300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portrayal of police in our society

Why are police/LEO's/authority figures looked upon so negatively by the media, music industry, etc in today's world? Yes, I will admit that there are courrupt cops, racist cops, etc running around but im pretty sure its nothing like how the media and the movies portay it.

I just dont get how so many kids at school can hate LEOs and rules, etc and yet how some kids can. In my school most of my fellow students at least understand why we have police and laws. But we have a vocal minority that hate all law enforcement and rules. Meanwhile if we ever did not have police they would probably be among the 1st to complain about no protection and the like and would probably be the 1st to protect their own turf and property and carry out similar duties of the very people they hate.

Is it because this is how the music artists and the like act? Is it because of negative expirences with LE?

Do you have a police officer at your campus full time. Just curious how he/she is treated and how they interact with the students. Some of the first experience with officers for a juvenile is with the campus police and they may set prejudices towards law enforcement for a long time with some students.
    Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

My Chief

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
      Why are police/LEO's/authority figures looked upon so negatively by the media, music industry, etc in today's world? Yes, I will admit that there are courrupt cops, racist cops, etc running around but im pretty sure its nothing like how the media and the movies portay it.

I just dont get how so many kids at school can hate LEOs and rules, etc and yet how some kids can. In my school most of my fellow students at least understand why we have police and laws. But we have a vocal minority that hate all law enforcement and rules. Meanwhile if we ever did not have police they would probably be among the 1st to complain about no protection and the like and would probably be the 1st to protect their own turf and property and carry out similar duties of the very people they hate.

Is it because this is how the music artists and the like act? Is it because of negative expirences with LE?
      Personally, I think it simply another manifestation of the growing trend away from taking personal responsibility. Rather than looking at yourself when you do something wrong, it
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

never fails, you arrest one for DUI, they say "i cant believe you are doing this to me, you are going to cost me my job",,

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
          never fails, you arrest one for DUI, they say "i cant believe you are doing this to me, you are going to cost me my job",,
          Or the.... "Do you know who I am"? Nope I don't and frankly I don't care! See ya in court...
          ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Authority has been under fire for some time now. Politicians, preachers, priests, attorneys, cops, physicians, teachers, pick any authority figure and the press, entertainment, the political pundits, rejoice in any opportunity to tear the image to pieces. The sad part is so many in that position give them that opportunity to wreck havoc.

One has to wonder why the electronic and print media along with the entertainment gurus are so dead set on portraying authority as such an evil institution. What is their agenda? It is so widespread and pervasive that I find it very hard to believe it is all coincinidental. I guess it could just be a habit that's gotten out of control but I ain't so sure.

I do notice that our sports figures, so called celebrities, and reporters seem to be immune from the hostile eye of the media. Wonder about that I do!!!

Hopefully there will be some change in the wind like the momentary spike we had after 9/11. Short memories we have.

I don't advocate another attack by any stretch of the imagination but something needs to happen to shake us out othis comfort zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch
              Or the.... "Do you know who I am"? Nope I don't and frankly I don't care! See ya in court...
              these types of people **** me off and scare the heck out of me at the same time, they have no accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by kiddiecop
                Do you have a police officer at your campus full time. Just curious how he/she is treated and how they interact with the students. Some of the first experience with officers for a juvenile is with the campus police and they may set prejudices towards law enforcement for a long time with some students.
                No, my local dept. does not have SRO's or any similar title. At least I have never seen or heard of them.

The school district just employs a handful of unarmed security guards who do little if anything to stop any crimes, drug transactions, etc.

Comment

I was working at a daycare for the first time when a four year-old kid, Matthew, introduced himself to me. We sat down at one of the tables so that he could play some a game he's chosen, and upon pouring out its pieces, he picked up an included ruler. Slapping it against his palm a few times, he laughed, turned to me, and said, "Look, I'm the police!"

I didn't know what to say to him.
                  I preferred the pain to the remedy. - E B Sledge

Comment

My feeling is, that along with the rest of the troubles mentioned above with our society today, the kids growing up now, have little or no respect for anyone, let alone authority...the values have really changed over the years, for the worst it seems.

Comment

Awwww...Com'on

Awwww...Com'on! As I've had it explained to me time & time again. Whenever confronted with everything from the "You must be new", "Do you know who I am?", and "I know ***Fill in any sheriff, chief or officer they think is important here***." stuff to being physically assualted. It important to remember that I should'nt let that stuff bother me and be "Professional"!

I see it all the time. Officers verbally & physically threatened by
                      these "Citizens" and they remember to be "Professional" and ignore it. After 14 years, I'm still trying to remember to be "Professional". The last time my partner & a deputy was being attacked by a family after a dead body was found at a house. I forgot my "Professionalism" and rudely stopped the family from attacking my fellow officers. I was way out of line thinking that the dead body or the attack on police officers would be considered a serious situation. What was really important was that, at sometime durning the calm situation where the family "Just did'nt know what was going on and started fighting with police" I said the word $h!t. I know...I was out of line. Thankfully I was let off with just being placed under investigation, treated like I was a criminal and put on the front of two different news papers a total of 9 times. Sure, I was wrong in thinking that since my Chief and Sheriff asked me to not lock up the family members I had stopped from attacking the police, would make sort of stand since they asked for "Favors". It was dumb of me to think that a person who was'nt even at the sceen could'nt bring up a complant about the word $h!t that they were'nt there to hear. It seems I never quit learning in this job!
                      Last edited by Planetkillr; 07-29-2005, 01:38 PM.
                      War is'nt about who's right, it's about who's left.

Comment

an interesting little tidbit. We are hosting a young man from Belarus. We found out through the interpreter that seeing/meeting the police here is kind of like meeting a celebrity. I asked the interpreter why and she listed a couple of reasons.

American police are seen as a symbol of america. I am not too sure what this means exactly, but it sounded poetic so I remembered it. It probably has to do with the fact that our police are seen as protecting the people and not working for a crooked "president" who uses them to attain he own personal gain. They may see american LEO's as a sort of hero who stands up for the common people and ensures that justice is served. I find this view encouraging and amazing since Lukashenko is doing so much to try to poison
                        the peoples view of other countries and America the most. Just the other day our interpreter got a call from her friend in Minsk telling her about the news story he saw. The city, close to where we are, was running drugs apparently and made it on the tv half a world away. I thought this was amazing but she told me that Lukashenko controls incoming media and uses stories that negativly portray the U.S.

They also see american police in the movies, so when they see a LEO walk by, they might be associating them with the "cops" in the movies.

I find it sad and ironic that our police get more respect and admiration on the whole from other countries than from their own people that they protect. I agree with mobrien, people don't like taking responsibility for their actions.
                        I like what Centurion44 posted in another thread, "You can do whatever you want,just be ready to accept the consequences."
                        stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4408 users online. 314 members and 4094 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X