Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prayers--- Roll call?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prayers--- Roll call?

    How many people's departments commence with a prayer to end roll call?

    My department does and solicits volunteers if none you are chosen. Unless you advise them you are not doing it.


    Daver
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell (1903 - 1950)
    ~Esse Quam Vidiri~

  • #2
    On Christmas Eve & Christmas Day, the Catholic & Protestant Chaplains come to each roll call, and after the desk sergeant says his piece, he dismisses us with the announcement that anyone can stay to listen to the Chaplains if they want. Each Chaplain gives a short speech, followed by a group prayer.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

    Comment


    • #3
      We do. Someone volunteers for it, if not the lt. will do it. I, myself, no not participate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Daver
        My department does and solicits volunteers if none you are chosen. Unless you advise them you are not doing it.
        Sounds like a good way to get sued, even in the South. Remember, the Evil Atheist Conspiracy is everywhere.


        http://www.evilatheistconspiracy.org/
        *Not a cop*

        Comment


        • #5
          I think you could only be sued if it was compulsory. There are places (i.e. LE and the military) where some may find it helpful to pray with thier co-workers.
          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Daver
            How many people's departments commence with a prayer to end roll call?

            My department does and solicits volunteers if none you are chosen. Unless you advise them you are not doing it.


            Daver
            I think it's a good idea, but never thought of it as a group thing. I do it myself every day on my drive to work and on my drive from work.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mosetti
              I think you could only be sued if it was compulsory.
              Nuh-uh. Look what's happening with non-compulsory prayer at the military academies.

              There are places (i.e. LE and the military) where some may find it helpful to pray with thier co-workers
              Duh. I'm sure there are also places like art galleries and fast food restaurants where some may find it helpful to pray with co-workers, too. But I understand what you mean about LE and the military being in greater danger or whatever and seeking comfort through prayer. But that doesn't mean it should go on during roll call.

              Personally, I like the way Delta's department does it much, much better.
              *Not a cop*

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lsmalibu
                Nuh-uh. Look what's happening with non-compulsory prayer at the military academies.
                Actually, the problems in the service academies (Air Force) come from the endorsement of a particular religion not group prayer. In the case I think you are reffering to, cadets were unduly harrased for not subscribing to a particular religion. A group of Police Officers can get together and pray before a shift without fear of lawsuit as long as it is not compulsory, just as a group of soldiers can recieve mass before entering combat.
                No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

                Comment


                • #9
                  I see no problem with it.

                  If people want to Pray (to which ever God they serve) let them pray. If they dont want to pray then they dont participate.
                  As long as no Haggeling or any form of punishment is directed toward those who dont participate then there is no problem.

                  What gets me is when some of those who dont participate and recieve no negitave recourse - complain about how "offended" they are.

                  If your not forced to participate yet others do out of their own free will / desire how can YOU be offended? Dont you think that if you prohibit them from participateing that it will Offend THEM?

                  Sounds alittle Selfish to me.

                  Its like if you dont like the TV show your watching switch channels. If you dont like people praying around you ... go to another room.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    we are not allowed to, the ACLU has made the state of california tell us that there is no place for prayer in our line of work...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CHPMarine
                      we are not allowed to, the ACLU has made the state of california tell us that there is no place for prayer in our line of work...
                      God bless the ACLU, because no one else will.
                      No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mosetti
                        Actually, the problems in the service academies (Air Force) come from the endorsement of a particular religion not group prayer. In the case I think you are reffering to, cadets were unduly harrased for not subscribing to a particular religion.
                        What I was actually referring to was the lunchtime prayers at the Naval Academy. While the academy refers to them as non-compulsory, it's kind of hard for the midshipmen to walk out and not participate.

                        A group of Police Officers can get together and pray before a shift without fear of lawsuit as long as it is not compulsory, just as a group of soldiers can recieve mass before entering combat.
                        I totally agree with this. They can get together before their shift and pray or hang back after roll call and meet in the squad room or corp yard and pray. I just don't think it belongs in an official roll call.
                        *Not a cop*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CHPMarine
                          we are not allowed to, the ACLU has made the state of california tell us that there is no place for prayer in our line of work...
                          Oh yeah, I think I read that on their website. One of their official positions is that no one should ever pray at any time to any god at all.
                          *Not a cop*

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CHPMarine
                            we are not allowed to, the ACLU has made the state of california tell us that there is no place for prayer in our line of work...
                            What i want to know is.....
                            1) Is'nt Praying a Civil Liberty?
                            2) Is'nt Freedom of Religion and freedom from Religios Persecution one of the main things America was FOUNDED for?
                            3) How can their be no place for prayer in our line of work when we see the scum of the earth day in and day out?

                            ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) ... Please!
                            SCLU (Socialist Communist Liberal Union) is what the acronym should be

                            I would think Hope, Prayer and Faith in something would be in our line of work or people (officers/ even soldiers) would simply fall into deep depressions.

                            Check the definition of Liberty:
                            1.
                            a. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
                            b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.
                            c. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor. See Synonyms at freedom.
                            2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control.
                            3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.

                            Sounds to me that the ACLU is over stepping its bounds:
                            Instead of protecting our "Civil Liberties" like it was founded for ...
                            It is trying to Restrict our civil liberties.

                            Things that make you go........ Hmmm!
                            Last edited by Radio; 07-19-2005, 01:26 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Radio
                              What i want to know is.....
                              1) Is'nt Praying a Civil Liberty?
                              2) Is'nt Freedom of Religion and freedom from Religios Persecution one of the main things America was FOUNDED for?
                              3) How can their be no place for prayer in our line of work when we see the scum of the earth day in and day out?

                              ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) ... Please!
                              SCLU (Socialist Communist Liberal Union) is what the acronym should be

                              I would think Hope, Prayer and Faith in something would be in our line of work or people (officers/ even soldiers) would simply fall into deep depressions.

                              Check the definition of Liberty:
                              1.
                              a. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
                              b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.
                              c. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor. See Synonyms at freedom.
                              2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control.
                              3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.

                              Sounds to me that the ACLU is over stepping its bounds:
                              Instead of protecting our "Civil Liberties" like it was founded for ...
                              It is trying to Restrict our civil liberties.

                              Things that make you go........ Hmmm!
                              Ugh, not to be the constant ACLU defender, but blatant misinformation like this makes me want to PUKE!

                              First of all, the ACLU never said prayer doesn't belong in law enforcement. CHPMarine is obviously listening to too much talk radio. If you can find me a lawsuit or press release by the ACLU saying California LEO's can't pray, I'll eat a frikkin' phone book with salt and ketchup.

                              Second off, the ACLU has defended more peoples' right to express their religious beliefs than probably any other organization.

                              For example:

                              December 22, 2004: ACLU of New Jersey successfully defends right of religious expression by jurors.

                              November 20, 2004: ACLU of Nevada supports free speech rights of evangelists to preach on the sidewalks of the strip in Las Vegas.

                              November 9, 2004: ACLU of Nevada defends a Mormon student who was suspended after wearing a T-shirt with a religious message to school.

                              August 11, 2004: ACLU of Nebraska defends church facing eviction by the city of Lincoln.

                              July 10, 2004: Indiana Civil Liberties Union defends the rights of a Baptist minister to preach his message on public streets.

                              June 3, 2004: Under pressure from the ACLU of Virginia, officials agree not to prohibit baptisms on public property in Falmouth Waterside Park in Stafford County.

                              May 11, 2004: After ACLU of Michigan intervened on behalf of a Christian Valedictorian, a public high school agrees to stop censoring religious yearbook entries.

                              March 25, 2004: ACLU of Washington defends an Evangelical minister's right to preach on sidewalks.

                              February 21, 2003: ACLU of Massachusetts defends students punished for distributing candy canes with religious messages.

                              October 28, 2002: ACLU of Pennsylvania files discrimination lawsuit over denial of zoning permit for African American Baptist church.

                              July 11, 2002: ACLU supports right of Iowa students to distribute Christian literature at school.

                              April 17, 2002: In a victory for the Rev. Jerry Falwell and the ACLU of Virginia, a federal judge strikes down a provision of the Virginia Constitution that bans religious organizations from incorporating.

                              And that's just since 2002.
                              *Not a cop*

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2892 users online. 168 members and 2724 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X