. That got me a car search. I pulled off into a parking lot one night to talk on my cell phone and a police officer started harassing me for loitering in a parking lot. I was accused of following a police officer to a call in my neighbourhood on my way home from work one night.) but nothing results of it. I don't really have the option of using my CIL's name "all the time," maybe once or twice.

With the exception of getting pulled over that time I only had the option of using his name once. I got pulled over by his friend who's a Highway Transportation Officer who was leading a roadside vehicle safety inspection. My car itself was not very unsafe to drive, but they needed to find something so they could fill their quota of vehicles. What they found was a missing piece of plastic that "eventually over time would cause my vehicle to become unsafe." It ended up costing my dad $400 to get fixed. My mom told me that I should have used my CIL's name to his friend to get away without having to get it fixed.

I know this may be hard for people to believe, but I DO NOT want to be known as the person who thinks she can get herself out of tickets because her CIL is a Mountie. I don't think that at all. If he wants to give me a ticket that's fine, I probably deserve it then, especially considering he's doesn't like giving out a lot of tickets. The only thing I expect from him is that he spells my name correctly on the ticket. I think that's a reasonable expectation. It's pretty sad when you can't spell your own relatives' names correctly. (I have yet to have a speedind ticket with my name spelled correctly on it. I really don't understand what's so difficult about accurately copying a name off of a licence. I won't even get into what Christmas cards are like.)

Comment

Sounds like BS to me. And who gives a s..t?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4137 users online. 257 members and 3880 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X