300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory PT???

So I'm just a little curious if those of you in departments/agencies have a PT standard???The sheriffs office I belong to currently doesn't have anything in place...but after a couple of our boys had their [email protected]@'s handed to em by one inmate...a new policy is in the works...

We have one, but it's a joke. I'm 22 and have almost 17 minutes to run 1.5 miles.

Comment

I'm all for taking care of yourself, but I don't want anything mandatory coming from my job. Excersise is my time to destress, I don't want to have to do it at work around some of the same people that cause most of my stress.

Comment

Originally posted by curlyblue
        I'm all for taking care of yourself, but I don't want anything mandatory coming from my job. Excersise is my time to destress, I don't want to have to do it at work around some of the same people that cause most of my stress.

i agree with you. i think that working out is personal time to destress and if made mandatory, could cause resentment and actually make excersise itself stressful.

Comment

I have to totally disagree with those who say pt is strictly a personnal thing. You can do it alone, but in a group setting it builds unity, pride, and a better understanding of each other; it can also be fun and motivating. However, I have to qualify my statement, I'm thinking about the military here, and most police departments are not "the military".

Looking at the physical fitness of the average police officer a pt program could be useful, the problem would be getting one started, it's hard to when your senior sgts. and lower grade supervisory officers are in worse shape then the new officers. How can your respect someone who is barking orders at your to work out and be in shape when that person is overweight and couldn't do what he/she is asking you to do. Maybe a department would be wise to start be making it manditory for senior personnel for a period of time before extending that mandate to all officers. Of course there will always be profiles (those who are unfit to do pt but are still fit to work).

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56

Comment

I've always thought that, at least, departments should have some sort of incentive for meeting certain PT standards... more pay, bonus, extra vacation, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by jnojr
              I've always thought that, at least, departments should have some sort of incentive for meeting certain PT standards... more pay, bonus, extra vacation, whatever.
              Are you kidding? That would cost money and boost moral.

Comment

im all for it, if you are in shape, you are healthier (less insurance increases), you feel better (i never met someone in shape who was always tired & grouchy), and the ability to do your job, save your life, & other officers life, depends on your fitness level (it may cost you), they shouldnt have to bait officers to get in shape, but if thats what it takes, do it. the DT instructor at my academy said it best "how would you like to know that you are getting your *** handed to you & your back up is only 100 yrds away (on his knees sucking air) because he's too lazy to get in shape" i dont think any agency expects their officers to be triathalon athelets or power lifters, but asking them to be in good enough shape to run 50 yrds and still be able to fight. i had my eyes opened by a 5 1/2 ft 150lbs (approx) terd, & i was 6-3 240 lbs at the time.

Comment

Could a line SGT do PT with his squad? You know have a formation before hitting the streets, stretch, do some cardio, weight lifting, etc? Why don't they?

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56

Comment

Originally posted by BigT
                    So I'm just a little curious if those of you in departments/agencies have a PT standard???The sheriffs office I belong to currently doesn't have anything in place...but after a couple of our boys had their [email protected]@'s handed to em by one inmate...a new policy is in the works...
                    The agency I'm working on getting hired with doesn't have a mandatory standard in place, but the culture in the organization is such that "you're not one of the team" if you don't achieve the voluntary yearly testing standard.

It's a fairly common physical test - push-ups, flexibility, curl-ups, 1.5mi run.

To see where I stood, I did the test last year - 28-yr-old female, I only got 40/50 marks in the 1.5 mi run - my time? 12:37

Not tough standards, but certainly not simple either.

Comment

My employer won't make PT mandatory for liability reasons. If they require us to work out, they have to put us on the clock. The only PT in place is with our CERT team. We have to qualify once a year. It would be nice if the facility would encourage healthier lifestyles.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                        Just remember that PT and DT are two very different things! If personnel are "losing fights", mandatory PT (by itself) won't help...
                        They really are the same thing if you stop and think about it. Contrary to what a lot of people claim, defensive tactics are almost useless if you don't have the physical strength and size to execute them.

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                          They really are the same thing if you stop and think about it. Contrary to what a lot of people claim, defensive tactics are almost useless if you don't have the physical strength and size to execute them.
                          I agree, they do go hand in hand. Being a DT instructor in our department when we do Redman drills and Simulated fights, boxing etc. Having the cardio capacity to fight effectively is just as, if not more important than skill itself.

When the (feces hits the oscilating blades) and your fighting on the roadside, or in a cell with a badguy I honestly think your cardio traning and will to fight and survive are most important.

The most important thing, NEVER GIVE UP... People give up when they run out of juice...

DT training does have its place and is important, dont flame me too hard.
                          Retired 02/01/13

Comment

We used to require our personnel to pass a strenuous physical performance test once a year. Pass the test and you got an extra $130 per month in your paycheck. Fail the test and you could be fired.

The logic here was that by maintaining a high level of physical fitness, you could reduce work related injuries and workers compensation costs to such an extend that it would more than cover the extra $130 per month physical performance pay for everyone.

However, because the test was only given annually, most of the officers let themselves go the r4est of the year until a month or two before the test and then worked extra hard to get back in shape in a short period of time. In addition, because you could lose your job if you failed the test, maintaining physical fitness became a work related task and workout injuries became compensable under workers compensation and retirement laws.

To make a long story short, so many officers injured themselves each year preparing for the test that the workers comp and retirement costs far exceeded any projected cost savings and the program was abandoned.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

if you keep in shape you have nothing to worry about.
                              -Stay safe

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4039 users online. 190 members and 3849 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X