300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspicious police vehicle

So, the other day I was driving down a street in my sub-division when I saw a strange looking police car just parked on the side of the road. It couldn't have been running radar because it was about 300-400 feet away from the main road and facing the other direction. Right away I knew it was not a NNPD car because of the antennas. The Newport News police cars always have 2 or 3 short antennas on the back. This car was a silver 2000-2005 impala with about 3 long antennas all over it like a state trooper car. But, I don't see how it could have been a state police car because we were deep in the middle of a city. I've never seen just one state trooper unmarked car hanging out in the middle of a neghborhood. It looked like there was a man in uniform inside but the windows were too tinted to be sure about it. My question is: Is there any point in notifying the NNPD about the car or should I just mind my own business and just assume that it is a police car and not someone pretending?

It was probably a real police car. If you are concerned about it being an imposter, you can call your local PD and let them handle it. I would strongly advise against confronting the car/occupant yourself.

Comment

Funny you bring up suspicious police vehicles. Just yesterday and today two things caught my eye. First, I swear I saw a teenager driving a marked Indiana State Police commercial vehicle enforcement cruiser. Second, I saw a truck pulled over by a marked Sherrif's vehicle and there was a man who I assume was the deputy talking to the driver. Except, he was almost at the front of the driver's door and was not in uniform (untucked T-shirt and shorts). This really only jarred my thought because I remember a few months ago someone stole a Sherrif's Dept. jeep and started pulling people over. I only took a quick glance in both scenarios so I could easily be mistaken.

Anyways, a couple of questions out of all of that:

1) Take-home cars aren't allowed to be driven by anyone in the officer's family, right? Just the officer?
      2) Do many departments have plainclothes people in marked cruisers making traffic stops? It seems like that'd just add to the already-existing fear some people have of being pulled over by some lunatic. I guess he could have been off duty, though.

Anyways, those two incidents struck me funny. I just thought I'd share and see what you all thought.

And are either of my two cases things I should have called in? I don't have a cell phone, so I couldn't call it in at the time.

Comment

We've been called to check on unmarkeds of all agencies and it's not a bad idea to call it in.

Comment

Originally posted by carty
          1) Take-home cars aren't allowed to be driven by anyone in the officer's family, right? Just the officer?
          2) Do many departments have plainclothes people in marked cruisers making traffic stops? It seems like that'd just add to the already-existing fear some people have of being pulled over by some lunatic. I guess he could have been off duty, though.

Anyways, those two incidents struck me funny. I just thought I'd share and see what you all thought.

And are either of my two cases things I should have called in? I don't have a cell phone, so I couldn't call it in at the time.
          1)Take home vehicles are allowed to be operated by the officer only.

2) It's unusual, but not unheard of. In CT, state troopers can initiate a stop even if they are in civilian clothes and "off duty."

I personally wouldn't have thought too much about it.
          Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
          --------------------
          This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

About the plain-cloathed officers: I went to pick up my car from a mechanic down the street and when I left the shop to go the parking lot it was in there was an unmarked dodge stratus and an unmarked expedition that had pulled over a neon. Everyone was in plain clothes, except the 2 younger guys who had on state police vests. It was kind of weird. I've never seen an expedition and a stratus make a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by carty
              Funny you bring up suspicious police vehicles. Just yesterday and today two things caught my eye. First, I swear I saw a teenager driving a marked Indiana State Police commercial vehicle enforcement cruiser. Second, I saw a truck pulled over by a marked Sherrif's vehicle and there was a man who I assume was the deputy talking to the driver. Except, he was almost at the front of the driver's door and was not in uniform (untucked T-shirt and shorts). This really only jarred my thought because I remember a few months ago someone stole a Sherrif's Dept. jeep and started pulling people over. I only took a quick glance in both scenarios so I could easily be mistaken.

Anyways, a couple of questions out of all of that:

1. Only the officer may drive the car

2. In Indiana, an officer has to be in uniform and/or a marked car to make a traffic stop. This does not pertain to criminal investigative stops. It is very likely that officer was off-duty. An off-duty officer may make traffic stops as long as they are in a marked car or in uniform. Sounds like the officer assumed a

Comment

not that this might be the situation, but I used to work in a ford dealership and we had to test drive the local pd's crown vics all the time. we wouldn't mess with lights or anything but that might explain the situation of a younger person driving one.
                si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

[QUOTE=Tennsix]All PD
                  si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning
                    I'm glad you guys enjoy giving ride alongs, i did some with my local pd had a blast and definatly hooked me on wanting to do this as a career....now i just need to get hired
                    Hmm... I just found out Carty's uncle is my chief

Comment

This one was pulling out of Ponderosa. Probably 2 miles from the nearest Ford dealership. The driver was probably early 20's then, but boy he looked young! Anyways, Tennsix's response cleared everything up. Thanks.

Edit:
                      Originally posted by Tennsix
                      Hmm... I just found out Carty's uncle is my chief
                      Last edited by carty; 07-26-2005, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I am 21 and look 18 (maybe younger). I get atleast 1 comment a day about how young I look (not counting my squad mates). One of my buddys was at traffic court the other day and a deputy asked him "whose that teenager driving one of your dept's patrol cars around?". The best is when people I think im an explorer. When I first went solo, my squad issued me an explorer jacket. The list goes on. The K-9 officer put a junior police officer sticker on my back when I was in FTO. I walked around with it on for many a hour until our dispatcher was kind enough to tell me. Its all in fun though. Im the first person they think of when someone runs. 3/3 on foot chases. Being small has its advantages. Makes going to work fun, and having fun at work is what its all about (most the time). The best is when I go to the gym in the patrol car...people stare me down like I stole it. I wouldnt be surprised if the sheriffs office gets 4 calls of a stolen patrol car everytime I go to the gym. Thats fine though, it aint my gas.
                        press hard-5 copies

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5385 users online. 305 members and 5080 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X