300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD - CD - MP3 Player

I can get a Pioneer at Wal-Mart for $89. Are they any good?

Pioneer's a good brand, that is, I've never had problems with pioneer equipment I've owned. You'll notice a vast improvement over VHS with a DVD player.

Besides, DVD players are like CD players... they started out expensive, but now fairly decent ones come cheap, hell, you can get 50 dollar DVD players now.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
    -Mark Twain

Comment

New technology is usually very expensive at first, such as when DVD's first came out. However, since the basics were already there from CD players, the cost dropped quickly.

Anything by a reputable manufacturer (Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, Philips-Magnavox, Sony, etc.) is worth getting. Besides, at $89, if something does happen to it a couple years from now, it won't be a hard decision to dump it and get a new one.

The first CD player I bought (Technics-BLECCCHHH!!!) cost me $360 at the PX in Heidelberg back in '86. About two years later when I got back to the States, it started acting up and it cost me $150 to get it fixed. Less than 2 years later it started doing the same thing. I picked up a Sony 5 disc changer for $249, slightly more than what it would have cost to fix the other one. That one lasted me 10 years and 8 moves before it crapped out. The DVD player cost me about the same as the CD Changer only a couple years after they came out.

Comment

Another reason why electronics have become so cheap is because many of them are now being manufactured in low-wage countries.

I have a Sony DVD player that's just under a year old. On the back it says "Made in China." [Frown]

Comment

Pioneer has just launched the SUPERIOR DVD recorder in the UK

DVD recorders have only just come out THIS YEAR in the UK and are priced
          from your old mate
          c h i e f y
          global chiefy to yer seadog seafarin' maties

Comment

Chiefy, I have the Philips DVD Recorder (the DVDR985), and I absolutely LOVE it. It's a bit pricey here in the US (it's now $800, but was $1000 when first introduced), but I think once the prices start to approach the $500 mark they will become more popular.

It's helped me to enjoy my digital cable and "TiVo" (digital video recorder) a lot more. In order to take advantage of digital cable, I set the TiVo to record in "high quality" mode, meaning it cuts the recording capacity from 30 hours down to 14. When the TiVo's hard disk starts to get full, programs that I wish to save get transferred onto DVD. I get to preserve the original digital quality that is impossible to duplicate with VHS tape.

The Philips uses the newer "plus" (+R/W) format, the Panasonic and Pioneer the slightly older "minus" (-R/W) format. After checking out the specs between the two, I personally prefer the plus format, as it's more straightforward and more VCR-like.

The DVD's that I've made play on just about every player that I and my friends and family have, except that the DVD player on my Dell laptop won't play +R/W (rewriteable) disks; it will however play the +R (write once) disks.

I just took delivery of a +R/W unit for my desktop computer (it's a Dell factory part, but made by Philips). I did it so that I can get into video editing, something that's a bit difficult to do with the standalone recorder. Now if I can only figure out how to work the software

Info on the DVD Plus Recording Format

Comment

I just have a DVD-ROM drive on my computer, so I rip dvds to it, and then have video out going to the t.v on our other computer... it's pretty cheap. you can buy a DVD burner too for like 200 bucks now.

'course, I also have cable in to the computer, so I can record shows and screw around with'm. God I wish I had a broadband connection for replay t.v!!!

[ 12-18-2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: n567 ]
              Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
              -Mark Twain

Comment

hey sig m8 thats mucho interesting my friend

glad you're enjoying your DVD recorder, nice one

I am extremely interesting in getting one, because up in my LOFT I have 12 - 15 x 3 hour VHS tapes, recorded 1990 - 1996 which I wish to transfer ASAP onto DVD

they are just VHS tapes of my kids aged 4 - 10 on holiday, at parties etc etc. and I love those tapes SO DARN MUCH really
                from your old mate
                c h i e f y
                global chiefy to yer seadog seafarin' maties

Comment

Chiefy, if all you want to do is transfer those VHS of your kids onto DVD, and nothing more, you may want to consider finding a place that specializes in this. It MAY be cheaper than buying a standalone recorder, at least until the prices come down.

n567, when I wanted to get into DVD recording I was torn between buying a standalone recorder and buying a DVD burner for the PC. After reading up on the subject, and after my own experiences with trying to import video into a computer, I decided to get a standalone recorder.

My TV and TiVo are in the living room, and my desktop is in the dining room, and for me to import video to a computer I would have to run a 25-foot long video/audio cable between the two. Not only is this unsightly and a potential trip hazard, but with those lengths I have concerns about signal loss.

After a couple months of having the standalone recorder, one feature I'd really like to have, but is somewhat difficult with the standalone recorder, is the ability to edit out unwanted portions of video (such as commercials) that I've already recorded. Hence the reason for buying a DVD burner for my PC. Now I just need to figure out HOW to do it with the software (neoDVD) that I have.

Comment

Ahhhh, well, our system is rather easy, one of our computers is right behind the t.v and everything, so cabling is a breeze, and our ethernet cords are out of the way... It makes everything quite conveniant.

Right now I don't see the need for a burner myself... (as soon as my hard drives fill up, however...)
                    -Mark Twain

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5963 users online. 345 members and 5618 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X