300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 218 and Federal Corrections in NYC

Hello all. I'm new here and I'm sure you have all covered this topic up and down but I've searched and I can't find any thing that covers my Q.
    From what I have been able to find on google thus far says that federal COs do fall under HR218. My question is will BOP officers who live in one of the 5 boroughs and work in one of the New York City's Federal Prisons be allowed to carry in the city as a result of HR218. Thank you for any any info you can provide.

Moderator:If at all possible, please do not move this topic to the Big House. I'm Looking for non corrections view.

The law is the law even in NYC. If you are qualified under the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act, you are qualified.

Why would it matter what individual officers think?

Comment

I don't know about the authority of BOP people, but HR 218 requires that the officer;

1) Is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest

2) Is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm

3) Is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency

4) Meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm

5) Is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance

6) Is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm

I would never hassle a BOP person for carrying, but the potential problems I see are numbers 1 (do you have powers of arrest?), 2 (does the BOP authorize you to carry?), and 4 (do you guys regularly qualify?).
      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Does this meet the requirements?

Do you think this meets the requirement of powers of arrest or is the scope to limited to be considered.

USC

TITLE 18 > PART II > CHAPTER 203 >

Comment

I'm a BoP'er and yes, we are allowed to carry in all 50 states, all citites, towns and US territories. The Bureau has given us the green light as well as the US Attorney General. Just make sure you have your BOP ID with you when carrying. We meet all of the criteria for the LEOSA.
          Don't worry...all bleeding stops eventually!!

Comment

BOPer

Do they have regs that say what specific make/model/cal/ammotype you can carry off duty. Do you have gun lockers at your facility.

Comment

Basically you can carry anything other than a "machinegun or destructive device." Caliber, ammunition and type of gun doesn't matter. You can carry an assault rifle if you would like as long as it isn't fully automatic and as long as it is concealed.
              Don't worry...all bleeding stops eventually!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6258 users online. 346 members and 5912 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X