300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Tattoos

HPD Chief made new rule that officers can no longer display tattoos while wearing a uniform. Officer will be required to get lazer surgery or wear long sleeves at all times. This was posted in todays paper. Does the tattoo really pose a bad image for LE. I wonder if the public would view an officer differently if he had a couple of tatts showing. Back in the military days, that was the thing to do, show your pride forever. I feel bad for the officers that can't afford the lazer surgery and must wear long sleeves all year long.
    Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

My Chief

Originally posted by kiddiecop
    Back in the military days, that was the thing to do, show your pride forever.(
    I have a tattoo, but it's on my upper right arm, well out-of-view, even when I wear short sleeves.

I applaud the decision. I think tattoos look tacky and unprofessional on someone in uniform. I got mine for personal reasons, and it stays personal, since hardly anyone except my wife ever sees it.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by kiddiecop
      HPD Chief made new rule that officers can no longer display tattoos while wearing a uniform. Officer will be required to get lazer surgery or wear long sleeves at all times. This was posted in todays paper. Does the tattoo really pose a bad image for LE. I wonder if the public would view an officer differently if he had a couple of tatts showing. Back in the military days, that was the thing to do, show your pride forever. I feel bad for the officers that can't afford the lazer surgery and must wear long sleeves all year long.
      Do they have a union there? That would certainly seem like a prohibited labor practice
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

I don't think it is as extreme as growing an extra few inches. All they need to do is wear long sleeve shirts. That said, military tats on the arms should be ok.
        Last edited by pkagel; 07-28-2005, 11:33 AM.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

They do have a union, but I am not sure what they are doing about it. The Chief said that they did not have to get surgery if they wear long sleeves, bandages and or bands are not allowed either. All tattoos must be covered by the uniform only. He did give exception to uc's. Also plain clothes must cover theirs as well.
          Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

My Chief

Comment

Sounds like the Chief has just opened a can of worms to me....

Our policy was changed to prohibit us from obtaining any new tattoos that were in view, but not to change or eliminate those already there...
            There's no substitute for strength,
            and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              All they need to do is wear long sleeve shirts. .
              In some states during the summer, that would suck, LEO or not.
              "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                I don't think it is as extreme as growing an extra few inches. All they need to do is wear long sleeve shirts. That said, military tats an the arms should be ok.
                If you side with the no tattoo rule, there should be no exemptions for military tattoos. If you ban tattoo's, you ban all tattoo's, otherwise there is no point to make that policy in the first place. My .02
                In Memoriam:
                Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
                USMC
                Killed in Action
                Fallujah, Iraq
                June 23, 2005

Comment

Long sleeves in our department require the whole uniform, Either a tie or a long sleeved turtle neck. Short sleeve can have the top button unbuttoned and must wear a white t-shirt. This rule covers ALL tattoos.

My Chief

Comment

Policy is stupid. U/C's must have tattoos covered with plain clothes, that screams COP. Give me a break. I hope the union does something about this.
                    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                      Policy is stupid. U/C's must have tattoos covered with plain clothes, that screams COP. Give me a break. I hope the union does something about this.
                      No, he stated they granted exception to Under Covers
                      In Memoriam:
                      Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
                      USMC
                      Killed in Action
                      Fallujah, Iraq
                      June 23, 2005

Comment

This topic again? LOL.
                        Last edited by towncop; 11-16-2007, 03:04 AM.
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

The HPD union balked about the tattoo deal and got the change in policy pushed back to January 1, 2006, along with a updated grooming policy-no more goatees or beards for uniformed officers-I never knew any uniformed officers who could wear more than a mustache...undercover guys, yes.
                          I think the tattoo deal is like the one bad apple scenario-you have those with one or two that isn't seen or maybe the edge sticks out from under a sleeve. Then you get the guy whose arms are covered. Kentucky State Police and the Kentucky Parks Department are or have change their policies to no visible tats.

But the bottom line is, no matter what the guy looks like or if he's tattooed, you just hope he is a good officer-period.

Comment

We don't have a policy on tattoos. I could understand requiring them to be covered if they were offensive, but a total ban is rediculous.

Good thing we don't have that policy, because all of our uniforms are short sleeved.
                            No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

So the moral of this story if your going to become a LEO DO NOT GET A TATTOO where it can been seen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5313 users online. 306 members and 5007 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X