300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Talk

Does anyone know what departments in CA are going back to plain English instead of the 10 and 11 codes? This may be just a rumor, but Ive heard it from a few different people.

*My opinion and knowledge only*

In Canada you always have a choice about whether you use the 10 codes or not. In the restricted radio operators course they tell you that you always have the option to have something told to you in plain english instead of the 10 code.

Personally I prefer 10 codes as they sound "cooler" and the regular non-radio-following-person can't understand.

--Keep in mind, I am just a Paramedic.

Comment

Not answering the question, because I don't know about Cali, but when ****'s hitting the fan, plain english is the way to go. 10 codes are good for when the rat is standing beside you and you're running his name. When they come back with info "he's 10-63" (wanted on a warrant) he usually doesn't know what that means and doesn't bolt.
      "Support Our Troops"

Comment

We have the option, but generally in non-emergency situations most choose to use the 10 codes. I can't speak for any other agencies.
        "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

The 10 codes become ineffective though when you deal with the same scanner listening ****heads all the time. I don't know how many I've had come back with warrants (10-99) and without mention of the word "Warrant" I hear "That's bull****, I dont' have no warrant!"

The codes do go pretty much out the window during ****storms though. I don't even know the code for pursuit, or an armed subject, or even send backup for that matter. They're never used, in my county anyway.
          "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

To add to my previous post. Interestingly enough the only time we really are taught to use 10 codes is out 10-2000 code. That's our we need immediate police assistance (life or limb).

The way it is suppose to work is we would say our vehicle number then 10-2000 and all we would hear back is 10-4. Then radio silence. That way the "bad-guy" doesn't know whats coming.

(Dispatch 5186 10-2000....5186 10-4)

This is what I see happening with some of our dispatchers.

Dispatch 5186 10-2000
            -vehicle calling go ahead
            (more hurried) 5186 10-2000
            - 5186 repeat your last transmission you were cut out..
            -10-4 5186
            - Police are on the way to your location...Confirm 123 Somewhere St..

At this point I think I would start throwing my radio at the person and running for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SR-25
              Does anyone know what departments in CA are going back to plain English instead of the 10 and 11 codes? This may be just a rumor, but Ive heard it from a few different people.
              I've both read this, and heard this from my chief. I think its gonna happen eventually, in all 50 states. Its just a matter of time, and personally, I don't really care.
              "I only had a couple!"

Comment

the only two problems i see with plain talk, 1- you get the old wind bag farts (no offense) that talk way to long on the radio (10 codes keep it short & sweet) 2- you might have problems with dispatch when the guy comes back with warrants, and they should ask you if you are ready to receive what they are about to say. (without the dispatch saying "he has warrants, do you want me to tell you know or later"???????????? but from what ive been reading on this post and past posts, even the 10 codes are different from place to place.

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9

Personally I prefer 10 codes as they sound "cooler" and the regular non-radio-following-person can't understand.

Every one that has a scanner in my town knows the 10 codes. It doesn't really do any good to use them. I can see it going to plain english. Even more so when scramblers become more common.

Comment

I was told that officers were getting ear pieces hooked up to their radios so that if the dispatcher did have to tell the officer about warrents, the subject would have no way of knowing.

Comment

ive seen officers on the news that have the headsets,,,are they wireless (i hope, or i wouldnt want one) and how do they work if they fall out,,can the hand held revert back to traditional use?

Comment

I can't wait till those wireless earpieces become mainstream, its bound to happen within a few years. It'll be nice.

I agree with a previous post about the Officers who like to hear their voice on the radio. That will be a serious drawback to plain talk. Its already a pet peeve of mine, and dispatchers too. I hate it when Officers clear from a call and feel the need to replay the whole damned incident over the radio and give their disposition and outcome. Just say 10-24 (assignment complete) and 10-8 (in service) and be done with it. Dispatchers don't care, and unless its gonna make me laugh I don't either!
                        "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

The purpose of using codes over the radio isn't to be secretive or is it to sound "cool". The purpose is speed. The quicker you put out the information the quicker the airwaves are freed up again. The is important because you never know when someone might need to use the radio more than you.

"Radio, I'm doing a traffic stop" is slower to say than "Radio 10-37". If you get shot or stabbed and someone keys up over the radio before you, which would you rather them say?
                          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I'm from Cali and i havent heard that and i have friends from other agencies.

Comment

we use both 10-codes and plain english. sometimes a call cannot be totally summed up in a 10-code. and as far as people with scanners, most people in our county have a copy of our 10-code sheet, so they really don't conceal anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3381 users online. 214 members and 3167 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X