300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Security

I am curious how big is the private security in other countries and do you have armed response units that respond to burglar alarms and panic buttons
    If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Private security is a big business here; big and small, always in competition.

As for response to alarms and panic buttons, yes, they have response to them. That's mostly what I did when I worked in the private security industry. I'd patrol accounts, and respond to alarms when they occured. Alarms could be burglar alarms, panic or hold-up alarms, fire alarms, or supervisory alarms(like fire risers, sudden temperature drop in a flower shop, etc.). And, at the risk of hearing jabs about the "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial, we would also respond to medical panic alarms here and there.

We were armed, and each car carried a metal strongbox containing keys to most of the alarms we responded to. Keys to each account were in a 3" x 5" envelope, with only a number. Dispatch had in their information which number envelope were the keys to the particilar location.

Upon arrival at the alarm site, we were usually met by the police or other responding authority(FD, EMS, etc.). Upon seeing no signs of foul play, we would determine what caused the alarm, remedy the situation or call in a service technician to do so, secure the business, and leave.

About 97% of the time, alarms were triggered by such factors as the weather, power line surges, subscriber error, faulty equipment, intrusion by birds or stray animals, and so many other factors. There is no such thing as a "false alarm"; something made it go off, whether it was intentional or accidental.

As if that were not enough, the company I worked for was certified by Underwriter's Laboratories(UL). That went to show our alarms were top of the line, and we had standards we had to adhere to.

Periodically, a UL inspector would be in town, and there were several locations where UL had installed a "test jack." The inspector could place a plug in the test jack to activate the alarm, then go hide nearby, to see how long it took us to respond, how we went about doing our job, were in the proper uniform, etc. That's when the inspector would approach the scene, where we had to ID him.

I've had my share of suprises, and have made my share of apprehensions.
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4333 users online. 240 members and 4093 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X