Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I got an interesting assignment this week. (Armed Guard)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I got an interesting assignment this week. (Armed Guard)

Well, I told you guys that I was starting a new job a couple weeks ago, but this week I got strange assignment.

This week I am working in a well known Arts & Crafts store, in the middle of suburbia. (Ann Arbor, for those of you from MI.)

I got a call Monday that I was needed at the store location for the remainder of the week, and that the store management had been threatened. The contract was for an Unarmed guard (which I typically do not do). So I get there and it turns out an ex-employee has made 2 threats to his psychiatrist about killing members of the store management over a workers comp issue. The psychiatrist also said between the two threats, he also purchased a handgun. (Which may or may not be true.)

My supervisor wasn't aware of the gun situation, but he was pretty upset that the stores loss prevention department left that out, as was I. I politely told the store management that my job is typically theft and robbery deterrence, and this is not either one of those cases. I also told them I sure as hell wasn't coming back the rest of the week unless they approved me to carry, since the individual supposedly purchased a weapon. They changed their tune when I told them I wasn't going to be anyones bullet sponge, and even more so because I was supposed to stand ther unarmed.

They tried to tell me they have a no-handgun policy for all employees, but I told them I wasn't one of their employees and this is not a debate. I will carry during this assignment or I will not come back, and my supervisor agreed.

Tuesday morning I was called and told to bring my weapon with me.

Good choice for them, otherwise I would have 'securitized' from my truck in the parking lot.

I wouldn't say I was unreasonable, an unarmed guard would be fine if merchandise was being stolen left and right, but when en ex-employee is telling his psychiatrist he is thinking about killing the management, your "protection" needs to be able to do so. If I owned a vest, I would be wearing is also, despite the fact that he will probably never show up in the store.

I've been getting some strange looks from these soccer moms.

Cliff Notes: They apparently thought my badge was bulletproof, and that I would stand in the line of fire for their asses. I declined.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Did anyone call the real police? It would seem that death threats by a mentally disturbed individual, coupled with the purchase of a gun would generate more than just a "let's hire a security guard" response.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
      Did anyone call the real police? It would seem that death threats by a mentally disturbed individual, coupled with the purchase of a gun would generate more than just a "let's hire a security guard" response.

Yes, they have been notified. Since the threats were not extremely direct, just that he had thoughts of killing, they can't do too much.
      A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I wasn't going to be anyones bullet sponge

Oh that's priceless!

No only should you be unarmed for self defense in that store...but you should protect them while unarmed as well.

.....I am seriously thinking that the gene pool needs culling. Maybe death penalties for parking violations will do it
        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by zap

Oh that's priceless!

No only should you be unarmed for self defense in that store...but you should protect them while unarmed as well.

.....I am seriously thinking that the gene pool needs culling. Maybe death penalties for parking violations will do it
          That made me laugh. Death penalty for parking violations.

Yea. They want you to to transform into The Thing and then use your lazer eyes to disable the suspect until police arrive. Good luck!
          -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by zap

Oh that's priceless!

Judge Dredd style of policing....

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I don't blame you one bit. I can't believe they honestly expected you to stand around (presumably in a uniform?) unarmed as a deterrent for an armed nutjob.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                I don't blame you one bit. I can't believe they honestly expected you to stand around (presumably in a uniform?) unarmed as a deterrent for an armed nutjob.
                My guess is that if this guy does come in, which is a slim to none chance anyway, he will be looking to harm:
                A: The people he came to harm and
                B: Anyone else trying to stop him.

Why disarm your only possible protection?

It just didn't make any sense to me.

Oh well, it's Thursday already, only 4 more days of this.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
                  Dude, don't you know? Guns are DANGEROUS. IF they have a policy of no guns, then that should cover it. I am sure the nutjob will leave it in his car to avoid violating the policy.

ROFLMAO Well said....
                  An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Can't you just fight off the assailants with your quick wit?
                    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyCJ
                      Easy Contact. Don't be too sure he won't show up. Protect yourself physically and mentally. This guy has some obvious problems. i.e. obsession and stalking to say the least. And this will not end in a week. He is seeing a shrink and that shrink was concerned enough to warn. I'd like to know why he is on workman's comp. and what his conduct was like as an employee.
                      His conduct was pretty good apparently, he worked there for several years (he left for whatever reason, over 2 years ago ). He even goes to church with one of the employees. I'm sure this will not solved in a week, but they only have us there for a week. My guess is this was a feel-good-because-we-did-something-to-cover-our-*** corporate move. Why would you hire security for a week when this has been ongoing for 2+ years apparently?

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I love security guards

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                          Yes, they have been notified. Since the threats were not extremely direct, just that he had thoughts of killing, they can't do too much.

Wow, what a trainwreck. A couple of things to consider from a behavioral health perspective.

A. For the psychiatrist to break confidentiality (which is a HUGE f-ing deal) he has to have a VALID threat with KNOWN victims. Both of those items were met in this case. The company should take it very seriously.

B. IF this happened in AZ, that guys would be forced to go to a psych hospital for 72 hours for eval and meds and they would see what is really going on.

On the bright side, maybe you can make some cool craft projects, or weave some body armor out of raffia or twine.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
                            On the bright side, maybe you can make some cool craft projects, or weave some body armor out of raffia or twine.

I guess I should be happy I have no idea what either of those things are...

I would pay money to see some of the faces I give these women who ask me where the location of some of these products are. Why you would want to make your own soap is beyond me. The only thing I have successfully found is the bathroom and the lunchroom.

Troll, Any insightful comment lurking behind your sarcasm?

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
                              A. For the psychiatrist to break confidentiality (which is a HUGE f-ing deal) he has to have a VALID threat with KNOWN victims. Both of those items were met in this case. The company should take it very seriously.
                              I didn't even think about this aspect, but Max makes an excellent point. I encountered a similar situation a few years ago, and that was exactly the case. Not only did the individual in question make the threat to do harm to several people verbally and in writing to his therapist, one of the people he wanted to off was his former therapist. Dr. Feelgood hotfooted down to the PD in a hurry and left "patient confidentiality" back at his office.

Talk about "professional courtesy."

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4589 users online. 231 members and 4358 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X