Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He's running with a backpack and you....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • He's running with a backpack and you....

    ...do what?

    Given this month's events in the UK and the general acceptance that it's going to happen to us someday, have you or any of your departments even thought about this one?

    You are on patrol and you see a young middle eastern male with a bulky coat or backpack running towards a bus screaming, or with a strange look on his face. You do what?

    The outcome can be anything from you being a hero to going to jail or dying. Under current law and policy the only thing you might be able to do is tackle him. If he is a terrorist, you will have saved a bunch of people when he blows himself and you up. I know that is the ultimate part of the job, but I'd rather have some other options.

    My point is the current deadly force laws don't even begin to imagine suicide bombers. Any thoughts? I'm also curious as to what will happen to the UK officers who shot the subject today.
    "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

  • #2
    as far as the UK officers, from what i watched on tv, they have outstanding orders that if they believe someone is a suicide bomber, shoot, do what ever you have to, to nuetralize the threat. as for here, you better be damn good at articulation.

    Comment


    • #3
      before you get slaughtered for saying "an arabic", what about the people like that one guy, an american, who was captured in a training camp in afgan. hmmmmmmmmmm.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gotthblues
        before you get slaughtered for saying "an arabic", what about the people like that one guy, an american, who was captured in a training camp in afgan. hmmmmmmmmmm.
        Actually, I did that on purpose. It could certainly be anyone, but it is PROBABLE it will be an arabic. I have NEVER been accused of being PC.

        If they put out a broadcast saying a Chinese guy just robbed the Exxon, I'm looking at all the Chinese guys. They'll just have to get over it.

        But your point is appreciated.
        "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

        Comment


        • #5
          It's a different world from what we enforce the laws in.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Drunkcop
            Actually, I did that on purpose. It could certainly be anyone, but it is PROBABLE it will be an arabic. I have NEVER been accused of being PC.

            If they put out a broadcast saying a Chinese guy just robbed the Exxon, I'm looking at all the Chinese guys. They'll just have to get over it.

            But your point is appreciated.
            i figured that , but ive seen i few around that believe liberalism is more important than life,,,,by the way, gooood question,,i wonder how long til it really happens.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gotthblues
              i figured that , but ive seen i few around that believe liberalism is more important than life,,,,by the way, gooood question,,i wonder how long til it really happens.
              Suprised it hasn't happened yet. Just look at the video recorded by the MinuteMen coordinators... how many illegals were carry bags of some sort? Who knows how much explosives or blasting caps could (or has been) carried over our southern border!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                i know that happens,,i meant how long before an officer is in a situation where he fires, or should have fired at "an arabic male carrying back pack running for train, bus" or whatever.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Drunkcop
                  I'm also curious as to what will happen to the UK officers who shot the subject today.
                  I have a feeling that the plainclothes people who shot the suspect in London were SAS or some other non-police agency. They operate under much different rules, and Britain doesn't have Posse Comitatus.
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6. My answer, " Dispatch, We have shots fired at the..."
                    Last edited by SR-25; 07-22-2005, 10:06 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gotthblues
                      i know that happens,,i meant how long before an officer is in a situation where he fires, or should have fired at "an arabic male carrying back pack running for train, bus" or whatever.
                      Ah, gotcha, my bust... lil drowsy from applications and resumes.

                      I say it will be more of a worry once the rest of my boys over in Iraq start ending their enlistments and move into the civilian sector. My crew is on their third tour right now... and after that many times, you can't help but be itchy. Goes back to: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... odds are it is a duck!
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        if its a duck you shoot it, pluck it, & gut it...where you putting in apps.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Delta784
                          I have a feeling that the plainclothes people who shot the suspect in London were SAS or some other non-police agency. They operate under much different rules, and Britain doesn't have Posse Comitatus.
                          I suspect you are right...and I am certainly not implying they shouldn't have done it, given the circumstances and the high probability they knew a lot more than we do about the target...
                          "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Guess what? It finally ahppened int he U.K. They saw a person in a bulky coat carrying a backpack run into a commuter train after being ordered to stop. Several officers tackled the suspect, then an armed officer walked up and shot him five times in the head.
                            Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              According to the BBC report, they had been watching the house he came out of in direct relation to the subway bombings. They told him to stop several times and then pursued him, tackled and restrained him, and then he was shot 3 or 5 times, this is as yet confirmed. As for in the head, I have not read that in any reliable new report, but I would highly doubt that.

                              He was a suspect, he fled. Can't feel too bad for him, and this is coming from one of the more liberal members of this board.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6807 users online. 352 members and 6455 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X