300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers? How about old people?

Ok, so we have a men & women driver thread. How about old people? I think some of them need to retake a driving & written test in order to keep their license. I know it sounds bad but some of these old people just can't drive right anymore.
    Yes, after a certain age
    76.19%
    No, leave them alone
    9.52%
    Depends on their driving history/record
    14.29%
    That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

I will respond by saying,it depends on the location and the stastics of traffic accidents involving elder drivers!My father is 73 and has never had a accident,last speeding ticket was 1967!

Comment

Originally posted by Java King
      I think some of them need to retake a driving & written test in order to keep their license. old people just can't drive right anymore.
      The average person of any age don't even know how to merg. why pick on the old. I say if you can get it up....get it on. leave them alone just give them a break, thier not as young as they used to be.
      Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sure do wish they could make the turn without stopping, though.
        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Up
          The average person of any age don't even know how to merg. why pick on the old. I say if you can get it up....get it on. leave them alone just give them a break, thier not as young as they used to be.
          the average person cant even park their car properly (park brake on, car in gear), this question is kinda like a bi sexual, it can go both ways, , the older folks tend to drive slower, which tends to **** off the younger folks, then everyone has a "come to Jesus" meeting, when the police man shows up to work the accident.
          as far as making people retest for their license, i think it is a good idea for everyone. 1- traffic laws are always changing and not everyone is aware of them, 2- it would bring attention to the fact that most people get complaicent after several years, and dont drive for crap. talk about humbling to be around 40 yrs old, and you cant pass your driving test cause you are a bone head.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Up
            I'm not picking on anyone. I'm just trying to get different views on this subject. Most people I talk to agree that after a certain age a retest of written & practical would be a good idea. On the plus side, older people have been driving for years & know the laws & driving techniques pretty good. On the minus side, some of them have the normal 'break downs' old people are prone to like mind, hearing, & eye problems, etc. Some do, some don't. My grandpa used to drive race cars & would drive a car up anyones ***! I just think that after a certain age, a retest would be a good idea. If they pass, great, keep driving. If they don't, then it's time to hang up the keys.
            That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

My grandfather had a perfect driving record until he was 76 and he hit a deer in broad daylight.

After getting his car back, he nearly ran over some folks after leaving church. He never got his license back after that.

My grandmother had a few moving violations but nothing too bad. She had a syncopal episode behind the wheel when driving and nailed a parked van.

So yeah, I think after a certain age, health plays a factor into driving ability.

Comment

Absolutely, re-test after a certain age. I agree that health issues play a role in whether an older driver is capable of safely operating a car....vision problems, medication side effects, neurological problems, etc., can have a major impact on reaction time and all other aspects of driving. Nothing against senior citizens, there are many that are perfectly capable of driving, but it is a fact that the body changes as it ages....some more so than others.
                All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.

Comment

I wont comment..have enough problems with my father..

Comment

We had an older lady in her 70's drive by and hit a parked car. we went out to make sure she was ok, she had glasses as thick as coke bottles and could hardly walk. I don't like to pick on any age group either but somethings got to give. Yound kids here loose their license after a violation and are eligable to get it back after a certain perior of time, I think the same might be good for seniors. It's a fact that after a certain point reaction times and motor skills start to go downhill. Like other people have said though....there are lots a crappy drivers out there...of all ages
                    si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

It might be that I'm too close to this..... but from what I've seen, the biggest problem I see on the roads is people driving to the best of thier abilities iregaurdless of the ability of the drivers around them.

That and just in too big of a hurry.
                      Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4781 users online. 321 members and 4460 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X