300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is a constible?

What is the difference between a deputy, constible etc? Over in Indiana the small towns have Town Marshalls are these about the same?
    Last edited by xray25; 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM.

mainly it depends on your states statute in regards to their official
    duties....if that person is listed as a town marshal, kinda obvious he
    just a police officer with a different name who met the state standards
    to be a l.e.o.

from what i seen in the forumn

deputy sheriff
    deputy jailer ( ky )
    constables , deputy constables
    tombstone , arizona ( city marshals )

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

In VT a constable is a town elected official. In some towns the constable is the only LEO, and in other towns the constable is a paper server and dog warden, depending on whether the town has voted to take the police powers away.

Comment

Indiana Town Marshalls

Originally posted by xray25
        What is the difference between a deputy, constible etc? Over in Indiana the small towns have Town Marshalls are these about the same?
        In Indiana, a Town Marshall is a fully empowered law enforcement officer. A community has to be a certain size to be considered a city. A community that falls short of the is a "town" The town board appoints a person to be the LEO. It is generally part-time position but not always. Town marshalls are not required to attened the full police academy but most do.

Comment

No Requirement For Police Training Dam That Sounds Like A Lawsuite .
          STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

Originally posted by pateshane
            No Requirement For Police Training Dam That Sounds Like A Lawsuite .
            There is a marshall's academy which is sort of an shortened version of the regular academy. It isn't as if they operate with no training-most do attened the actual police academy

Comment

Florida has constables and they are required to attend the same academy if they work in an LE capacity (there are 2 towns which I know of that have constables). Some towns use them in a code enforcement capcity.

In Pa. constables work for the district magistrate court and go after warrants for folks who miss traffic court or cases heard by the district justice. They are elected and appoint deputy constables. They make money off of serving the warrants. Philadelphia is the only county which does not have constables but rather relies on non commissioned court officers. Constables attend training set up through the PA crime commission.

In Delaware, constables are licensed by the Delaware State police I believe.. They work for hospitals and colleges and have limited arrest authority. In some of the other parts of Delaware, county constables preform bill collector services.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Never heard of, or read about in statute book, FL constabable. Do you have any more info ref FL Constable?
                press hard-5 copies

Comment

In many parts of Canada, Constable (Cst.) is the title given to a police officer as opposed to simply Officer.

Comment

843.085 Unlawful use of police badges or other indicia of authority.--It is unlawful for any person:

(1) Unless appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354, authorized by the appropriate agency, or displayed in a closed or mounted case as a collection or exhibit, to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority, including any badge, insignia, emblem, identification card, or uniform, or any colorable imitation thereof, of any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency, or other criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it, or which displays in any manner or combination the word or words "police," "patrolman," "agent," "sheriff," "deputy," "trooper," "highway patrol," "Wildlife Officer," "Marine Patrol Officer," "state attorney," "public defender," "marshal," "constable," or "bailiff," which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it.

(2) To own or operate a motor vehicle marked or identified in any manner or combination by the word or words "police," "patrolman," "sheriff," "deputy," "trooper," "highway patrol," "Wildlife Officer," "Marine Patrol Officer," "marshal," "constable," or "bailiff," or by any lettering, marking, or insignia, or colorable imitation thereof, including, but not limited to, stars, badges, or shields, officially used to identify the vehicle as a federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement vehicle or a vehicle used by a criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such vehicle is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person operating the motor vehicle, unless such vehicle is owned or operated by the appropriate agency and its use is authorized by such agency, or the local law enforcement agency authorizes the use of such vehicle or unless the person is appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354.

(3) To sell, transfer, or give away the authorized badge, or colorable imitation thereof, including miniatures, of any criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, or bearing in any manner or combination the word or words "police," "patrolman," "sheriff," "deputy," "trooper," "highway patrol," "Wildlife Officer," "Marine Patrol Officer," "marshal," "constable," "agent," "state attorney," "public defender," or "bailiff," which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above, except for agency purchases or upon the presentation and recordation of both a driver's license and other identification showing any transferee to actually be a member of such criminal justice agency or unless the person is appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354. A transferor of an item covered by this subsection is required to maintain for 2 years a written record of such transaction, including records showing compliance with this subsection, and if such transferor is a business, it shall make such records available during normal business hours for inspection by any law enforcement agency having jurisdiction in the area where the business is located.

(4) Nothing in this section shall prohibit a fraternal, benevolent, or labor organization or association, or their chapters or subsidiaries, from using the following words, in any manner or in any combination, if those words appear in the official name of the organization or association: "police," "patrolman," "sheriff," "deputy," "trooper," "highway patrol," "Wildlife Officer," "Marine Patrol Officer," "marshal," "constable," or "bailiff."

(5) Violation of any provision of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section is cumulative to any law now in force in the state.

History.--s. 1, ch. 91-163; s. 2, ch. 94-103.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Ive read the statute before and it doesnt explain what a constable is or what part it plays in the FL govt. We dont have marine patrol officers either (we have FWC officer and DEP officers) but you are still prohibited from having that title on a badge, etc. I am asking, in reality, what is a constable (as it applies to FL law) and where can I find one.
                      press hard-5 copies

Comment

In Texas, Constables are elected county officials. They serve at the precinct level. The offices vary in size from one man, the elected official, to an agency filled with deputy constables. (Harris County comes to mind as having large constable offices.)

They have civil authority to perform evictions, and civil seizures of property. They also serve variouse papers. They are peace officers, but generally have a different focus as the enforcment arm of the justice of the peace court of that county precinct.

In Harris County - Houston - the deputy constables work traffic and perform many "normal" law enforcement functions. Typically on the toll roads and beltway it is the constables that will be working taffic.

The constable is the oldest form of law enforcement in the United States, from the British Constable or Constabulary, dating back in Britan from about 1670.
                        Last edited by Runnin' 87; 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM.
                        "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

In Utah a Constable is hired by a juridiction to attend to the Justice courts, unless they want to pay the Sheriff's Office to do it. They serve civil process, warrants, etc. They are like independant contracters andmust have thier own business license, etc. They are POST certified, but only Cat. II (no off-duty powers and limited arrest power) is required I think.
                          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Constable

If my memory serves me correctly, Florida did away with the office of Constable in the early 1970's. It was through a constitutional ammendment that also did away with Justices of the Peace, as well as municipal courts. Prior to that time Constables and Justices of the Peace were elected, and served specific areas of a given county.These were called JP Districts. A Trooper or Sheriff's Deputy had the option of citing cases into the JP Court, or the County Court. The Justice of the Peace was generally a partime position. The jurisdiction of the Constable was limited to the JP District to which he/she was elected. Depending upon the size of the district, the Constable could appoint Deputy Constables. Constables/Deputies provided their own vehicles.radios, light bars etc. Radio service was generally handled by the Sheriff's Dept of the county in which the JP District was located. Constables/JPs had generally aquired a pretty poor reputation by the early 1970s,and people were generally very happy to vote the office out of existance. Some of you Florida Troopers or Deputies, active or retired, help me out here,and correct me if I'm wrong. Essentially, the office of Constable no longer exists in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by scottd
                              In many parts of Canada, Constable (Cst.) is the title given to a police officer as opposed to simply Officer.
                              It is more correct to say that Constable is a rank within most Canadian Police Services, like Corporal, Sargeant, Staff Sargeant, Staff Sargeant Major, Sargeant Major, Corps Sargeant Major, Inspector, Superintendant, Chief Superintendant, Assistant Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner. These are the ranks for the RCMP - other Canadian Police Services have slightly different rank structure.
                              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3168 users online. 212 members and 2956 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X