Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Different cities, totally different tactics raising children...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, entitlement.

It's a bitch ain't it?

Comment

Originally posted by NCHawk56
      Dear Java King:

I'm sorry we did not communicate well there. I was trying to draw attention to the lack of empathy demenstated when someone wrote: That's job security. Throughout this nation what it means to be a police officer varies considerably I'm sure, but the public needs officers to care.

On this website, I don't know if this site is representative of officers in general, it seems that most officers are apathetic to the problems of the people they serve. Even in the officers I know personelly I see the same thing. This is incredibly sad. If a docter was callous with his/her patients he/she would be a terrible physician and you would find another doctor; doctors see the same patients with annoying problems all the time. Something is needed to bring back the care in officers. I don't know what it is, but there are enough ideas out there, we need to start trying.

I hope this clarifies things. I understand that fires are started by a variety of situations, and I was not blaming children dispreportionally, but a large amount of fire department education is directed at youth, that is an area that firefighters are constantly working to improve.

Respect
      Integrity
      Courage
      Honor
      Empathy

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56
      I am just curious if you are a police officer or not, your details don't say... If you are not a police officer, this is going to be difficult to explain. We are an empathic bunch - most of the time. Comments like "job security" is half joke/half sad realitiy.

The only people ever asked to be empathetic are the front line police officers. And who is empathetic towards them? The public? No. Is management, the Cpls and Sgts (road supervisors), maybe, the policy makers and upper management? Nope.. We are told to do our jobs with, crappy equipment, cumputers that are a decade old, cars that need to be retired, and short staff, and all we can do is "suck it up" and keep moving forward.

Most of come here to vent to like minded people and to learn from other peoples experiences. I really don't think this is a place to look for compassion and empathy, because that is already there inside of us and kept close to our chests. Just about all of us get into this job because we want to make a difference. Once inside of the job more effort is spent on just surviving it.

The sad thing here is the failing to see beyond exterior of the members posting here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken K
        Let's see, cooking fires are caused by careless adults leaving the area. Glad to see you understand fire cause because that was my point.

I've had dozens of fires caused by kids in my career. But I guess all the years I did nothing but fire investigations doesn't mean I saw anything.

Thanks JACK.
        Now stop stomping around like a little kid. I never said you didn't see anything in your career nor did I say kids don't start fires. You really are involved in the fire service,I won't deny that, I can tell.

I work with a guy who is on the arson task force which includes handling juvenile firesetters. We discuss fire cause & orgin often. It is a small percentage of the overall cause of fires that are started by children. The majority are started by careless adults. But, what the hell do we know.
        That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by Java King
          Now stop stomping around like a little kid. I never said you didn't see anything in your career nor did I say kids don't start fires. You really are involved in the fire service,I won't deny that, I can tell.

I work with a guy who is on the arson task force which includes handling juvenile firesetters. We discuss fire cause & orgin often. It is a small percentage of the overall cause of fires that are started by children. The majority are started by careless adults. But, what the hell do we know.
          You know plenty. But maybe it's just your corner of the world. We really do not have much of an argument, excuse me, discussion here!

It's the roll the eyes thing that bothers me though. I guess that's funny. And by the way, it's crap but you get shot at if you don't refer to it as origin and cause. I've been around long enough to see people take issue with non-professional versus professional. Now we say volunteer and career firefighters! Let's be PC here at least.

Comment

I don't blame officers for there apathy, it's something that I believe penetrates the entire chain of command usually, and I've never been around a department where this us/them mentality wasn't prevolent. It's sad. You might even stay it's a problem for the entire profession, and that it's passed from each generation to the next. FTO's telling rookies who are too concerned: Don't care so much, we'll see them tommorrow for the same problem anyway. I was simply suggesting that the change, to a more concerned police force, might come not from management, because they are often very set in their ways, but from the field officers.

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56

Comment

I was trying to draw attention to the lack of empathy demenstated when someone wrote: That's job security. Throughout this nation what it means to be a police officer varies considerably I'm sure, but the public needs officers to care.
              Let me address this since the "job security" comment was mine. (Wow, I didn't know that'd start such a debate )

I'm not sure what your profession is.... but let me take a moment to tell you a tiny bit about myself and my profession.

I don't think you realize exactly how much I DO care about the people I serve. You cannot possibly understand how much I do care. But the defense mechanism of a great many officers is to say things like that. It's something we (at least I) have to do to get through some calls and some days.

When I typed that yesterday it was after having spent the afternoon in the ER. I was on a child abuse call where an 8 year old boy was taken to the ER by his grandmother. This was after his parents used him as the rope in a tug-o-war game. He was being evaluated for a broken arm and had bruises on both arms and a foot. I went straight from there to another child abuse call.

You cannot possibly understand the extent to which I (and EVERY other officer) DO care about that.

And.... yes, that call like many other calls I have was job security. There was an extensive history of abuse with that family. The child will be returned to his parents and they will abuse him again. I (or another officer) will see him again as a victim. And it is a very sad fact, but odds are overwhelming that we will also see him as a suspect.

The situation posted originally in this thread is also job security for police. The child who hit his mother to get candy will be seen by officers in the future... if not for the original reason I stated for another.... but rest assured, he will be seen. I believe that part of the reason will be the attitude of permissiveness of his mother.

So.... sad as it is. And I realize how sad it is.... there is way too much job security in my profession. I realize exactly how sad that fact is. I believe every other officer in the world realizes that also. I would love it if there was so little for us to do that I got laid off. Unfortunately.... that will NEVER happen.

If my comment makes me a "terrible officer" as I must assume you think it does based on your analogy to doctors.... then I guess I'm a terrible officer.

And to Contact: I owe you an apology. Thread hijacking is a pet peeve of mine and I caused a hijacking of your thread. I'm sorry!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by padowan
                And to Contact: I owe you an apology. Thread hijacking is a pet peeve of mine and I caused a hijacking of your thread. I'm sorry!!!!

You don't owe me anything, you are 100% right in your Job security remark. The sad fact is that some things are true, whether they hurt other peoples feelings or not, and parents like the two i've talked about are producing children that will ensure I have a job in LE in the future. There is nothing wrong or heartless with saying bad parents produce more bad citizens than good parents. Cops are there to handle the worst of the worst, and if it doesn't effect their demeanor at all, there is something wrong. If you couldn't half-joke about some of the things you guys see, all you officers would certainly be seen more often than not crying in a back alley in your scout car. (Even if you won't admit it, tough guy! )

You don't tell them how to make the fries, don't let them tell you how to be the police.
                A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I don't think you are a terrible officer, that miscommunication is my fault. I was trying to show how sad the situation was, that officers are being stressed to the point of breaking and no solutions are being tried; that all an officer can do is become apathetic and say " that's job security."

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56

Comment

I don't think you are a terrible officer, that miscommunication is my fault. I was trying to show how sad the situation was, that officers are being stressed to the point of breaking and no solutions are being tried; that all an officer can do is become apathetic and say " that's job security."

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56
                    Okay. Again... I don't think you realize how un-apathetic I am and how effected I am sometimes when I go home.

The sad fact is that everything Contact posted and what I posted in my last thread is job security. I am sorry that you interpreted my posting of those two words as apathy. It was a statement of fact. A "tongue-in-cheek" statement of fact, but a statement of fact no less.

You keep mentioning that you'd like to see the police try solutions to problems. If you have any solutions that the police can reasonably impliment to the problems raised so far in this thread (bad parenting and child abuse) while simultaneously handling all the other calls for service and handling being short staffed...... I'd LOVE to hear them. Most days I'm just trying to keep my head above water.

You also have mentioned that the officers you know personally seem to be apathetic. I'd suggest talking to them about their apathy if they're friends and not mere acquaintences. If they're friends they'd be more willing to talk to you about it than I'd imagine acquaintences would be. They might be able to offer some further insight as to why we all say "job security". I don't seem to be doing a very good job....

You have, however, given me something to think about. Thanks.
                    Last edited by padowan; 08-02-2005, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Try this one

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/vi...eo=Use-Condoms

Comment

When I was a kid if I screwed up I'd get the leather razor strap taken to me. I'm still scared of that thing. Some of the biggest crooks I seen were our preachers kids.
                        Last edited by midmichigancop; 08-02-2005, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Not work safe on that second link.
                          A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3439 users online. 221 members and 3218 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X