300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disrespect toward LEOs

i saw this on the "ask a cop" board and thought it a good question: what's behind the trend toward disrespect toward LEOs. can't answer there 'cause i'm not a LEO USAcop (?) gave a great reply. here is my OSHO:

i agree w/ USAcop: parents are afraid to discipline (as in "set limits") lest they be reported to the governement for doing their job. or maybe they're just lazy and afraid their kids won't LIKE them. so, as i hear from officers in town i know, they call the cops instead of drawing the line w/ their unruly brats.

the second factor is that we no longer have control over our persons or property: i.e., if i catch someone breaking into my garage, i'm expected to call the cops. used to be folks might could stroll out--armed--to see what they were about, and exercise appropriate force to send them on their way--up to and including "deadly" if it came to that.

one officer told me, "no...you wouldn't go to jail." i said, "yes, i would. i'd be released straight away; i'd still likely face trial for having the audacity to shoot someone who came at me intending me harm." maybe he said that because he knows i'm not a nut

Originally posted by lakecityrose
    i saw this on the "ask a cop" board and thought it a good question: what's behind the trend toward disrespect toward LEOs. can't answer there 'cause i'm not a LEO USAcop (?) gave a great reply. here is my OSHO:

i agree w/ USAcop: parents are afraid to discipline (as in "set limits") lest they be reported to the governement for doing their job. or maybe they're just lazy and afraid their kids won't LIKE them. so, as i hear from officers in town i know, they call the cops instead of drawing the line w/ their unruly brats.

the second factor is that we no longer have control over our persons or property: i.e., if i catch someone breaking into my garage, i'm expected to call the cops. used to be folks might could stroll out--armed--to see what they were about, and exercise appropriate force to send them on their way--up to and including "deadly" if it came to that.

Nut or not....those are good points. I think I answered in that thread...so will pass on posting my opinions again here .....at this point.
    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

I agree with the right of self defense. If a person has a deadly threat against them then they are allowed to use deadly force to protect them self or family friend etc. Now if a person is for example messing up your car things like that i agree that deadly force is not needed and is against the law. If someone is breaking into your home and you have your firearm it is legal to do so. I also belive that if a person has forced entry etc that is a deadly threat. The Officer is right not everyone who uses self defense goes to jail. And if you do its for a investigation the same as if a leo uses defense.

In my state we have a CCW Law if you have taken training passed a criminal background check etc then the State Sheriffs Association issues a CCW permit which allows you to carry a concealed handgun. Since this law has taken effect crime has gone down. Crime in cincinnati and other big cities in ohio droped also. THe FBI says that states with CCW have lower crime than states with out it. NYC, DC, LA etc have alot of gang crime and other violent crime and dont allow its citizens to defend them selfs. Yet they have the highest crime in the country. Thaanks to some politicans who dont want CCW for its Lawful Citizens.

They did a survey of Ohio Law Enforcement and found most LEO support the 2nd admendment and the right to carry it was in the high 90's percent. The same goes for all over the country most LEOS support it.

The City of Columbus has city council has come up with a gun ban and is already in trouble. They have decided to ban legal firearms. Also my NRA was going to have the 07 NRA Convention at Columbus and decides not to go to Columbus because Columbus is an embarrasment to Freedom for its citizens and also has made ohio look bad. Columbus ohio wanted us to attend 07 we would have had 60 to 70,000 members and brought in atleast 20million dollars into the city in 3 days. This yrs Convention was in Houston TX we had 60,000 members attend and brought 20mil to Houston Texas and they want us back as soon as possible.

The City of Columbus is already said to be violating Ohio state law also I hear possible lawsuits coming out and things in the state law to override the city. They have us to fight now more than 4 Million Members and millions of others who are affilated with us. They have Ohioans For Concealed Carry to fight and many others. Columbus messed up with its illegal ways and they have opended up a fight they cant get out of. Dont be surprised if the Mayor ends up out of a job and others. When they decide to be crooked or more then they have to pay what ever the outcome is. I feel sorry for Columbus LEOS who have to put up with such a bunch of crooked council members at this time. But things will be ok it will all turn out fine. Just another battle to win and we can and will win as long as we stay strong and keep going.

visit www.nra.org
      www.ohioccw.org

Stay Safe All

Comment

Question???

Does the law in some states allow deadly force to be used to protect property???
        I think Florida just put this into effect.
        Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Not in Indiana

Comment

I've been in a lot of arguments about this subject. The one thing I continually say is, " Most people don't like law enforcement because they've been caught doing something they know they shouldn't have been doing in the first place." Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Comment

I see no growing trend. Some people just don't like the police. Usually these people are known as criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                I see no growing trend. Some people just don't like the police. Usually these people are known as criminals.
                Ditto...I agree
                Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

I believe TX lets you use deadly force to protect property.

As to the attitude toward law enforcement: You're always hearing the expression about a few bad apples spoiling the barrel (or a few bad ones make us all look bad). I think that's only true to a certain extent, even in light of the spectacular job that the media does to villainize us. I've studied trends in generational (is that a word) attitudes toward authority and it is indeed changing. The baby boomers had their rebellion in the 60's and early 70's then things kind of stabilized and skipped a generation and now you're seeing a more consistent decline in respect for authority that isn't really based so much on events like the civil rights movement and Vietnam, so much as it is apathy. So many people don't know where their kids are at night, who they're with, or what they're doing, and they don't care. Then when you catch little Johnny, stoned and drunk, out stealing and vandalizing stuff, you're just harassing their little angel when you call mommy and daddy in the middle of the night to let them know that they need to come get their kid.

As much as anything, though, I think I blame Matlock and Perry Mason.

Comment

I cannot stand teenagers that have not repect for LEO'S. However there are officers out there that have lost my respect!

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Up
                      Question???

Does the law in some states allow deadly force to be used to protect property???
                      I think Florida just put this into effect.
                      i believe that in texas if someone is stealing under the cover of darkness (night time) you can use deadly force,,,i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
                        I cannot stand teenagers that have not repect for LEO'S. However there are officers out there that have lost my respect!

Exactly!! ....and one step further...I can't stand teenagers that have no respect for their PARENTS!!
                        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by dptyrob
                          I believe TX lets you use deadly force to protect property.

True......has gotten a few of us in trouble, though.

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                            Exactly!! ....and one step further...I can't stand teenagers that have no respect for their PARENTS!!

I tried that a few times as a teenager......I may still have the slap marks on my face if you look close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
                              I tried that a few times as a teenager......I may still have the slap marks on my face if you look close enough.
                              My mom raised 11 by herself. (8 boys 3 girls) Her weapons of choice were a broom stick or an iron skillet.

She never meant any serious harm, but we did respect our elders.

Can anyone tell me where this flat spot on the top of my head came from?
                              Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5644 users online. 320 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X