300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much Respect

Well, there I am going to a detail. I was told in the academy, "don't do details...that's not what this job is about." blah blah blah. Screw them. They put us in the poor house for 6 months, now it's time to get paid. Nuff said.

I get to the site, and it's a paving job on a state highway. Now, the last 2 days have been the hottest of the year, reaching upper 90s and humid as f*ck.

Here are these guys, laying it down, smoothing it out, moving cones around, etc, and people of course do not slow down. I do my best to keep traffic controlled, but I couldn't stop thinking, man, that must be the toughest job in the world.

Props to hard working joes out there.
    Whitechapel - Hate Creation

When I was a rookie, I was told by an old-timer;

"We don't get paid for what we do, we get paid for what we might have to do".
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I have to say, after working a couple of blue collar jobs, I very much respect the blue collar workers of this country.
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
        I have to say, after working a couple of blue collar jobs, I very much respect the blue collar workers of this country.

I agree. When I was in college I worked as a shift manager at Taco Bell. That was some pretty tough work. I used to think that fast food workers suck, now I think differently.
        This country (IMHO) was founded and built by the blue collar. Sadly many of the white collars have forgotten this and still look down on them.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari
          Well, there I am going to a detail. I was told in the academy, "don't do details...that's not what this job is about." blah blah blah. Screw them. They put us in the poor house for 6 months, now it's time to get paid. Nuff said.

I get to the site, and it's a paving job on a state highway. Now, the last 2 days have been the hottest of the year, reaching upper 90s and humid as f*ck.

Here are these guys, laying it down, smoothing it out, moving cones around, etc, and people of course do not slow down. I do my best to keep traffic controlled, but I couldn't stop thinking, man, that must be the toughest job in the world.

Props to hard working joes out there.
          I hear ya Sine but some of those blue collar workers at the Big Dig were making $80+ bucks an hour...
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
            I hear ya Sine but some of those blue collar workers at the Big Dig were making $80+ bucks an hour...
            Don't forget your federal tax dollars for the Iraq Big Dig contractors. My tab was $800 a day for my dumb *** over there.

Comment

I used to sweat my butt off standing in the back of a semi loading it with freight. The days were so hot you could not touch the side of the metal trailer because it would burn you....

I dont forget where I came from...
              Retired 02/01/13

Comment

An old saying i remember from someone.... cant remember who.

The Harder you work; the less you get paid.

In Many Cases ive found that to be True.

Comment

I worked for one summer as a roofer. Being the new guy, I got to bring all the shingles up the ladder to the roof. NEVER AGAIN! The only "rest" I got were the trips back down the ladder when I wasn't carrying anything. I would have a hard time with a job that meant back-breaking labor for ten hours a day, every day, or you don't get paid.
                  Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97
                    I dont forget where I came from...
                    Circuit City warehouse during the holidays..."lady, this tv is NOT going to fit in that Volkswagen." Beginning of my back problems.

Putting Sunday Boston Globes together on Saturdays. Covered in ink.

McDs in high school. Fat cells were induced.

Holiday Inn bus boy. That just sucked ***.

My dad was prepping me to take over his welding business after I got out of high school. Seemed like a good gig, until he got hammered by the IRS. Shortly thereafter (the next week) I went to the recruiting station.

Comment

Let's see some of my jobs:

-Golf Cart attendant at the local golf course. Crappy pay but fun job. Free golf too.

-Home remodeling. Hard work but I learned quite a few good things.

-New car driver. Ferried new cars from one lot to another and prepared them for shipment to dealers. The job was mundane, I belonged to a worthless Teamster's union and I worked with a bunch of drug addicts, loafers and whiners.

-Shop assembler. Building pet panels that install into sliding glass doors. This has been a fun job with good pay but it is hard work. I am learning more about tools, and how to make a quality product.
                      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Laying asphalt is very hard work. I spent the summer of 88 in the Chicago area working for a paving company. 88 was the hottest or one of the hottest summers on record. I haven't done any extensive roofing work, but I don't imagine anything much worse than being the shovel man at the front of a Barber-Greene paver when it's near 100 degrees.

I have complete respect for anyone who puts in an honest days work as a laborer.

Comment

I was a steelworker for 4 years(carrying heavy beams and pipes). Let me tell you in my opinion there's no physical job that compares to this. this is hard as hell, but on the upside you acquire tremendous strength and a beautiful vice grip.

Comment

-HS Chucky Cheese Floor grunt(thats right i cleaned all their crap up)
                            -HS Target - got laid off because they hired too many people
                            -HS Office Max- Pretty good gig, fixing computers
                            -Jr. year through Graduation- Worked for a WISP as a technician. Made great money, paid my own way to cancun for 5 days.

-Now US Army 91W Comba Medic. I couldn't ask for a better job. I hope to become a helicopter pilot soon, and get back to Dallas and fly for DPS, or fly the border for immigration. I might even work as an EMS helo driver.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6129 users online. 352 members and 5777 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X