Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made it on my first "Civil Servant" list.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made it on my first "Civil Servant" list.

Well out of 134 applications I made it into my first list. We had the "Written test", then the "Physical aptitude test and then the "Oral Interview" and only 16 people passed them all and made it onto the "Civil Servant" list and I came in at #12. Not the best, but at 37yrs. old I made it into the list and it's my first attempt at a Law Enforcement position. So I am pleased and hoping over the next year enough positions will open up that I might get called for an interview..... Thanks folks.
    "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

How did the oral interview go? Any interesting questions?

Comment

Is this for corrections or something? There are states that let you test for police positions at 37 years old?

Comment

134 that's a short list or one page around here. What was your overall score and what are your real qualifications for the job. If a younger person has better education and is healthier in the hiring eyes you won't get hired.

Do they use a rule of 3 where they take three interview them and keep on and then move on until they exhaust the list or reduce it to those they will hire ?

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
          134 that's a short list or one page around here.
          I'm glad I'm not in Ohio! That would be a pretty big turn-out for applicants for some departments in downstate Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            134 that's a short list or one page around here. What was your overall score and what are your real qualifications for the job. If a younger person has better education and is healthier in the hiring eyes you won't get hired.

Do they use a rule of 3 where they take three interview them and keep on and then move on until they exhaust the list or reduce it to those they will hire ?

Good Luck.
            Bodie,
            134 seems to be average for the size city I have been applying to which around here is around 40k-60k population. My overall score is unknown at this point. I say that because I went to the open city council meeting last night and they read off the names of the folks who made it onto the list and my name was among them and the council accepted that list. Scores I believe will be sent out later. I won't go into my qualifications in this POST but I have a lot of continuous experience from my current job of 10 years and more from previous empoyment including Army training in the "combat arms" area but no formal LE training, if that answers your question. I don't want to get into a discussion of applicable skills at this point simply because every department needs a variety of skill sets to compliment the basic LEO training and I have those, maybe not as good as the next guy but I do have them and I have talents that they don't so we'll see. Some one with a better education is always an issue so I will do the best with what I have an continue to improve my own education in this process. As for physical aspect of things, with the exception of one issue I asked about in one of my first POST's on this site I am extremely healthy both generally and in the physical fitness aspect of things, so I am not too concerned about that though it is a factor. I did extremely well in the PAT(Max'ed it) with this first department and I keep myself in very good shape at this point in my life...not for someone my age but for any one and that....won't stop, whether I am a LEO or not.
            To answer your last question, yes...they use the rule of "3", so I may be disappointed if I don't make it but I wont be bitter because I know good folks will have made it and they will be working towards public safety and that is a good thing... Thanks Bodie.

Originally posted by Matto
            How did the oral interview go? Any interesting questions?
            I felt I could have done better on the interview and that feeling was borne out by my lower placement on the list. This being the first "Oral interview" I have had, I don't know yet what qualifies as interesting in comparison to others. However, one question I thought was very interesting was one that required me to state what I would have done given a certain situation step-by-step. The situation was this...

You are an on duty officer in uniform driving a marked patrol car at 2:00am at night when you pull into a 7-11 for some coffee. There are no other vehicles in the parking lot or people around, it is quiet and rather dull. As you are getting out of your patrol vehicle the front door which is on the passenger side of your vehicle, to the 7-11 bursts open and a man runs out holding a pistol in one hand. You see a body laying on the floor as the man starts to run parallel to you and your vehicle. What do you do, step-by step?

My answer is long enough for me not to want to type it out, but I did get a compliment on my "tactical awareness" as one of the officers who interviewed me walked me out afterwards.

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
            Is this for corrections or something? There are states that let you test for police positions at 37 years old?
            This is for a "Police Officer" position. I guess Washington state does, though I know most if not all Federal Law Enforcement positions are cut off when you turn 36, some military time not with standing. I may be wrong about the age limitation limit for Federal but I don't think so.

Comment

Yes. There is no age limit in Georgia. I've seen 50+ year olds go to the police academy and become officers.

I think to allow anything less is age discrimination. If they can do the job, let them do it.
              Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Glade to hear it....

Great job Grizzly. I am 36 yr. old going for the LMPD. I have to talk to other officer about the age factor and they have said many times that some of the best police officers' did not get get started until they where in there 30's. I don't think you will have any problems getting on with a dept.. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly
                  Bodie,
                  134 seems to be average for the size city I have been applying to which around here is around 40k-60k population. My overall score is unknown at this point. I say that because I went to the open city council meeting last night and they read off the names of the folks who made it onto the list and my name was among them and the council accepted that list. Scores I believe will be sent out later. I won't go into my qualifications in this POST but I have a lot of continuous experience from my current job of 10 years and more from previous empoyment including Army training in the "combat arms" area but no formal LE training, if that answers your question. I don't want to get into a discussion of applicable skills at this point simply because every department needs a variety of skill sets to compliment the basic LEO training and I have those, maybe not as good as the next guy but I do have them and I have talents that they don't so we'll see. Some one with a better education is always an issue so I will do the best with what I have an continue to improve my own education in this process. As for physical aspect of things, with the exception of one issue I asked about in one of my first POST's on this site I am extremely healthy both generally and in the physical fitness aspect of things, so I am not too concerned about that though it is a factor. I did extremely well in the PAT(Max'ed it) with this first department and I keep myself in very good shape at this point in my life...not for someone my age but for any one and that....won't stop, whether I am a LEO or not.
                  To answer your last question, yes...they use the rule of "3", so I may be disappointed if I don't make it but I wont be bitter because I know good folks will have made it and they will be working towards public safety and that is a good thing... Thanks Bodie.

I felt I could have done better on the interview and that feeling was borne out by my lower placement on the list. This being the first "Oral interview" I have had, I don't know yet what qualifies as interesting in comparison to others. However, one question I thought was very interesting was one that required me to state what I would have done given a certain situation step-by-step. The situation was this...

You are an on duty officer in uniform driving a marked patrol car at 2:00am at night when you pull into a 7-11 for some coffee. There are no other vehicles in the parking lot or people around, it is quiet and rather dull. As you are getting out of your patrol vehicle the front door which is on the passenger side of your vehicle, to the 7-11 bursts open and a man runs out holding a pistol in one hand. You see a body laying on the floor as the man starts to run parallel to you and your vehicle. What do you do, step-by step?

My answer is long enough for me not to want to type it out, but I did get a compliment on my "tactical awareness" as one of the officers who interviewed me walked me out afterwards.

This is for a "Police Officer" position. I guess Washington state does, though I know most if not all Federal Law Enforcement positions are cut off when you turn 36, some military time not with standing. I may be wrong about the age limitation limit for Federal but I don't think so.
                  Hm, well, I am curious to hear your answer when you have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
                    Yes. There is no age limit in Georgia. I've seen 50+ year olds go to the police academy and become officers.

I think to allow anything less is age discrimination. If they can do the job, let them do it.
                    That's ridiculous. So if they go into the academy at 50, they'll still be on the job at 69? I'm glad we have a cap at 35 years old here.

Comment

That's ridiculous. So if they go into the academy at 50, they'll still be on the job at 69? I'm glad we have a cap at 35 years old here.
                      Are you reffering to the city of NY or the state? Cause Buffalo, NY has no upper age limit according to their website

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                        Are you reffering to the city of NY or the state? Cause Buffalo, NY has no upper age limit according to their website
                        I'm referring to the entire state of NY. Civil service law prohibits applicants from being over 35 to sit for an exam, with the exception of veterans. If the Buffalo Police have something different on their site, it's incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Matto
                          Hm, well, I am curious to hear your answer when you have the time.
                          Matto,
                          I didn't mean to put you off, I just ran out of time yesterday. I will put down as best as I can what my answer was, please remember I don't know if this answer is correct and as I think back I see where I may have been incorrect in some areas.

The question was this...
                          You are an on duty officer in uniform driving a marked patrol car at 2:00am at night when you pull into a 7-11 for some coffee. There are no other vehicles in the parking lot or people around; it is quiet and rather dull. As you are getting out of your patrol vehicle the front door which is on the passenger side of your vehicle, to the 7-11 bursts open and a man runs out holding a pistol in one hand. You see a body lying on the floor inside the store as the man starts to run parallel to you and your vehicle. What do you do, step-by step?

My answer was this
                          Last edited by Grizzly; 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Grizzly]Matto,
                            I didn't mean to put you off, I just ran out of time yesterday. I will put down as best as I can what my answer was, please remember I don't know if this answer is correct and as I think back I see where I may have been incorrect in some areas.

The question was this...
                            You are an on duty officer in uniform driving a marked patrol car at 2:00am at night when you pull into a 7-11 for some coffee. There are no other vehicles in the parking lot or people around; it is quiet and rather dull. As you are getting out of your patrol vehicle the front door which is on the passenger side of your vehicle, to the 7-11 bursts open and a man runs out holding a pistol in one hand. You see a body lying on the floor inside the store as the man starts to run parallel to you and your vehicle. What do you do, step-by step?

My answer was this

Comment

Just because they start a job doesn't mean they have to work until full-retirement. Some older people don't expect that when they start a new job. If they are physically able,let them do the job. If they can't do it, force them to retire.

I think people should be able to follow their dream jobs at any age if they are physically able.
                              Last edited by AtlCop; 07-21-2005, 07:57 PM.
                              Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5930 users online. 356 members and 5574 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X