Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operator13
    replied
    Bensalem PD, Bucks County, just North of Philadlephia has at least a few officers with take-homes.

Not sure of the requirements but I can think of at least three that have them. Pretty sure they are regular patrol officers, not supervisors.

Leave a comment:

• Tikidaddy
    replied
    Definate WHACKER!!!!

I only know of Chief's and LT's atleast in my are of PA. Elkton, MD I believe recently allowed take homes. I would never advertise by having a cruiser parked in my driveway.

Leave a comment:

• LEO_07
    replied
    Originally posted by ufresdave View Post
    Obviously airman has a complex, albeit humorous, personality. He doesnt want a take home bc he is a wanna be or is 100% cop; he wants it because it saves you gas and miles on your pov (to the tune of about $6000.00 a yr from what I hear). Aiman, I dont know bout PA, but all sheriffs and state officer get take home here in Florida, along with many (most that I know of) of us locals do too. No snow either. Good luck in the long road ahead.

-Edit- Every agency I know of gives their fng's a take home out of FTO. MCCO will even give u your take home day one (no traffic stops till out of FTO). I know you didnt even ask about FL and dont give a sh*t, but ill be like everyone else by either answering your questing with a smark *** remark or posting errouneous info that does not pertain to your original question.
    Same extends all the way down to south Florida also, most every agency has take homes from the time you are off training, on limit depends on how far you live out oft he city/county.

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied
    Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Im with you on that.......On that note, think of how much money the state would save if they did not have take home cars.

Actually, it has been shown that many agencies save money with take-home cruisers.

First of all, the life expectancy of the vehicle nearly doubles, the "lone driver" to whom it is assigned will take better care of it - compared to a car that is driven 24/7 by different people who care little about how badly it is beaten. It makes a difference when you can't blame something on a previous shift! The department will be able to get more money for them at auction time, too, since a "single driver" car is always going to be kept up better than one that is beaten to death by multiple drivers.

Second, it reduces the need to transfer gear from car to car before and after each shift. Of course, there is less chance for your stuff to be "borrowed" between the time you log off and when you log back on for your next shift. It is sort of like a girl that everyone dates, but nobody marries.

Third, law enforcement visiblity is greatly increased and there is more of a "police presence" without any extra tax money being spent. This is even more of a case with departments who allow officers to drive their cruisers off-duty (haircuts, gym workouts, going to the dry cleaner's, etc., etc.).

Finally, in metropolitan areas, plenty of parking is spared. If you have "pool cars" that are shared by everyone, you not only need enough parking for the squad cars, but for the incoming and outgoing shift's personal vehicles. Cops without assigned cars have to drive to work, you know.

Many agencies (but certainly not all of them) will assign vehicles here in VA, especially the state police and most rural departments. Others will limit take-homes to officers & deputies who reside within a certain geographical area or inside city/county limits.

Even with only a 10-mile commute, you are looking at lots of savings on gas, car payments, wear & tear, maintenance, etc., etc. There is also a lot to be said for being able to go 10-41 from your driveway instead of HQ.

The biggest problem is probably trying to convince the bean counters to cough up the larger initial sum to purchase more cars & equipment at one time - even if you can keep them in service longer. Would you rather purchase 30 cars that will last six years or 15 that just might be on the road for three years? (just a figure off the top of my head - probably not an exact comparison)

Last edited by VA Dutch; 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    lol My brother's always had an ego. In my agency, you have to be on the road for 1.5years (out of FT) to get a take-home. Right now, mine is for duty only. When I am off, I leave it at the station. But, in another half a year, I'll probably be driving it around the county on and off duty.

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by Delta784
    Even if my PD had take-home cruisers, which we don't, I'd leave it at the station. My neighbors know I'm a cop, but the people that drive by my house don't know, and I want to keep it that way.
    Im with you on that.......On that note, think of how much money the state would save if they did not have take home cars.

Leave a comment:

• 16crewchief
    replied
    Originally posted by ufresdave
    Obviously airman has a complex, albeit humorous, personality. He doesnt want a take home bc he is a wanna be or is 100% cop; he wants it because it saves you gas and miles on your pov (to the tune of about $6000.00 a yr from what I hear). Aiman, I dont know bout PA, but all sheriffs and state officer get take home here in Florida, along with many (most that I know of) of us locals do too. No snow either. Good luck in the long road ahead.

-Edit- Every agency I know of gives their fng's a take home out of FTO. MCCO will even give u your take home day one (no traffic stops till out of FTO). I know you didnt even ask about FL and dont give a sh*t, but ill be like everyone else by either answering your questing with a smark *** remark or posting errouneous info that does not pertain to your original question.
    Call it what you will, but this individual obviously lacks situational awarness. The AF drills this and countless other trainings into your brain. After that, it becomes second nature. I don't know about you, but if my *** is on the line, I'd really have to think twice about having him backing me up, let alone checking ID's at the gate!

Leave a comment:

• usafcop64528
    replied
    Originally posted by SPM
    Escondido Police Department, California

They give ALL thier officers take homes. The exception is while you are in your FTO phase. But last I checked, that only lasts about 3 months. So unless you arn't a "rookie" after only 3 months, then they give rookies take home cars.

They are pretty damn hard to get hired by though.

-SPM
    Thanks for the info. It must be my area.

Leave a comment:

• usafcop64528
    replied
    Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    Thanks for the advance notice
    Your welcome

Leave a comment:

• SPM
    replied
    Originally posted by usafcop64528
    Umm, why is it all important to have a take home car? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that no dept has a take home policy for rookies.
    Escondido Police Department, California

They give ALL thier officers take homes. The exception is while you are in your FTO phase. But last I checked, that only lasts about 3 months. So unless you arn't a "rookie" after only 3 months, then they give rookies take home cars.

They are pretty damn hard to get hired by though.

-SPM

Leave a comment:

• DARRELL_LEE2000
    replied
    Originally posted by AirmanE3
    In GEORGIA sheriff deputy and state trooper get take home cars.

Leave a comment:

• haus409
    replied
    Too funny. Your one of the guys that goes to bars wearing your badge exposed, and meets women by waking up and saying "Hi, I'm a cop!" Aren't ya? I lie my *** off to people who don't already know I'm a cop, I've been a construction worker, an iron worker, I've worked in the mines (this is Mo...)

I agree though, at least he's honest.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    None in the Philadelphia area have take home marked vehicles that I know of. PPD, captains and above have take home unmarked vehicles.

If you want to stay in SF when your time is done, the DoD police at Willow Grove ARS is always hiring and you can be a member of the SF reserve unit.

Leave a comment:

• ufresdave
    replied

Last edited by ufresdave; 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AmericanMan
    replied
    Bad Cop no Donut (i always wanted to sat that)

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4457 users online. 287 members and 4170 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X