300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadets Riding With Officers

I've read a few posts here about regular non LEO citizens going on ride alongs with officers. What are your thoughts about academy cadets asking to do this? Is it proper (should a cadet even ask)? Is it up to the individual officer and/or his/her department?
    "... They think I'm crazy... But I know better... It is not I who am crazy... It is I who am MAD!... Didn't you hear 'em? Didn't you see the crowds?!! Oh my beloved ice cream bar... How I love to lick your creamy center... And your oh-so-nutty chocolate covering... You're not like the others... You like the same things I do... Wax paper... Boiled football leather... Dog breath... WE'RE NOT HITCHHIKING ANYMORE... WE'RE RIDING...

--Ren Hoek, Space Madness

Originally posted by ArcLight
    I've read a few posts here about regular non LEO citizens going on ride alongs with officers. What are your thoughts about academy cadets asking to do this? Is it proper (should a cadet even ask)? Is it up to the individual officer and/or his/her department?

I graduated the academy in Febuary. A lot of our classes were taught by current LEOs. They encouraged us to go on ride-a-longs with them. I think most of the people in my class went on ride-a-longs at one time or another while in the academy. You may want to feel out the academy you attend, but it was perfectly okay to do it here in Utah.
    If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

My academy required us to do a 96 hour internship in the form of ride alongs. My Dept. allows them if the cadet fills out a liability waiver, and only rides 4 hours at a time. Also, if the Officer does not want the ride along we can say no.
      "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Originally posted by haus409
        Also, if the Officer does not want the ride along we can say no.
        And my, that becomes an issue quite often...

Comment

Right - our dept. has interns come down all the time and do ride alongs. The interns have to put in so many hours............ and as far as the deputies - well they do not have the choice. The Sgt. assigns a intern to a dep for the night.

Our dept. has a Posse (reserve unit\ non certified) also. They are responsable for events such as fairs and beer tents etc. They are also required to try and get in 3 rides a quarter. The deps are allowed to turn them down if they feel they do not want someone in the car that night. However, They don't get turned down often - the posse is supported by the deps and Sheriff and they offer them something extremly important.......instant back up!
          There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

my old dept,,civis in cars, no go. the cheif did say that immediate family could ride every now and again, the city was afraid of liablility,,even if someone signs a waiver, if they are injured or killed and the officer was found negligent, so the family could still sue (probably the officer). we HAD pace members (reserves that are under 21) that could ride with officers, but were not allowed out the car. life was good for them until, i became 2nd unit in a pursuit, guy had an ar15, had fired randomly out his window a couple times, anyway, highway ptrl spun him out, i took up secondary cover position, he bails out without rifle are charges the trooper, so we tackle him, well the PACE member got out, and as others arrived, someone took possession of the rifle, well the guy was crankin, and even after cuffed, he started to fight again, so the officer (not my dept) hands my pace member the rifle,,well he starts f**** around with it, pulls the trigger and almost put a 308 round through my grill, it was all on camera. that was the end of the good life for them. at that point, if you were not trained/qualified to be in the patrol car, you werent allowed in there. but each dept is different..i do think that you should get a hands on feel for the job, ive seen my share of new guys quit about 4 or 5 wks into fto, because they couldnt do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by halfacop
              Right - our dept. has interns come down all the time and do ride alongs. The interns have to put in so many hours............ and as far as the deputies - well they do not have the choice. The Sgt. assigns a intern to a dep for the night.
              That's exactly how it works here, but my comment was in reference to Deputies that don't want ride-alongs. It makes for a very awkward shift when you're riding with someone who doesn't want you there...

Comment

Originally posted by JKooL
                That's exactly how it works here, but my comment was in reference to Deputies that don't want ride-alongs. It makes for a very awkward shift when you're riding with someone who doesn't want you there...
                very true, i started as a reserve, and until you prove yourself, that was how you were treated, plus, get ready for the crap stuff, (riding with officer he say someone walking in a carlot after hours, raining like hell he sent me to check them out, another time, riding with officer who had a flat, there was snow on the ground, he made me change the tire, he had radioed out with dispatch, why he was 10-6, a few minutes later they asked if he needed a wrecker, he advised (negative dispatch, i have a reserve). what the crap.

Comment

Hard to prove yourself as an intern, especially when I can't really do anything. I make every attempt to come across professional, eager to learn, respectful, and hopefully stay out of the way - I just can't seem to get a bead on why ride-alongs are looked down upon by many of the Officers. When I have the chance to wear the badge, I will look forward to taking riders with me, showing them a little bit of the job and never forgetting what it was like when I was in the passengers seat...
                  Last edited by JKooL; 07-27-2005, 07:24 PM.

Comment

welll, i dont know about other depts. but my former, the reserves were just there to have a badge, they never came in and worked,,if you go through a period like that, it s hard for the officers to put much faith in them. not saying its right, but like i said, its just kinda a proving ground, that you are there for the right reasons,,,then again, the officers there may just be butt heads, i know some officers (my old dept) that no matter how well you did, they didnt like you,, one of them hated me as a reserve but liked the crap out of me as a full timer. heck, he was the one that asked me to apply.

Comment

well he starts f**** around with it, pulls the trigger and almost put a 308 round through my grill,
                      Holy s%#@!

Anyway, my dept. restricts Officers who have ride alongs. If we have a ride along we cannot get into pursuits, we can't take the ride along to any call in which we know there are weapons involved and things like that. I don't mind ride alongs, at least most of them. I've had one or two that were as annoying as hell, but the ones that are there to see some **** and have a good head on their shoulders I don't mind at all.
                      "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

well pace members werent regular citizens,,that doesnt make sense,,they were members of the reserve dept, but they were under 21, they had no powers, they wore a altered uniform and worked parade detail and crap like that,,that was my whole point then, put i was a pee-on, so i went with what i was told to do, they should not have been in cars, they have no power or training, but we did business as usual if they were with us. does not make a lot of sense huh.

Comment

So kinda like an EXPLORER???????!?!?!?

lol
                          PSE Anderson

"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"

"Better to be by judged 12, than carried by 6"

Comment

yea, more or less.

Comment

Im a non-LEO . I went on a ridealong, stayed w/ the cop the entire time. I was in the car during a pursuit, was able to get out of the car and watch them draw their guns on a guy, and then stand around and watch them deal with a guy that was dying.

However, the other ride-along (diff dept), if a situation like that was to occur, I'm to wait on the corner, and the cop will return and pick me up when it's over with.
                              What would most of you guys do?
                              "Be polite,
                              Be professional,
                              But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2763 users online. 116 members and 2647 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X