Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are non-work related injuries handled?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are non-work related injuries handled?

If you are injured off-duty how is that handled if it affects your ability to perform your job? Is it the same as if you were injured on-duty in regards to having reduced duty till you have recovered or something to that affect? Or is this another topic that differs from department to department, state to state? Thanks folks.
    "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

In CA, our department allows for accomodations and light duty to be performed by the injured (off work) officer / employee.. for up to one (1) year.....

It'll vary by Dept. to Dept, if they (the department) wants to deal with the issue. Most feel that it's better to have the injured worker at work, helping out at other details / locations / assignments (front desk, dispatch, warrants desk, backgrounds, other investigations, evidence, motorpool, etc.) rather than putting the injured worker totally off work.....
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Comment

On my department, if you are hurt off duty & cant work the field, chances are you will be on the front desk answering phones & taking reports. In many cases, this seems to cure the injuries in a very short time. If you are unable to return to full duty, you will be out of a job.

We had one guy hurt pretty bad in Afganistan. It was touch & go what was going to happen to him as he was injured under some very heroic circumstances and an excellent officer. We were fortunate that he recovered to the extent he was able to return to full duty though he is not 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
        On my department, if you are hurt off duty & cant work the field, chances are you will be on the front desk answering phones & taking reports. In many cases, this seems to cure the injuries in a very short time. If you are unable to return to full duty, you will be out of a job.

We had one guy hurt pretty bad in Afganistan. It was touch & go what was going to happen to him as he was injured under some very heroic circumstances and an excellent officer. We were fortunate that he recovered to the extent he was able to return to full duty though he is not 100%.

I am glad the fella was able to recover and my thanks to him for his service. I am thinking along the lines of injuries from hobbies.... I like to play football and if I got hurt how would it affect me, was what I was wondering. But I believe ya'll answered my question. Thanks for the input.
        "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

We'll try to find you something to do on a light-duty basis for a short time, but basically it's your sick leave. Like GGG said, I'm always after my guys about using their sick leave as alternate vacation time. We've got some of the worst traffic in the country here, and there are wrecks all over the place every day. All it takes is to get hurt in an off-duty wreck with only a few days of sick-leave in the bank and you're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
            Another guy asked for leave when his twins were born, so he could stay home and help with the kids. F him. He would always call in sick, and it is not like he did not know in advance that this was going to happen.
            That is what FMLA was created for....The one thing Clinton did that I agree with.
            Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3067 users online. 205 members and 2862 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X