Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zap
    replied
    Ok....the issue is NOT about the features, or lack of them,on a particular taser model. But, just to clarify.

I can sell anyone an M26 for around $500-$700 As far as I know, these are the SAME as the models used in law enforcement. They have a 5 second cycle (shock target for 5 seconds) and I believe can use the same cartridges.

I can sell anyone an X26 for around $1000 As far as I know, these are the SAME as the models used in law enforcement. They have a 5 second cycle (shock target for 5 seconds) and I believe can use the same cartridges.

I know Taser has several models, M18 and M18L that are intended for civilian use. They are available in the $400 - $600 range.

I know that Taser has a version of the X26 specifically designed for use by civilians. That model is in the $1000 range and initially cycles for 10 seconds, but can cycle for 30 seconds giving the user time to deploy on the bad guy drop the unit and run....rather than take LE action.

Of the 3 models intended for civilians, the common thing is they are advertised with a 15 foot range as compared to 21 for LE. I am uncertain about other differences. All of the civillian versions of the taser have a lifetime replacement guarantee....Taser will replace the entire unit if you use it as intended....set it....drop it and run. All three are tracable. A copy of the report is needed for replacement

.....Here is the warrantee from Taser International .........

LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE

If the TASER is used in self-defense, it can be deployed and left behind attached to the attacker causing incapacitation while you get to safety. When fired, the TASER will deliver a 10-second energy burst. Pull the trigger two more times and the burst is increased up to 30 seconds. During this window of opportunity you can then set down the TASER to keep the attacker incapacitated, while you escape. Send us a copy of the police report documenting the incident and we can replace your unit free of charge.

YOUR LIFE IS WORTH MORE TO US THAN THE COST OF A TASER

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FINCH

Your train of thought, though certainly not in the vast majority, is somewhat common here in the states. People with that point of view tend to gravitate to coast states...like Maryland, Massachusetts, and California. Pockets of them are also commonly found in large urban areas.

These people do not understand the concept of a firearm as a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. A gun IS the same as a knife, (including the apple peeling variety), a baseball bat, or a car. Each CAN be deadly IF USED INCORRECTLY.

Many people with your opinion don't understand the CORRECT use of a firearm, therefore attach MISSuse to the tool and not the operator where it belongs.

The gun is the only one in that list that might be designed to be practically used in self-defense of one's life. In that case, the desired outcome is a dead bad guy.

I, and the majority of Americans, realize that it was the use of a TOOL to prevent the serious injury or death of an innocent person, that results in the injury or death of the bad guy who made the initial decision to attack the wrong person. I"m sorry...that is just the cost of doing business for the bad guy.

You pull a knife on me, game over.
    You draw back a baseball bat to hit me, game over.
    You drive your car at me in a manner that makes me think you want to hit me with it...game over.
    You pull a gun on me...game over.

Most Americans understand the responsibility of being a gun owner. They also understand that LE is not liable for protecting us from a BG with ill intent.

As for the military, well, our Second Amendmant was all about preventing the military from being the only armed force in the country. You can look up references to Hitler's statements about disarming a country prior to enslaving it if you wish.

.....perhaps you have only seen guns used in bad ways. But I for one KNOW the other side of the story.
    Last edited by zap; 07-26-2005, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SPM
    replied
    Well

Originally posted by SuperSix5
    I hadn't heard of that, what I gathered is that if you had to use your tazer for self defense, and you sent them a copy of the police report stating that, they'd send you a new cartridge for free, not a whole $1000 unit for free.

Well the problem is once the tase is over, the target can literally jump right back up and attack again. I was told (again, by this vendor)... well the convo went something like this:

Me: "Oh, this is new." (As I pick up an inert demo model of the X26 that is laying on the display case) "A demo. Inert, I assume?"

Vendor: "No, it's live and we let people tase eachother for test runs." (he is a sarcastic bastard)

Me: "ya ya. It's best that way. I've done my 5."

Vendor: "Oh, that's the civilian model. 30* second ride. Wanna demo?"

Me: "You are joking. 30 seconds? Overkill much?"

Vendor: "The idea is the person tases the attacker and just drops the taser and runs... allows them time to escape."

Me: "Right. And just leave the 1000 bucks on the ground."

Vendor: "yea, but Taser Int. will send them a new one."

Me: "What the ****? I see room for an exploit."

Vendor: "Well you have to send a copy of a police report and stuff. They should include the serial off of the tags that drop in the report. If everything matches up: new taser."

Me: "Not bad..."

[* = I don't remember the actual cycle time of the taser, but 30 seconds sounds right.]

So, I go off of what I am told. He could have been wrong, but then I feel bad for the people who drop thier 1000 bucks based on what he said.

-SPM

EDIT:

Taken from Taser International's Website:

LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE

If the TASER is used in self-defense, it can be deployed and left behind attached to the attacker causing incapacitation while you get to safety. When fired, the TASER will deliver a 10-second energy burst. Pull the trigger two more times and the burst is increased up to 30 seconds. During this window of opportunity you can the n set down the TASER to keep the attacker incapacitated, while you escape. Send us a copy of the police report documenting the incident and we can replace your unit free of charge.

YOUR LIFE IS WORTH MORE TO US THAN THE COST OF A TASER

http://www.taser.com/self_defense/x2601.htm
    Last edited by SPM; 07-26-2005, 09:28 AM. Reason: addendum

Leave a comment:

• SuperSix5
    replied
    Originally posted by SPM
    Taser has an insurance policy (or something) where if you are attacked and use your taser in defence, you can have it cycle for 20 (or more?) seconds and just leave it and run. Since the M26 costs like 1000 bucks, Taser Int., when provided with a police report and the such, will replace your lost taser for free.

Or so I was told by a vendor.
    I hadn't heard of that, what I gathered is that if you had to use your tazer for self defense, and you sent them a copy of the police report stating that, they'd send you a new cartridge for free, not a whole $1000 unit for free.

Leave a comment:

• Finch
    replied
    Originally posted by Centurion44
    I was going to go all 2nd amendment on you, but I see your Canadian. So I'll just say this:

The only people you want armed is the government. That's why your still under British rule and we are not. Nuff said.
    I'd say the lives saved by restricting firearm rights would be worth it.

But, I'm just Canadian.

Leave a comment:

• SPM
    replied
    a few things

first of all, DUI_Eliminator : why capitolize ever word? I felt like I was starting a new sentence every word! ahhhhh

second, I wasn't clear on the cycle time on the civilian model, but after zap said 30, I'll take that as fact (I knew it was up there, but I forgot the actual number. ) Third, the long timer version is in production, as I examined one about a month ago. Second, they cost about 1000 bucks... not 500. Fourth, Taser International will replace the taser for free if you use it to defend yourself and leave it at the scene.

And last, when I mentioned robbing people, I forgot all about the tags that drop! That null/voids my comment reguarding them being used in crimes.

-SPM
    Last edited by SPM; 07-26-2005, 05:53 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• djack16
    replied
    Seems to me, if a person can buy a firearm they should be able to buy a tazer. I haven't really researched this though.

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by Finch
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only people who should have firearms are military and police.

Too bad for the rest.

I was going to go all 2nd amendment on you, but I see your Canadian. So I'll just say this:

The only people you want armed is the government. That's why your still under British rule and we are not. Nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• Finch
    replied
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only people who should have firearms are military and police.

Too bad for the rest.

Leave a comment:

• zap
    replied
    Originally posted by Finch
    The public shouldn't have access to either.

Well....you are just wrong.

IMnotsoHO

Leave a comment:

• Finch
    replied
    Originally posted by WTPD3534
    If the public can have a gun why shouldn't they be able to have a taser?
    The public shouldn't have access to either.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    The only people that carry tasers are the jail and court officers. IUPD and BPD do not carry tasers. A prisoner died after being zapped in the sally port a while back. A jail officer was charged with battery with a deadly weapon. CBS came to town and aired the story on 60 Minutes. I can

Leave a comment:

• carty
    replied
    I think civilians should be able to buy a taser if they want to. It's not even a lethal weapon. There has to be many people out there that are not comfortable carrying a handgun but could carry a taser. Whether it be just a fear of having a gun, the inability to take someone else's life, or whatever, some people probably just don't want a gun. A taser would provide effective self-defense without having to kill anyone. Sure, the bad guys could get ahold of tasers, but that's possible with ANYTHING. Even then, I don't see it becoming a widespread problem. If you have the money, you've got every right to buy one. Buy two, for all I care.

By the way, Tennsix, does the IUPD have tasers? Does the Monroe County Sherrif's Dept. or BPD have them for that matter? I haven't seen any officers/deputies carrying a taser here. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't have any.

Leave a comment:

• zap
    replied
    Originally posted by CarCop
    Since you sell them Zap I'll take your word on the power limitations. If that iste case then I see your point about not wanting to spend the cash for an expensive toy. Makes sense! Thanks for the info.

I'll still shoot ya dead if you point something at me.

Just to clarify, I don't think there are any major differences at all in the power or operation of the M26 and X26 I can get and the ones that are sold to LE agencies. (I sell them...but not THAT many of them 8) )

I heard that Taser International was coming out with a version specifically for civilians however, that instead of cycling for 5 seconds, would cycle for 30...effectively giving you the chance to drop the unit on the ground and run while the bad guy was still doing the funky chicken on the ground.

....and I totally agree....you point it at me I shoot you with a real gun.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by carty
    I've got no problem with it, but with sweeping titles such as "Police Believe Stun Guns Will Cause More Harm Than Good" I thought I'd see what everyone thought
    Carty, I am a cop in your city. What is your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• Straight Up
    replied
    Quick question????
    How easy would it be to build a home version??? Sounds expensive to buy but is it possible perhaps with a little knowledge / experimenting

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3629 users online. 263 members and 3366 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X