300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunk Driving Ohio Cops *** One Dead

The Hamilton County (Cincinnati Ohio ) Coroner released information today that an off duty Cincinnati Police Officer that caused a horrendous crash there last week that killed him and injured others was indeed driving under the influence

Ohio Highway Patrol also today realeased to the media that they had arrested Sgt Ross Staggs of the Franklin County Sheriff's Department for DUI Sunday. He was stopped on I270 by a trooper and he appeared under the influence. Sgt Staggs refused to take a blood alcohol test requested by the trooper. The Sheriff said apparently Staggs who by the way is a member of the Franklin County DUI Task Force isn't practing what he preaches.
    Sheriff is awaiting outcome of charge before taking job action against Staggs.
    He was off duty driving his Corvette.

this is the point that i was making in a past post (cant remember which one) about what you would/should do if you pull over an off duty officer, arrest or not,,my stance was your not doing anyone any favors and possibly putting yourself in a bad situation. i caught a little flak for it, not to bad, but my position still stands, drunk is drunk & = 10-15

Comment

I see your point but I can not remember the name of the thread either.
      I think this might also go along with the thread about why some of the general public have little respect for LEO
      Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Straight Up]I see your point but I can not remember the name of the thread either.
        I think this might also go along with the thread about why some of the general public have little respect for LEO

Comment

That sucks. We recently had a lateral hire from Cleveland show up during the academy over a .08 and he had been on the range for several hours when they discovered it. Sad part was he drove there.

TGY
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

The Columbus media have made it a big point to teel everybody the officer that was arrested worked the DUI Task Force and the Sheriff is highly and very visably embarrassed.

Cincinnati media have made it a big point to show how bad the wreck was that the dead off duty officer caused. One SUV crushed and and another car on it's top. Very Very horrendous.

Makes cops look bad all over Ohio

Comment

As a civilian, I don't really understand how this story makes his department (or ohio LEOs in general) look bad. Just because a drunk driver has the same job as you doesn't really say anything.

The thing about not charging fellow officers for DWI, however, could potentially turn a case like this into a media nightmare...

Comment

A drunk driver is a drunk driver, cop or not. If I'm stupid enough to drive when I'm drunk, I don't deserve a break, regardless of my job or my rank.
                Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by not_a_cop
                  As a civilian, I don't really understand how this story makes his department (or ohio LEOs in general) look bad. Just because a drunk driver has the same job as you doesn't really say anything.

The thing about not charging fellow officers for DWI, however, could potentially turn a case like this into a media nightmare...
                  If this guy was anything but a police officer do you think they would even bother mentioning his occupation.
                  Police are generalized as corrupt, lawless by a lot of people. And when things like this happens it just reinforces those peoples beliefs, and sways others as well... It makes it that much harder for an honest officer...
                  "You guys all drive drunk so why you telling me what to do...." Because he saw some story about one cop who did...
                  Retired 02/01/13

Comment

In Central Ohio at least 25 to 30 drunk drivers get nailed per day and no media mention is made unless the person stopped is a sports figure, politician or POLICE OFFICER.

Comment

I can't see how an officer could do this to homself/herself. I mean, they see the firsthand reprocussions of drinking and driving, youd think it would make them want to stop, or atleast call a ride.

And a reason it makes ALL cops look bad is because people don't think of cops individually (It is hard to when they all dress the same and drive around identical cars) so if one cop Drinkd and Drives, than all the cops are no good drunks.
                      U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                      Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Sharks, killer trucks, bad politicians, dirty restaurants, the media don
                        Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                          In Central Ohio at least 25 to 30 drunk drivers get nailed per day and no media mention is made unless the person stopped is a sports figure, politician or POLICE OFFICER.
                          Perhaps because higher ethical behavior is expected from those who enforce the law?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                            Perhaps because higher ethical behavior is expected from those who enforce the law?
                            Hmm... That is an idea.
                            But then again cops are people, not robots.
                            U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                            Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet
                              Hmm... That is an idea.
                              But then again cops are people, not robots.
                              Yes, cops are human. But cops of all people should know better. The public holds the enforcers of the law to a higher standard & that may be the reason cops may get so much press in instances such as this. None of us are perfect but at times I wonder if our code of ethics still means anything.

Law Enforcement Code of Ethics

I do solemnly swear that I will support the constitution of the United States, and that I will faithfully and impartially, to the best of my knowledge and ability perform the duties of the said office according to law.

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve the community; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all and will behave in a manner which does not bring discredit to me or my agency. I will maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the law and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, political beliefs, aspirations, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear of favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will never engage in acts of corruption or bribery nor will I condone such acts by other police officers. I will cooperate with all legally authorized agencies and their representatives in the pursuit of justice.

I know that I alone am responsible for my own standard of professional performance and will take every opportunity to enhance and improve my level of knowledge and competence.

I will constantly strive to achieve those objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4285 users online. 235 members and 4050 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X