300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasers for the Public?

I was just reading the frontpage O.com story, and was wondering what you all thought.

Do you think the public should have access to the taser? Should it require a background check and/or training course first?

If the public can have a gun why shouldn't they be able to have a taser?

Edit: Just read the story and HAD to add this.

"I think that would be like giving weapons to kids. Simple as that -- that's dangerous," Andy Ortiz said.
    That has to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard. How do you equate allowing law abiding adults buy a taser to giving weapons to kids. Is this guy an idiot or something?

But then this one is even better....
    "They shouldn't even be for police officers but I guess they have to use it for their safety but I don't think they should have it," Tashara James said.
    Could this woman contradict herself more in just one sentence?? I swear it must be a prerequisite to be a complete moron before being quoted in a newspaper.
    Last edited by WTPD3534; 07-25-2005, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Ah, but will they be more likely to use a tazer in a situation that perhaps didn't require it? After all, shooting someone has a much more lasting effect/stigmatism attached to it, but cops tazer people all the time and they're fine within minutes, right? If they do become prevalant in the community, will we find ourselves going to tazer fights?

Just somethings to ponder.
      Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
      --------------------
      This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

they would be more likely to use a taser to quickly,,in okla it s not illegal to have pepper spray, but if you dont use it how it was intended, its a crime,,dont get me wrong, a taz is better than a bullet, but i think people would get tazer happy,,,front headlines " Man gets tazed for looking at someone with a scairy face"

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSix5
          Ah, but will they be more likely to use a tazer in a situation that perhaps didn't require it? After all, shooting someone has a much more lasting effect/stigmatism attached to it, but cops tazer people all the time and they're fine within minutes, right? If they do become prevalant in the community, will we find ourselves going to tazer fights?

Just somethings to ponder.

dang it, you beat me

Comment

Originally posted by carty
            I was just reading the frontpage O.com story, and was wondering what you all thought.

Do you think the public should have access to the taser? Should it require a background check and/or training course first?

Yes!! Not unless we start doing backround checks for knives first. Get serious
            Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

It might just be that an accidental taser shock just might help some of the people I have met over the years. Might be a good argument for making them legal.
              Anyway I don
              Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sell em.

I would rather be shot with a tazer than a gun...but realistically.....the price tag is about double most handguns (or as much as the better ones) and the bad guys won't spend the cash for a less than lethal 'weapon'.

....and...you point either at me its game over.
                An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

I've got no problem with it, but with sweeping titles such as "Police Believe Stun Guns Will Cause More Harm Than Good" I thought I'd see what everyone thought

Comment

Tasers have been sold to the public for...

Tasers have been availible to the public for a long time now... at least over a year. I am not talking about the little rinky-dink pain compliance ones you see in the movies (and in some old ladies' purses), I am talking about the M26 and the X26.

The only difference between the one that LEOs use and the one that is availible to the public is the air cartridge, and the length of the wires on the contacts. I don't remember the length for the civilian contacts... but I think it is like 16 feet (as opposed to LEO's 21).

Personally, I don't care if the public has them... it's a lot better than a firearm (if you are on the recieving end). However, I am really suprised more criminals don't use them... I mean, with the civilian model (and maybe the LEO as well, I don't know) you can alter the length of the tase (per trigger pull), up to like 20 or 25 seconds...

So just zap your victim, jack thier wallet/purse, and when you are done you can drop the contacts and run.

Taser has an insurance policy (or something) where if you are attacked and use your taser in defence, you can have it cycle for 20 (or more?) seconds and just leave it and run. Since the M26 costs like 1000 bucks, Taser Int., when provided with a police report and the such, will replace your lost taser for free.

Or so I was told by a vendor.
                    -SPM

***edit***
                    I just re-read my post and it kinda sounds like I am pro-civilian taser... I'm not. However, I do think I would rather someone carry a taser for thier *self defence* than a handgun. Idealy, I would stop someone and they would say "Officer, so you know I have a taser on me" instead of "Officer, so you know I have a gun on me.". Even though both are better to hear than nothing, I don't think my heart rate wouldn't increase as much if I found a taser in a search (as opposed to a handgun).
                    Last edited by SPM; 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Not sure how I feel about Civi'c having them. If they sell a Civi model with no taser darts them maybe. I know different types of tasers have been around for years but with the 'New" publicity I feel there will be a rise in robberies. Like someone mentioned earlier, it would take less mentally to taser someone.

Not sure though.

Comment

My understanding is that the civi version that is MARKETED for the civilian market has a 30 second cycle. It is designed to let a potential victum use the device for self defense...then drop it and run. At nearly $1000 a pop....I don't think it would be too popular.

Also, another reason I seriously doubt that tasers would catch on with bad guys is that while I sell the M26 for about $500 or so, they release tracable stips during firing.

If you were a BG, would you spend $500 on something that would work for about 5 seconds.....or $150 on something that works permenantly? (or $20 for a knife for that matter)

I agree with whoever said something about no problem with tasers if no problem with guns. Just think about it. CCW is the crook version of Russian roulette!
                        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Since you sell them Zap I'll take your word on the power limitations. If that iste case then I see your point about not wanting to spend the cash for an expensive toy. Makes sense! Thanks for the info.

I'll still shoot ya dead if you point something at me.

Comment

Quick question????
                            How easy would it be to build a home version??? Sounds expensive to buy but is it possible perhaps with a little knowledge / experimenting
                            Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by carty
                              I've got no problem with it, but with sweeping titles such as "Police Believe Stun Guns Will Cause More Harm Than Good" I thought I'd see what everyone thought
                              Carty, I am a cop in your city. What is your opinion?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4676 users online. 271 members and 4405 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X