Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My buddy's first day as a sworn officer.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My buddy's first day as a sworn officer.

My best friend from the academy just got hired and sworn in on Monday. When his badge was pinned on, it had a black band on it. His first detail as a sworn officer was to put on his alphas and represent his department at San Leandro Police Officer Niemi's funeral.

I asked him if it made him think twice about his career choice, and he said, "No, it only reminds me that I made the right choice. Seeing all those other officers show their support, I know I'm doing the right thing."
    *Not a cop*

I have never seen support that rivals that of a fallen officer. Never.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Talk about an introduction to the force. Not to get off topic but have they found the bastard who killed the cop yet?

Comment

Yeah, they caught him. Last Tuesday, I believe.
        *Not a cop*

Comment

LE Funerals and Moral Support

I was in Santa Maria, CA in 1987 when two CHP Officers died when their car went off the end of a washed-out road (bad storms). LE's from EVERYWHERE across the country of ours showed up in full dress for the funeral. I didn't know them, never even met them, but it still hit me hard (I had a few friends with CHP).

When I mentioned the hundreds of officers that showed up, burning their own vacation time and dime to be there, my better half asked why. All I could say was that if she had to ask why, she wouldn't understand.

With the short time I was with BOP, and the short auxiliary time I spent with a SE Georgia agency, the brotherhood in blue never fails to amaze me. I see too much infighting and belly-aching, but when the $hit hits the fan, or one is in need, the wagons are circled, immediately. Can't imagine a better field to work in, even with the problems/issues that exist.

Just MHO,

Ken
          Last edited by KC2GYV; 08-02-2005, 06:01 PM. Reason: Never learned how to type
          Ken
          I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Comment

One of the main reasons I love being a cop is the brotherhood.As far as the support from LEOs nationwide right now I think the military might have us beat on that one.
            G-D bless all who serve. Everywhere...
            I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
              I have never seen support that rivals that of a fallen officer. Never.
              The same couldn't me more true with that of a Soilder/Sailor/Marine/Airmen/Gaurdian.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetter2
                The same couldn't me more true with that of a Soilder/Sailor/Marine/Airmen/Gaurdian.

You're right, I didn't mean specifically a police officer. I meant military as well.
                A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I think there is more to it. One thing I noticed right off the bat when hired on at my department, almost everyone was ex-military like me. And most of them are Marines like me. It truly is a brotherhood. We have worn the same uniform, sacrificed ourselves, and understood our purpose from the start. We all have a common fundamental trait within ourselves.

There are even some in my department who have been in combat together, came home together, and got hired and work with each other to this day.

Comment

Am not ex-military, so don't have anything to compare my honor guard experience to, but I can tell you it is an honor to represent my agency at funerals. Last one was for an officer where they had "Last Call" over the radio. Got to tell you, hardest time I've ever had staying composed. Y'all stay safe out there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2980 users online. 203 members and 2777 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X