X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was torture: Boy malnourished, kept in closet

By Sheila K. Stogsdill
    The Oklahoman

BRAGGS - For longer than he can remember, a 4-year-old boy subsisted on ramen noodles and a makeshift oatmeal mixture and endured beatings and handcuffs, all for wetting the bed, investigators said Monday.

"This was torture," said Tim Brown, a Muskogee County sheriff's detective, who called it "the worst child abuse case I've ever seen."
    The boy weighed 26 pounds when he was found June 25.
    Gore police responding to an anonymous tip of neglect found the child malnourished and severely beaten. Muskogee County Sheriff Charles Pearson said the child was staying with his aunt, Sharon Smith, who was later charged in Sequoyah County in connection with the case. She is free on bail, he said.
    Sheriff's deputies later searched the Smith residence in Braggs, finding a dilapidated trailer with no electricity or running water. The home had a large hole in its roof, and its bathroom contained a trash bag for holding human waste, Brown said.
    The child's mother, Melanie Smith, 24, and her half-brother, Roy Albert Smith, 20, are being held without bail in the Muskogee County jail.
    They are charged with child abuse, neglect and child endangerment.
    "People knew this was going on and did nothing to stop it. There should be a lot of people in jail," Pearson said.
    When investigators found the boy, he had "bruises upon bruises" all over his body plus open wounds on his feet, the result of dropping two, 2

Wow

This is the kind of thing most of the public doesn't think happens. When a call like this comes up, it is hard to stay professional when all you realy want to do is beat the living crap out of anyone who knew this was going on.

Comment

How do you make the punishment fit the crime? Unfortunately, you can't. Even if these asshats get sent to prison, they will get their free meals, showers, a bed, and probably some T.V. too.
      "I only had a couple!"

Comment

I really don't know what to say. I have no idea what you could do as a 4yo to even req' 1 100th of that punishment. Those people deserve to be sent over to Iraq and let the terrorists take care of them. That poor little baby.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

This made me cry...that poor baby. I wish I could take care of him.

Comment

How do you make the punishment fit the crime?

First off, remove the offenders' ability to reproduce (notice I didn't call them "parents" because they are far from that). They have demonstrated a complete lack of ability to parent therefore they should not be allowed to reproduce ever again.

Second, that child must never EVER see them again. Custody rights are hereby permanently revoked with no chance for re-evaluation.

Third, put them through the same treatment they gave the child, in proportion to their weight. The kid was 25 pounds and holding a pair of 2.5 pound dumbbells over his head until they fell? Give these losers a pair of dumbbells 1/10th of their body weight and let 'em drop them on their head a few times. Lock them in a closet with no running water and little food and check back on them in a year and see if they have realized the error of their ways.

Eye for an eye, in this case...

AvgJoe
            Sucky-parent hater
            Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

Once again, humanity shows a corner of itself that you would hope didn't exist. People like that.....oh man, what can you say?
              "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

I am not a religious man, but I do believe there is a special place in HELL reserved for monsters like these.
                Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Originally posted by 7mmMag
                  How do you make the punishment fit the crime? Unfortunately, you can't. Even if these asshats get sent to prison, they will get their free meals, showers, a bed, and probably some T.V. too.
                  Not that any punishment would ever fit this kind of crime, they'll also spend their entire sentences looking over their shoulders. Even among criminals, there is a code of honor where children are off-limits.

If anyone can explain to me why these people should be allowed to live, I'd love to hear it.
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                    Not that any punishment would ever fit this kind of crime, they'll also spend their entire sentences looking over their shoulders. Even among criminals, there is a code of honor where children are off-limits.

If anyone can explain to me why these people should be allowed to live, I'd love to hear it.
                    I think my sig sums it up
                    RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

I think that's pretty close to me because there was a thing on the local news where they interviewed the cop that went to the trailor. Pretty sad story.

Comment

What the hell is wrong with these people!?

They should rot for this.

Poor little guy...made him hold up weights for punishment...sadistic pieces of trash.
                        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Speechless AND ****ED!
                          When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

It just ain't right. I work in a children's hospital ER full time (I'm a reserve for 26 years) and I have to tell you it seems to be getting worse. Recently had the cutest little 7 month old with bite marks, bruises all over his head, little bottom just absolutely beaten raw, thankfully no fractures,. Mom (loose definition) literally gives him to strangers and says "I just can't take him any more." Confesses to local LE. There are times I just cannot fathom what is happening. I want something to blame it on and it is just not there. No rhyme or reason. Last week another mother(Same loose definition) may have given her child some type of animal tranquilizer. Haven't heard for certain yet but something strange happened.

Sure wish I had an answer that was constitutional and effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Quopper
                              Speechless AND ****ED!
                              Ditto. Wasn't there a case in Florida like this last year? Three or four kids in that case.

Too bad they outlawed burning at the stake. THAT punishment might fit.
                              STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5381 users online. 298 members and 5083 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X