X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim Dees
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Airsofter
    quick question. what are the laws for disobeying a police officer who is arresting you. I don't mean that you tell him no. but you tell the officer they can arrest you but you are "dead weight" meaning they will need to carry you. In every other aspect you don't resist event the slightest. I guess i am asking if you are protesting in a non violent fashion by calling "dead weight" can you be maced?
    I don't know the law specific to Ohio, but if you resist or obstruct an officer in the performance of his duty IN ANY WAY, including passive resistance, you can be charged with a criminal offense. The title of the offense varies with the jurisdiction.

In the case of passive resistance, yes, one option available to an officer would be to use pepper spray. Another would be to use a pain compliance hold. These are commonly used in sit-in type situations, like when people block the entrances to abortion clinics. There was a link to a video posted here recently, where a protester sustained a broken arm when an officer used a nunchaku device to trap his arm and get his compliance. The ensuing discussion centered around whether this was excessive force. One issue that some folks forgot is that the protester could have made the force/pain stop at any moment by simply getting up and walking with the officer.

If you want to challenge the validity of a charge or the authority of an officer, do it in court. On the street, mounting this sort of challenge creates a situation that can only make things much worse for you and the officer both. The words "polite and cooperative" on a citation or in an arrest report have never hurt anyone in court.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

• Lucky Seven
      Huhhh??
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Delta784
      They don't sell donuts. What does that have to do with anything?

Please don't tell me that you're one of those lame-asses that thinks a cop/donut joke is still funny, after 20+ years. Get some new material.

I don't think StraightUp is lame. He has provided alot of good input here and appears to be very LE supportive.

On the other hand, I am sick of hearing cop / donut jokes.

Delta, after almost 27 years I still hear the stupid cop/donut jokes so don't think they are going to go away.

PS

StraightUP,
      It's MONO County, not Mona.
      Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

• backinblue
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2005

This officer thought a crime was commited he had every right to investigate what happened. You can't take the suspects word for it right? The girl in the tape deserved to be pepper sprayed and I'm glad she was. This officer did nothing wrong other than eating at a fast food joint. Most likely the girl will be arrested later on for something else

Comment

• Woodles
          Banned
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by backinblue
          This officer thought a crime was commited he had every right to investigate what happened. You can't take the suspects word for it right? The girl in the tape deserved to be pepper sprayed and I'm glad she was. This officer did nothing wrong other than eating at a fast food joint. Most likely the girl will be arrested later on for something else
          Because mistakes never happen and we all know that police officers are always perfect and infallible ...

Maybe she did get a little rowdy and obnoxious, and the concept of "resisting arrest" never occured to her, but I'm going to say that the cop over reacted.

Comment

• Airsofter
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2005

Thanks for the info. I'll remember never to protest that way. Might be painful it sounds. It does concern me that it may take away my right well, somewhat to protest. but i can't argue that. It's the law. What i would like to know is if there is anyway i can protest without making the cops life harder at the scene itself? Do i make a statement to the cop or what?

Comment

• AkhilleusWeeps
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Centurion44
              Personally, I think the cop overreacted. If that cop hasn't seen Super Troopers yet, he needs to. "And uh... gimmie a liter cola!" He should be given a nametag that says "Farva".

That being all said, criminally speaking the cop did nothing wrong. He believed a crime had occured and believed he had enough probable cause to affect an arrest. When attempting to place the offender under arrest, she resisted. What she doesn't know is if she had co-operated with the officer, the situation would probably have turned out a lot worse for the poe-leese.

Anyone else laugh when she said "I don't like police anyway, they took my brother to prison"? I was shocked to hear that she had a close relative in jail. She seemed so edcuated and well-raised.

I literally moved the cursor back to that part like 4 times, I couldn't believe that came out of her mouth, I bet her brother "did'it doo nuffin."

Comment

• Pedro56
                The Fuzz
                • Apr 2005

He may have have went a little over the edge, but...that is how one looses control, let these "ghetto" punks talk to you like you are some piece of $hit, screw that, unfrotunately as time goes on and people get more liberal and soft so do the police. Now the scumbag really has nothing to fear of the police because he sees a gentler police officer that tries to reason with why a person would be acting the way he is, "I understand your frustration sir, but..." screw that. I bet the next time some police officer says you are going to jail to that girl she is going to go.
                "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

• broke
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2005

I had a feeling it was gonna escalate just by the way she was talking before the officer walked in.

I'm not a policeman but a reporter.

Looking at that situation both were pretty much over-reacting.

Comments about her getting, not-getting an education? What does that have to do with this?

People talk the way they want. We talk "pidgin" in Hawaii...does that make us idiots? Come here and tell some of the locals that.

Comment

• Spee-Dee
                    No Longer Active
                    • Aug 2005

Can someone give me a the "textbook answer" to what a crime actually is? I see people mentioning that the officer believed that a crime took place and therefore his actions were justified. To me, I see an error that took place and an over-reacting customer who just happens to be a police officer.

Comment

• Pedro56
                      The Fuzz
                      • Apr 2005

How about this scenario, who is this to say this is the first time this piece of work has done this? No one ever thought about that huh? That could have been the third time that officer got ripped by the same cashier.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

• Spee-Dee
                        No Longer Active
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Pedro56
                        How about this scenario, who is this to say this is the first time this piece of work has done this? No one ever thought about that huh? That could have been the third time that officer got ripped by the same cashier.
                        Do you have any actual evidence to back up this speculation? I can only go by what I see in the video. What I see in the video is the girl is handed a bill and she places it in the till. The manager checked to see if there were any 20s in her till and he reported negative on those.

Comment

• Pedro56
                          The Fuzz
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
                          Do you have any actual evidence to back up this speculation? I can only go by what I see in the video. What I see in the video is the girl is handed a bill and she places it in the till. The manager checked to see if there were any 20s in her till and he reported negative on those.
                          No I dont have actual proof of that what I am saying is how are we to know if this is the first time this happened? It could have happened numerous times. She could have pocketed the 20 he never actually counted her drawer to see if it was even now did he?

Second City Cop

Comment

• Spee-Dee
                            No Longer Active
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Pedro56
                            No I dont have actual proof of that what I am saying is how are we to know if this is the first time this happened? It could have happened numerous times. She could have pocketed the 20 he never actually counted her drawer to see if it was even now did he?
                            I will agree that counting the till would have (probably) settled it right then and there, but what I see in the video is the girl placing the bill in the till. If it was indeed a twenty, the manager would have seen it. The manager reported that there were no twenties in the till.

Comment

• KNTYKOP50
                              Forum Member
                              • Sep 2005

[b][i]wow That Video Was Something Else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21120 users online. 32 members and 21088 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...